19 replies to this topic

#1 geardriven

geardriven

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 11:31 AM

Hi,
I just bought an extremely nice 1/32" Aurora - K&B 1965 GTO. This car is extremely nice...white body, red racing stripe. Stripes and chrome are perfect...chassis/body/whole car looks brand-new.
It will be a collector piece and I am interested to learn whatever I can about this car....part if a set?... Technical specs.....? Spare parts availability/suppliers?.... 6v?...12v..etc, etc.....
Any kind of information, websites, etc. for this newbie would be appreciated.
Chuck Tresp

#2 slotcarone

slotcarone

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:05 PM

I have the same car and part of a set with a red 65 mustang. It was a 1/32 aurora set with track and controllers. Still have it too!!
  • Jocke P likes this

Mike Katz

Scratchbuilts forever!!

#3 don.siegel

don.siegel

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,697 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:10 PM

In general, these were available in two versions: the Aurora set cars, and the K&B kit cars (K&B was a subsidiary of Aurora for a few years in the 60s).  The former have press on wheels and the latter threaded wheels. Can't remember offhand if there were other main differences. But I'm sure Philippe and the other experts will soon chime in! 

A very handsome car by the way, and should make for a good display. 

Don 

#4 slotbaker

slotbaker

Dan Gurney Fan

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 05:54 PM

The 1/32" K&B 1965 GTO kit was the 2nd slot car I bought, and is one of my favourites from a nostalgia point of view.

The body in the kit was blue, and it had the threaded axles and wheels.

I was very disappointed in it's performance when I first put it on the track.

Talk about slow... so it didn't get raced at all, but after I had played with it for a while, the motor ran itself in and it gained quite a bit of speed down the straight, but a bit tippy in the corners.

It turned out to be a fun car, and as Don says, it's a good looking thing as well.

I was lucky enough to pick up another one up a while ago to re-kindle some of my youth of the early 60's.

Steve King

#5 don.siegel

don.siegel

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,697 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 06:02 PM

Good story Steve, thanks! 

You must have been running on wood, or with aluminum rails, because in fact on Carrera track these days the K&B cars have a bit of magnetraction if the tires aren't too tall... 

And we tend to forget (or never really knew as teens) that many of these motors needed a lot of break-in to put out any speed at all... 

Don 

#6 slotbaker

slotbaker

Dan Gurney Fan

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:01 PM

Chuck, sorry for the hi-jack.

Don, the track I started racing on began as Scalextric, and was progressively changed over to timber with copper braid.

As a 13yo, I didn't really know too much about the differences, and wasn't aware of the cars using magnets for traction.

Chuck, I think both the set and kit cars had 12v motors as standard, but there was an after market 6v motor available, and they appear reasonably often on eBay for not too much money.

Steve King

#7 Gator Bob

Gator Bob

Grand Champion Poster

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,739 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:21 PM

I have a used front bumper/headlight part leftover if anyone needs it.

Bob Israelite

#8 geardriven

geardriven

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:52 PM

Hey Guys,
Thanks for all the chime-ins. I have some newer Scalextrics, Slot.its, etc. I race with, but I have just gotten into collecting some of the older stuff and I like to know of its history and background. I am always tempted to run some of my old, nostalgic stuff on my home Scalextric track, but some I spoke to said some of the nostalgic stuff (like Strombeckers) run on lower voltages and the last thing I'd like to do is damage or melt an oldie to the ground....any info on running older stuff on newer track set-ups would be great.
Gator Bob, if you have no use for the GTO parts and are offering them up, I will take them off your hands and keep them for spares. let me know how to proceed.
And no concerns about hijacking the thread..... I enjoy the hobby as well as the people that make it a hobby..
Any other information on the '65 GTO will be appreciated.
Thanks
Chuck Tresp

#9 slotbaker

slotbaker

Dan Gurney Fan

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:08 PM

All of the mainstream 1/32 and 1/24 slot cars run ok on 12~13 volts, so no problems with melting motors.

Most tracks used to run on 12v automotive car batteries (some with continuous charger attached) so the cars should handle the charging voltage of 13.8v. (Some track owners use 13.8 as their standard voltage)

Some of the cheaper 'toy' like slot cars that use only battery packs of much lower voltage may be a problem as they are designed for voltages around 4.5v and lower.

The sales spiel in the early days promoted motors with low voltage ratings as having more performance, so main stream motors designated @ 3v, 6v, or 9v etc worked ok on 12v, but at a higher RPM.

Steve King

#10 Gator Bob

Gator Bob

Grand Champion Poster

• Banned
  • 12,739 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:16 PM

Chuck, it is yours as a spare unless some is missing one to complete a car.  

Lets see if anyone replies, send me a PM titled GTO in two weeks time with your address as a reminder.

Bob Israelite

#11 geardriven

geardriven

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 10:18 AM

Slotbaker,
Thankful for the clarification. I suspected the 12.0v - 14.0v range would be OK on the bulk if the oldies.
I have one of the 1965 Strombecker Barracudas on which I was advised never to put on a Scalextric track. I thought this car come from a transformered set, hence the 12.0v - 14.0v range would be safe.... Could you clarify ...?
GatorBob..... All good on the GTO part. I'll hook up with you in a few weeks.
Chuck Tresp

#12 don.siegel

don.siegel

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,697 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 10:46 AM

Not sure why that advice was given; except for the very earliest sets, Strombecker always used roughly 12 volt transformers.

Somebody may have been getting that confused with Eldon, which did have some 6V sets. And even then, it's not necessarily fatal to these motors. The only thing to really watch out for is not using an AC transformer, which would come with the early lane-change sets with diode-equipped cars, like the Eldon Selectronic, or the few sets with vibrator motors, like the early Aurora HO cars and the Circuit 24 cars here in France - that would be fatal to a DC motor!

Don

#13 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 41,308 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:15 AM

There is quite a difference in the capacity of certain vintage motors used on the standard 12V in the day, when most transformers today provide higher voltage (14 to 18V) but less current. This causes serious heat issues in vintage motors and is the cause of numerous failures. I would recommend anyone running vintage slot cars to use a variable power supply where they can keep the voltage down to 12, and allow more current so that the motors can "drink" what they are able to and keep cool.

The K&B Pontiac, issued only in kit form, had a blue, red or white body but unlike the Aurora RTR version sold in racing sets or individually in large window boxes, did not have painted stripes or the little American flags on their doors.

One can also tell the difference between the Aurora and K&B chassis quite easily: first, the chassis are engraved underneath with each brand, and second, the wheels are different: press-on with 3 kidney-bean holes on the Aurora, threaded and plain on the K&B because they received plated wheel inserts.

P1130109.JPG

P1130108.JPG

cat-kb321-1826.jpg

• slotbaker and Gator Bob like this

Philippe de Lespinay

"We are the D..., uh, the Borg. Lower your shields and surrender your ships. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile"

#14 Gator Bob

Gator Bob

Grand Champion Poster

• Banned
  • 12,739 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 12:39 PM

I went and got the part .. now I'm not sure it is even correct. :o

It looks worse in the picture vs. the naked eye ... LOL :yes:  :wacko2:

BTW: it is 1.726" wide, molded in red. Could it be 1/43 1/48th O-Gauge scale? Grand Prix? :unknw:

IMG_2658.JPG IMG_2659.JPG

Bob Israelite

#15 geardriven

geardriven

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 08:15 PM

Hey Gator,
Pontiac?...yes 1965...?...i I don't think so. The '65 GTOs had the turn signals down in the lower openings of the bumper. The first GTO with vertical headlamps and turn signal lamps up in the grill(s) was '66...unless this was a Pontiiac other that the GTO.
Chuck Tresp

#16 JohnnySlotcar

JohnnySlotcar

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,873 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 09:58 PM

Looks like a pontiac grand prix,possible IMC by Bud Anderson.

John Austin

#17 slotcarone

slotcarone

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:23 PM

:) That bumper is from a 1964 Grand Prix I am pretty sure!!

Mike Katz

Scratchbuilts forever!!

#18 sportblazer350

sportblazer350

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,863 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 06:55 PM

i have several of this series of K&B/Aurora cars. I race a GTO and it is all original and in stock form, just replaced the rear tires with new after market slip ons, and it performs very well on wood and plastic tracks,. it handles well and is pretty fast for an old and heavy car. Mine is not tippy at all, rather stuck to the track ( the magna-traction from the motor helps?!). A few years back we had regular 1/32 scale vintage races at NJ Nostalgia Hobby, and the best perfroming cars in those races were all K&B/Aurora. Other cars raced were typical Strombecker, Revell, Monograms, etc. I thought the K&B cars would not do well, but surprisingly to me, they were the best. Now I wish I could get my 1/24 scale K&B cars to do as well....

Glenn Orban
vintage slot car enthusiast
NJ SCALE Racing

Hardbody Racing at The Race Place

#19 Quickcars

Quickcars

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 01:24 PM

Hey Glenn!  You must have some awesome K&B runners.  I've had several of the 1/32 through the years and they've all been dogs.  I have a white Mustang now that can't compete with even my non adjustable Revell set cars!  They've always been the slowest cars in my collection.

Paul

Paul Quick

#20 Gary Bluestone

Gary Bluestone

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 03:56 PM

Maybe remagnetizing the magnets will help ! My K&B , Aurora 1/32 are just about the best for vintage racing.

Electric Dreams Online Shop