• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Steve Deiters

Steve Deiters

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,288 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:48 AM

Another very successful weekend of racing is on the books from Tom Thumb Hobbies in Columbus, OH, with the completion of R4/7. It was everything everyone expected and more.

Many thanks to Mike and Cindy McMasters, their family, staff, and volunteers who did all the things that need to be done to make racing events like this seamless activities enjoyed by so many from the work of so few. 

Also thanks to Noose who did a great job (again) teching all the cars quickly and efficiently and Eric Balicki who did a superior yeoman's job as usual race directing when Mike McMasters wasn't in the directors stand.

Bill Fulmer who always does a great job documenting with photos the participants racers.  

To the slot car manufacturers who donated prizes for the races and the groups and individuals who sponsored the lunches and the Friday night pizza gathering a collective thanks from all of us racers who benefited from it. It keeps us coming back for more racing every year.

Congrats again to Matt Bruce - the racer, the husband, the father, the man for his "Mac Award" well-earned and well-deserved. A very special award and recognition.

In closing thanks to all the racers who travelled all the miles from out of state and locally to make this race special. It is the reason that it is one of the premier events in Retro slot racing.

Already looking forward to the gathering of the Retro racers for R4/8 in 2015. Thanks again to everyone.
  • Pappy, MSwiss, 911GT3 and 3 others like this

#2 TG Racing

TG Racing

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:37 AM

Well said, Steve! Thank you and (who ever pitted next to you) for soldering my braids on my cracked guide. It kept me going in the (Coupe) race.

For me Retro just gets better every year!
  • MSwiss likes this
Thom Greene

#3 Steve Deiters

Steve Deiters

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,288 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:52 AM

That racer with the quick soldering iron and technique on your car was John Miller from Michigan who stepped in with some emergency repairs for a couple racers (including me) over the weekend.

• MSwiss likes this

#4 Noose

Noose

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,176 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 11:48 AM

Can you say best R4 ever? Well maybe not for me racing but sure as heck the way everything went and the unbelievably close racing. Always great too see some great friends and to meet some new folks!

Mike and Cindy as well as the whole staff made this a memorable one for sure. They always seem to make little improvements that have a huge impact.

Thanks to all that came and thanks to all that made my job a lot easier in tech by having things right when you came to tech. This was the smoothest overall tech at any of the premier races so far.

Congrats to the winners because they all put on one heck of a show and for those that were watching it on the video feed I am sure you could tell that. 

Special congrats to Eric Gehrken who came out there with me and put on one heck of a performance for never having seen the track!

Once again, congrats to Matt Bruce on his Mac Award. He truly deserves it. 

And you all better watch out for Ryan Bruce!

• MSwiss likes this

Joe "Noose" Neumeister
Sometimes known as a serial despoiler of the clear purity of virgin Lexan bodies. Lexan is my canvas!
Noose Custom Painting - Since 1967
Chairman - IRRA® Body Committee - Roving IRRA® Tech Dude - "EVIL BUCKS Painter"
"Team Evil Bucks" Racer - 2016 Caribbean Retro Overall Champion
The only thing bad about Retro is admitting that you remember doing it originally.

#5 Pappy

Pappy

Grand Champion Poster

• 14,067 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 02:37 PM

I enjoyed it so much when I was there Saturday that I will be racing in it next year. :dance4:

• MSwiss and Noose like this

Jim "Butch" Dunaway 

I don't always go the extra mile, but when I do it's because I missed my exit. 
All my life I've strived to keep from becoming a millionaire, so far I've succeeded. 
There are three kinds of people in the world, those that are good at math and those that aren't. 
No matter how big of a hammer you use, you can't pound common sense into stupid people, believe me, I've tried.

2000 Jackasses

#6 Cap Henry

Cap Henry

CHR Cars

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 04:03 PM

Thanks to the McMasters family and all their helpers/ volunteers who made this R4 another awesome one to remember. It's always great to catch up with everyone, and it was really nice way to come home from Australia.

I have to thank Steve Koepp/Parma, Precision Slot Cars, Mike Muir, GVP, Joe Ligouri, and Raptor Racing for everything they do for me; none of these races would be doable for me without them. To pick up three TQs and three new qualifying records was awesome, and never missing the podium didn't hurt either LOL.

Congrats to Al Rutti, Willy Custer, Chris Radisch, and Matt Bruce on their wins, all of those races were so close! And how about lil' Ryan Bruce, I call it now, he will win a premier race in a year or two!

The Mac award going to Matt Bruce was very deserving, Matt is one of the most respectable guys in racing, and does it with his family. The whole Bruce family is an amazing group, and I'm honored to be friends of theirs.

It's so awesome to see everyone keep improving every year, and seeing everyone continue to be pushed further and further.

• MSwiss and ejgehrken like this

#7 ejgehrken

ejgehrken

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 05:36 PM

First off I would like to thank the McMasters family and all of their volunteers for making my first R4 such a great event. The event was ran in a well organized and professional manner. It was great to meet and race with many of the Ohio and Mid-Western racers as well as catch up with those I've raced with in the past.

Next I would like to thank Noose for letting me ride out to the event with him and for working tirelessly all weekend performing tech.  

Additionally, I'd like to thank Cap Henry for all of his advice and for loaning me an F1 car on Sunday.

Congrats to Al Rutti, Willy Custer, Chris Radisch, and Matt Bruce on their wins! Also congrats to Greg Fox on making the GTC-PD list with his podium finish in Sunday's F1 race. 

Lastly, congrats to Matt Bruce on receiving the MAC Award. I can not think of one who was more deserving of this award. 

I will personally make every effort to attend this event next year. In my opinion, this is the Daytona 500 of Retro Racing.
  • MSwiss and Cap Henry like this
Eric Gehrken
Gehrken Retro Chassis
2015-16 Retro East Overall Champion
2015-16 Retro East Constructor's Champion
2013-14 New England Retro Racing Overall Champion

#8 The Number of

The Number of

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:54 PM

First the pics:

R4/7 pictures

I will try to add more captions later.

Probably the best R4 yet. As usual Cindy and Mike put on a great event. I saw where someone had compared it to the Daytona 500; it was more like four LeMans 24 Hours back to back for the crew at Tom Thumb Hobbies. Jessica, Kyle, and others kept everything running smooth and stayed open for normal business, too!

Getting to see old friends made it even more special, got to pit next to Sano Dave and Noose, Ray Price, Terry Watson, Matt Bruce, Boogie, and a host of others. Cindy, Tina, and Sharon served up a great lunch evey day, and I don't know who made all the desserts on Sunday but they were outstanding! :good:

Thanks to all the sponsers too many to list by me. I am sure they will all get covered in the race report,

Racing was tight as ever and even more so, Mike and Eric Balicki were great race directors and the program moved at a better pace than it ever has.

One person missing who was missed by all was Mike Patterson who did the artwork for the poster and T-shirts. Mike is the caregiver to his father and a recent surgery kept him home this year.

Good to see Butch Dunaway stopping by and a surprise visit by Rob Voska was also in the cards.

Hope to make it next year. 

Bill
  • MSwiss likes this
Bill Fulmer

The lack of any credible evidence is proof the conspiracy is working!

#9 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:00 PM

Bill,

I am pretty certain that the great desserts (they sent enough Sunday for five times as many racers as were present!) were made by Mike Denney's wife and daughter.

Will someone please correct this if I am in error?

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#10 Dave Fiedler

Dave Fiedler

a dearly-missed departed member

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 03:00 AM

A great race and a great weekend. I've been to every one so far, and can say, this is an event not to miss.

In recent years I have relied on the huge generosity of my slotcar friends in order to attend this event. And it just keeps happening. God bless you all. Thank you Kevin van Pelt, for all you do for me.

A big thanks again to the McMasters family for all they do. Their immense generosity to toward me has been nothing short of incredible.

A big thank you to John Miller, who stepped up at the last minute, got me to Columbus, and put me up (along with Rich Attee). Then an unnamed donor bought me my own room; he didn't want me to sleep on the floor any longer. I only found out who it was Sunday night because John Miller asked him to identify himself. Huge thanks to Bob Appelle, a man as kind as he is tall.

Also, Greg van Peenan and Matt Bruce, thanks for the great Can-Am frame you gave me. It was the best.

All of the people in this hobby of ours are so, so incredibly generous, it makes me proud to belong to such a group of folks.

To the racing. Wow, so close. Young guns (that's anyone under 50 to me), awesome as usual, however; don't get me wrong, because we still got some great ones over 50 (dare I say, even over 60). Cap and Willie, Eric coming on strong, Ricky Jr, these guys are "off the hook" good.

Now to the not too young, not too old group.

The McMaster award winner, Matt Bruce, what can I say, Champ, nobody like ya, a league of your own.

Steve Koepp, love ya buddy, always great racing with you, great job in the F1 main.

Now that I'm to the older dudes...

Bud Bartos, real fast the entire week.

Greg Fox, impressive return to slots, my new friend.

Rick Davis, always the guy, that us older dudes can count on to stay on top.

Congrats to Al Rutti, great win.

I could go on but this thing is getting too long. No one will want to read it.

I know I'm missing many, but am tired and will add later. Oh, congrats to the winners, Willie, Al, Chris, and Matt, great racers all.

Thanks to Cindy, Sharon, Jessica, and the whole crew (specially the food people). Unsung hero, Mike Denney's wife!

I just wish to say how thankful I am that because of all my great friends in slot car racing, I continue to attend these fantastic events.

Also thankful to my best bud Howie for making this possible by saving my life several years ago. (Sorry you didn't have a great week)

Special Young Guns Warning: This Ryan Bruce kid is real fast right now! (don't need to wait any). Thanks, Noose, for all you do.

Sano Dave

PS: Shadow, you still suck, but I still suck more. Gina, you're still the best.

PPS: I mighta shoulda put Steve Koepp with us older dudes. Sorry, I claim tiredness.
  • One_Track_Mind, Pappy, MSwiss and 2 others like this
Dave Fiedler
1953-2015
Requiescat in Pace

#11 George Blaha

George Blaha

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 12:43 PM

Hey ya'lll,

I enjoyed watching the race and cheering my heroes and the choir into slot car nirvana! Thanks to all for as a viewer I know that all is okee-dokee in slot car land.

Shakey George Blaha

A slot car racing promoter and builder

• Cap Henry likes this

#12 Dennis David

Dennis David

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 04:26 PM

Yes it was a great event "from the stands" as well. More exciting than the F1 race and the slot cars actually sound better. LOL

• kvanpelt likes this

Dennis David

#13 Rob Voska

Rob Voska

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 06:40 PM

Am I the only one that reads Dave's post & in my head it's in his gravely voice?  :victory: :good: 

• Terry and Cap Henry like this

#14 The Number of

The Number of

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 07:23 PM

Am I the only one that reads Dave's post & in my head it's in his gravely voice?  :victory: :good:

If I do it is only because the other voices in my head are being quiet for once. :crazy:

Bill Fulmer

The lack of any credible evidence is proof the conspiracy is working!

#15 Lumpy

Lumpy

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 07:48 PM

Gravely voice and his signature cadence when I read it.

I was fully expecting that the "dude/dudes" would have been used earlier and more extensively in his post, though.

The race was an absolute hoot to watch on the live feed.  Almost makes me want to race retro.  ALMOST.

Michael "Lumpy" Palonis

2013 Thee "last" Spec 12 National Champion

2013 USRA Division 1 Am Box TQ

International Brotherhood of Turn Marshals, Local 0

Race Director of Champions

Electric Dreams Online Shop