• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jocke P

Jocke P

Backtracker

• PipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 11:48 AM

I have Always had a soft spot for the Monogram cars from the 60´s and when i saw the build report in the July 1965 R&C (by Bob Braverman) some ten years ago, i bought a body on Ebay.

20140122_220956.jpg

It was very rough, the roof is partially melted from gluing the windows, the rear wheelarches were opened up and the rear Valance is missing together with most other details....a perfect Project car....

20140131_170521.jpg

I have a chassis made of two different parts that fits the body and the build instructions fairly well....

What do you suggest that I make of it, should I go all in and try to replicate the build, or should i do something else?

I can make pictures of the article, but am hoping that it is available here on slotblog somewhere deep in the archives...

I also have the old Atlas 208 motor that could substitute the Pittman DDC 196A ...if i rebuild it....

Joakim Pegers

#2 Quickcars

Quickcars

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 12:36 PM

Joakim,

I'm also partial to Monogram cars from this period and I have the Lola, 904, 250 GTO, Cooper-Ford and the 275p.  They are really neat cars and all run pretty well.  My favorite car from this era might be the Revell Mercedes though.  I have the Cox cheetah and Ford GT but I don't think they run as well as the Monogram or even the "non set" Revell cars.

Are going with this type of motor because of the article?  Are they really preferable to the 16D "can"?

I do enjoy how well my Atlas cars run with this motor but I'm not convinced that they are superior to 16D powered cars.  I do think that they outperform my vintage F-1 cars with 13D motors.

Just curious....

Selfishly speaking,  I want you to rebuild it so that I can learn a thing or two...

• Jocke P likes this
Paul Quick

#3 Jocke P

Jocke P

Backtracker

• PipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 01:05 PM

I do not have any Pittman motors, or 65X armatures as specified in the build, but that was obviously the thing to do if you wanted to win races in june 1965...development of the can motors had not yet taken off. I was thinking of tuning the Atlas in that case... I could easily put a Fox2 or even a Ninco motor in it and have a very driveable car...or i can put a 16D in it, even a Mura.... and have a reasonably driveable car...playing with ideas right now, that´s why i put it up here....
Joakim Pegers

#4 gluebomb

gluebomb

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 08:30 PM

Hey Joakim

I think building that up as per the article with a Pittman or similar is a great idea. I built a stock Revell 250 GTO a while back but put a tiny open frame Ram in it and it corners beautifully - the modded Monogram frame with a lowered motor would be better again I'm sure. I suspect there might be the bonus of a bit of magnatraction with these cars when the motor is set down like that - anyone else  ?

So yes, do that and show us; I've a similar slavaged lola body that's asking for something other than a stock rebuild so post back as curious as to how it all works out.

S.

Simon Wing

#5 Jocke P

Jocke P

Backtracker

• PipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 05:43 AM

Thank you for the input Simon,

I know there has been a Proxy race for cars with the Pittman motor, do you know if there is anything going on right now that could be applied for this type of build?

Would be neat if there was one for builds based on the Atlas motor as well, or maybe an Open Can Open.....

I will make new windows in spring for the Lola, as well as headlight covers. Have already made resin replicas of the Airfix Cortina rear lights, let me know if you need anything for your build, I´ll make some extra parts.

JP
Joakim Pegers

Electric Dreams Online Shop