#1 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,204 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 12:27 PM

From Slotblog member Ken Swanson's Facebook page:

Just received the sad news that R/C legend Gene Husting passed away this morning.

He was a true pioneer in the RC car racing industry. Gene was one of the founders of Team Associated. He had a key role in making the company the huge success it is today. Gene was instrumental in arranging my Team Associated sponsorship many years ago. An amazing relationship which lasted until I got out of the hobby in 2001.

Whenever you called AE Gene would talk to you about set ups, how the cars were working in your area, etc. At major races he would do the same. He always had time for you. He had a hands-on approach to the team.

Above all he was a truly good man. You will be missed by many, Gene. Godspeed.

gene2.jpg

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#2 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 21,204 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 12:31 PM

Very sad news.

I cherish the memory of a fairly long conversation with Gene not long after Slotblog went online, where Gene called me thinking I was PdL. I corrected that error quickly (without telling him how insulted I was! LOL!) and we went on to have a great visit. Gene graciously sent me one of his DVDs, which I'll now have to dig out and watch again.

Gene Husting cut a swath through so many genres: drag racing, slot car racing, R/C racing, etc. For those that don't know, Gene can arguably be called the father of the anglewinder slot car chassis and he also was one of the pioneers in rear-engined dragsters in 1:1 drag racing.

RIP, Gene.

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#3 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 21,204 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 12:36 PM

Posted at LiveRC.com:

Rest in peace to industry icon Gene Husting

Throughout life there are those select few people who not only touch the lives of close friends and family, but thousands of others as well. Today, the R/C industry has lost one of those great people, a true icon to our hobby, and a man that helped to make R/C car racing what it is today. Our thoughts and prayers go out to the Husting family and friends, as the legendary Gene Husting has passed away today. He may be gone, but he will he never be forgotten...

Husting_Pic.jpg

Gregory Wells

#4 John Miller

John Miller

This space for rent

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:32 PM

Very sad indeed. What a great guy! 

RIP, Gene.

"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

ProSlot.png

#5 Tex

Tex

Grand Champion Poster

• 8,794 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:41 PM

RIP, Gene.
Richard L. Hofer

Remember, two wrongs don't make a right... but three lefts do! Only you're a block over and a block behind.

#6 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 21,204 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:48 PM

From redrc.net...

Today the R/C industry has lost one of its true icons as Gene Husting, former co-owner of Team Associated has passed away. The designer of the legendary RC100 and RC500 was also instrumental in getting IFMAR started while also being ROAR vice-president at some time.

Today, March 6 Gene passed away and our condolences go out to the Husting family and those who knew him.

gene4.jpg

Gregory Wells

#7 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 41,292 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:05 PM

Sad, but not unexpected. Gene had dementia and was "losing it", we are all so sorry to hear this.

Gene was very creative, very effective and the hobby owes him a lot: without him it is unlikely that serious organized racing would have got off the ground in 1966, when he convinced Rod & Custom to sponsor his series.

Gene was a drag racing record holder and introduced the anglewinder concept to the then-dubious pro-racing world.

RIP.

Philippe de Lespinay

"We are the D..., uh, the Borg. Lower your shields and surrender your ships. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile"

#8 Tim Neja

Tim Neja

Grand Champion Poster

• 5,334 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:36 PM

Sorry to hear. Gene certainly will not be forgotten. Long-time legend in the slot and R/C car industry. Left a good family.  

RIP to Gene and prayers for the family! He really was a good, caring man!!
She's real fine, my 409!!!

#9 Larry Labounty

Larry Labounty

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 03:23 PM

First time I meet Gene was at 1983 ROAR Nats at Rattleys Raceway In Attleboro, MA. I brought up the race when the anglewinder came out. He broke out with a huge smile and stated what a good memory I had LOL. We had a nice chat.

He looked over my RC300 and made some suggustions on areas to work on. Will always have great memories of that race. First Nats for thirteen-year-old Ralph Burch, first race for the RC500, and meeting Gene for the first time. He and his wife Midge seemed like such a a happy couple!!!

RIP, Gene.

#10 backintheslot

backintheslot

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 03:24 PM

Still have my two RC300s up on a shelf in the garage. 

Gene was a great man. Had the pleasure to hang out a little bit with him at the old Thorpe's raceway on a few occasions.

Godspeed, Gene.

John Albright

I have a chassis jig and I'm threatening to use it!

#11 zipper

zipper

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 04:18 PM

RC2, RC100, RC300, RC500, RC12... He was a hero of mine - RIP.
Pekka Sippola

#12 Gator Bob

Gator Bob

Grand Champion Poster

• Banned
  • 12,739 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 04:22 PM

RIP, Gene.

Thanks for leading the way with great contributions to our hobby and slot racing in particular.

So in Gene's honor I will name the "Rods and Rails" proxy as the Gene Husting Memorial.

• Samiam likes this
Bob Israelite

#13 Mike Patterson

Mike Patterson

Village Luddite™

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:27 PM

And the ranks grow thinner...

I always looked forward to his race reports BITD.

Rest in peace, Mr. Husting.

We all need to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer.

#14 Bob Kolenda

Bob Kolenda

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 10:31 PM

I talked to Gene at the 1992 IFMAR 12th scale world championship race in Grand Rapids, MI. I was the Host club VP and had a lot of contact with Gene. We talked a lot about the early days of pro slot racing and racing in general.

Bob
  • John Miller likes this

#15 Tom Eatherly

Tom Eatherly

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 10:58 PM

Wow! That is sad. Met Gene a couple of times back in the late '60s at various SoCal races. Class act all the way. Really seemed like a very nice guy. RIP.
Tom Eatherly

#16 HarV Wallbanger III

HarV Wallbanger III

Racing inta OLD age!

• 6,023 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:01 AM

Rest in peace, Gene, you will not be forgotten.

Condolences to the family...

Barney Poynor
"BRONCO" BARNEY
Team CORT!

Hello my name is Barney and I was... I am addicted to glue, magnets, and wings... I have been clean and sober years now... NOW I'm hooked on 1/32 club track racing! Dang!

"Even if you're on the Right Track, you'll get run over if you just sit there!"

If you remember
screw-on braid, motors that look like padlocks, that dang fuse wire in Cox controllers, "hand" painted bodies, the very first can motors from Mabuchi, and the smell of wintergreen then you are OLD!... like me!

Enjoy life! Race Slot Cars and read SlotBlog!

#17 idare2bdul

idare2bdul

Grand Champion Poster

• 5,628 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 02:00 AM

Gene was a class act. I'm glad I got the chance to know him. For some reason I never spoke to him about slot drag racing one of my hobbies as a kid and one he dominated but when I started a RC body painting business he gave me a price that went beyond fair. 

The light at the end of the tunnel is almost always a train.
Mike Boemker

#18 John Gorski

John Gorski

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,105 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 08:46 AM

Peace to Gene & his Family. The pioneer in the most important car in Slot Racing the 1st Competitive Pro Scratchbuilt Sidewinder Chassis that changed Slot Cars forever like The Beatles changed music. :sun_bespectacled: 

Attached Images

• GeneHustings1stProCompetitveSidewinder chassis1967.jpg

John Gorski, Jr.

Home of the Gorski Double-Micro Controller

#19 S.O. Watt

S.O. Watt

Graduate Bench Racer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 02:16 PM

I had the honor of meeting and racing with Gene for several years in SoCal. I had first read many of his race reports prior to meeting him and always looked forward to them. As I rose through the local racing ranks he started adding my name to his reports. I found that quite exciting for a young "Geek". He was always a fair reporter, good racer and supporter of slots. I remember winning one of the early Associated RC chassis he had donated and with it, Gene offered some support. I thanked him for that but never really caught the RC bug.

I remember looking at Gene's angle winder at J&Js, probably after either John Anderson or John Cukras had won another race with it there. I didn't "get it" until after the big LA race where his inspiration had led to a total route of existing technology. A real game changer. Thanks, Gene.

I'm sure Gene and "Reeteez" are bench racing again together.

R.I.P

Tom Hansen
Our Gang Racing Team
Cukras Enterprises

Team Camen

Chassis By Hansen

I race and shop at Pacific Slot Car Raceway

Electric Dreams Online Shop