• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 George Kimber

George Kimber

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 05:53 PM

Ron Spencer was one of the top UK 1/24 scale racers of the Tottenham Era between 1968 and 1972.

He won a couple of Tottenham Opens and was a regular finalist up against the legendary Barry Magee and Bob Hallums. The Tottenham Opens would often attract over one hundred entries. Tottenham was the UK's major raceway in Hammersmith, London.

It will always be remembered for the famous routing of the UKs best slot racers by Bob Emott, who sailed over to the UK from the US and showed how good he and the US pros were in 1968.

Ron had rekindled his interest after many years and attended North London Retro Club and met up with Bob Hallums and Mickey Graves. He planned to race at Millstream but after one brief visit sadly never returned and passed away.

In a tribute to their father his family decided to stage a memorial race at Millstream Raceway, near Bournemouth, England. Twenty0ne drivers attended including four racers from Raceway 81 who made 700 mile round trip. The cars had to represent the '60s  to early /70s era .

The Late Ronnie Spencer  (L) Eddy Macdonald (C)  and Mikey Graves (R).jpg

L to R, Ron Spencer, Eddy MacDonald,  and Mickey Graves.

The track, a 205-foot Ogilvie-constructed Daytona. 

Millstream Daytona 205 ft Giant built by Steve Ogilvey.jpg

The race format consisted of each driver racing in two segmented races each of four lanes with the overall laps counting, with the top eight drivers racing in the Main Final with choice of lane. Local driver Anthony Raine looked to be favourite some way ahead, George Kimber made his long journey worthwhile by qualifying third with Mickey Graves, Robert Henderson, Adrian Gay, and Richy Kettleson also making the Final.

The pre-race photo shoot.

Driver Photo Shot.jpg

The Final.

The first corner was to prove costly to favourite Anthony Raines when he tangled with a couple of deslotted cars and gave George the opportunity to gain a half lap advantage which he maintained to the end of the fifty-lap final, despite Anthony piling on the pressure. Adrian Gay took the final podium position. 

George with the Winning Car.jpg

George's reverese Iso frame.

Georges Winning Frame.jpg

Second place frame as used by Anthony Raines (not quote early '70s). 

RSMT Anthony Raines .jpg

George's Winning Moment.jpg

That winning moment, some 50 years on from his first National title in 1965! 

The cars in scrutineering

The GRID .jpg

The trophy presentation by Ron's daughter with Adrian Gay (L) and Anthony Raines behind George.

The Podium Winners @ the RonnieSpencer Memorial Trophy.jpg

The legend Bob Hallums (on right) talking to past Tottenham Raceway manager.

Tottenham Raceway Legend Bob Hallums .jpg

Nice shot of a Tottenham chassis.

Adrian Gay Chassis.jpg

#2 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,284 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 07:27 PM

George,

Thanks for the report. Great stuff! I wish I could have been there...

The late 1960s were really a very special time for slot car racing at the top level. Nice that many of the "old guys" are still around, except of course for Ronnie, RIP.

• George Kimber likes this

Philippe de Lespinay

#3 Matt Bruce

Matt Bruce

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:06 PM

Great run, George!

I like that frame.

Matt

#4 Gator Bob

Gator Bob

Grand Champion Poster

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,391 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:12 PM

Way to go, George!

It was a real treat to race with you even if it was only once.

All the cars you brought over with you were wonderful and the one you signed for me is a trophy.

Congratulations, it is great to see you this happy.

George Kimber Wins.JPG

Posted Image
                            Bob Israelite

#5 George Kimber

George Kimber

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:51 PM

Philippe, Matt, and Bob,

Thanks for your interest in the UK racing scene.

As you guys know, it is all about the quality of the car and now and again you get a car where everything is right.

The motor, handling, and traction combine to give you a winning car. You are driving at 90% while your competitors are flat-out. Of course you still have to bring it home and for me at 65 I would have expected to have lost the reactions. So to beat the young hot shots as well as the oldies on their own track is as good as it gets.

Thank you, Bob, for your kind words. I will be over in July and hope to get across to Tampa for a bit of Retro racing so maybe we will catch up again!

Found these images in a Slot Magazine article for the Ronnie Spencer Memorial Event which includes a picture of a young Ronnie after a Tottenham Raceway victory!

GK.jpg

Electric Dreams Online Shop