Photo

Revell 1/43 Spin Racers!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Superbird

Superbird

Cast your magic spell my way. I promise to go under it.

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:35 AM

There is a groundswell for kids going on out there that I really like to see.

Carerra's GO tracks, aimed at kids, have broken more new ground than I have seen since the '60s. They capture young imaginations and parent approval with quality engineered slot  products and innovations like the three-step controllers to get the littlest driver over the hurdle of learning to drive. Cartoon characters, wild custom cars get then hooked while crazy loop and bank fun layouts keep them hooked!

I've just been introduced to Revell's spin drive slot sets and I'm boggled! Imagine a slot set without any power supply/controller system and where a kid's own enthusiasm powers the cars! It's like injecting slot racing fun into a kids psyche in a totally hands-on environment! Yes! Please spin the crank! Yes! Please run your glowing car as fast as you want! Yes! Race your buddy and crash 'em up good! It's all for your enjoyment!

How many of my own youthfull afternoons were spent on a slot track in nurf battles with my buddies? It isn't serious slot car racing but it will produce a generation of slot car addicted kids, just like us Boomers!

Visit Youtube, key words "Revell Spin Drive Slot Car Set"

Ironically I found out about this kid-tech when I saw a layout box languishing on the clearance rack at a local chain store. It took me a few minutes to figure out what the heck it was so I wasn't surprised parents were not flocking over to buy it. It was marked down from $150 to $50. It was still too much for me to scarf up to plunder the extra track for another project so I waited and made offers to the store manager. I eventually got it for $35 figuring it was a good price for the 39 feet of 1/43 track. Maybe the cars could be salvaged? Then I saw the videos and realized the potential it has for demos when our local 1/32nd club does recruiting for new/young members! Parent and kids can be introduced to our hobby/sport simultaneously. One demo track of spinners and one with digital scale racing action. We can show that slot racing provides something for everyone.  

Pete Shreeves

#2 Superbird

Superbird

Cast your magic spell my way. I promise to go under it.

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:59 PM

Hi 1/43 Folks,

Here is a follow up on the Spin Racer fun. I have started taking my portable tracks to car shows and race events for kids to play with and have fun. One of the tracks I bring is a Revelle "Spin Racer" set in the form of a small circle track. It helps show the kids that electricity can be very simple and fantastic fun that they can hold in their hands.

The photos show a small track with NO batteries and NO extension cords or transformers. Even adults are fascinated by the concept of a small track attached to NOTHING! Just turn the cranks and the cars go! The photos show how I made the simple wiring very visible and understandable. I usually don't have to explain the wiring since they check it out AFTER they start spinning and having fun.

This educational track works great at car shows but it also came in handy one night when I was at a dance. A nice couple had brought their son who was very energetic and joining in the dancing fun. Everyone enjoyed his company but his parents had little chance to dance with each other. So I went to the car and brought in the spin racer skid pad track. He became so enthralled with the Light-Up cars (that come in the set) that he played for over an hour. He had a blast and the parents had the chance to dance with each other for a while!

Take care,

Superbird

Attached Images

• Spin Racer Circle Track Controller-Generartors.jpg
  • Spin Racer Circle Track with clear walls.jpg
  • Skid Pad Streak at Gee's 6-2014.jpg
  • Skid Pad 3 at Gee's 6-2014.jpg

Pete Shreeves

Electric Dreams Online Shop