9 replies to this topic

#1 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,547 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 10:31 AM

This video probably doesn't fit this forum very well, but it's simply too good to bury in Freeblog.

• Tim Neja likes this

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#2 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 42,284 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 10:48 AM

Great story, and 3D printing is only the beginning. By 2020, replacement hearts and other organs made of rejection-proof materials will often replace real organ transplants.

I have a friend, a noted heart surgeon, who is making such devices now and progressing at high speed in collaboration with the Chinese government because our FDA is lethargic.

Philippe de Lespinay

#3 chaparrAL

chaparrAL

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,268 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:26 PM

Saw this in MAKE magazine. Isn't this great?

I have been busy learing Autocad since joining TechShop and will be doing 3D printing soon!

Love it!
Al Thurman
"Everything you love, everything meaningful with depth and history, all passionate authentic experiences will be appropriated, mishandled, watered down, cheapened, repackaged, marketed, and sold to people you hate." Von Dutch [Kenneth R. Howard] 1929-1992
."If there is, in fact, a Heaven and a Hell, all we know for sure is that Hell will be a viciously overcrowded version of Pheonix." Dr Hunter S Thompson 1937-2005
"Whither goest thou, America, in thy shiny car in the night?" - Jack Kerouac 1927-1969
"Hold my stones". Keith Stone
My link

#4 Tim Neja

Tim Neja

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 6,803 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 07:54 PM

It's awesome what 3D printing will bring for affordable human parts!!

Very cool info, Greg!!
She's real fine, my 409!!!

#5 Dennis David

Dennis David

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 08:41 PM

Al,

How do you like TechShop? I always wonder if it'll end up like gym membership. Though I will probably make the dive later this year.

Dennis David

#6 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 25,547 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 03:23 AM

Very cool info, Greg!!

It's the human part of the equation that warmed my heart. The kid so clearly loved what his dad had done for him and was so positive.

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#7 Electric3002

Electric3002

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 10:19 AM

I work at a medical device company. We have a plant that is dedicated to rapid prototyping and this additive manufacturing will change the future,however, we do not believe it will replace subtractive machining any time soon or even at all. If interested look it up on mmsonline.

Robert Firch

#8 James Grandi

James Grandi

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 12:57 PM

We are utilizing rapid prototyping in the jewelry manufacturing industry as well. Creating either one-off pieces for customers or creating a model which we mold in silicone rubber to make a production run with. If you can get the equipment to work correctly and understand how to use it, these machines are fantastically useful. It's nice to see that they are being used to improve the quality of life for those who need it as well. The amount of good that can be done with this technology is limitless.
James Grandi
obSCEne Chassis
HVR BB Fronts
Bodies by Weaver

"There is no such thing as a race you are destined to lose. You will always have a chance."

#9 chaparrAL

chaparrAL

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,268 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 02:07 PM

Dennis instead of exercise equipment and sweat its like a Gym for the noggin.  A country club for geeks.  

You should check it out if you have one close. I like it.

If its OK with Cheater I may infact start a topic on TechShop and post a video.

Al Thurman
"Everything you love, everything meaningful with depth and history, all passionate authentic experiences will be appropriated, mishandled, watered down, cheapened, repackaged, marketed, and sold to people you hate." Von Dutch [Kenneth R. Howard] 1929-1992
."If there is, in fact, a Heaven and a Hell, all we know for sure is that Hell will be a viciously overcrowded version of Pheonix." Dr Hunter S Thompson 1937-2005
"Whither goest thou, America, in thy shiny car in the night?" - Jack Kerouac 1927-1969
"Hold my stones". Keith Stone
My link

#10 Dennis David

Dennis David

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 04:19 PM

We have three of them in the Bay Area and I did a tour so I'm sold on the concept just need to make sure I'll use it enough. 

Dennis David

Electric Dreams Online Shop