• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 GT40

GT40

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 09:31 AM

So I have this Carrera set, and it needs to go in the garage, and we park our cars in there. Sound familiar? I bought two 8 foot by 30 inch tables with folding legs (a steal at Walmart, $60 each) and together they make a surface about right for a 5 by 8 foot track. To keep the track intact, I want to attach the two tables together, and be able to hoist them up to the ceiling when not in use. I have some ideas, but just wondering if anyone has tips or tricks on this?

Also looking for ideas on nice track layouts for 1/24 Carrera track in this very limited space.

Thanks!

Steve Walker
"It's hard to make things foolproof because fools are so ingenious..."

#2 A. J. Hoyt

A. J. Hoyt

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 10:44 AM

One could use an electric winch with a switch. The track would have cables at each of the lift points and all would run across their own pulley turning the cable at a right angle towards the winch above the rafters. If there were six cables, there would be six spools that each would wrap up its own cable. This would ensure that each of the cables wound up the same amount of cable per turn of the winch to lift all points evenly.

Another cool trick would be to tile the ceiling and put tiles and fluorescent lighting inset under the track so it would simply rise into a recess in the ceiling, blend in and no one would know it was there.

Like a Jame Bond villain prop, one switch would cause the track to dramatically drop down from the ceiling, to the awe of everyone witnessing it! (A James Bond villain would probably close the deal by creating self-deploying legs as it came down.) The only down side would be the cables from the track to the ceiling (which could be unhooked, I suppose).

Just a thought...

Sorry about the nerf. "Sorry? Sorry? There's no apologizing in slot car racing!" 

Besides, where would I even begin?   I should probably start with my wife ...

"I don't often get very many "fast laps" but I very often get many laps quickly." 

The only thing I know about slot cars is if I had a good time when I leave the building! I can count the times I didn't on one two three hands!

Former Home Track - Slot Car Speedway and Hobbies, Longmont, CO (now at Duffy's Raceway), Noteworthy for the 155' Hillclimb track featuring the THUNDER-DONUT - "Two men enter; one man leaves!"

#3 Pappy

Pappy

Grand Champion Poster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,067 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 10:50 AM

Could you just hinge it to the wall? It would be a lot easier.

Jim "Butch" Dunaway 

I don't always go the extra mile, but when I do it's because I missed my exit. 
All my life I've strived to keep from becoming a millionaire, so far I've succeeded. 
There are three kinds of people in the world, those that are good at math and those that aren't. 
No matter how big of a hammer you use, you can't pound common sense into stupid people, believe me, I've tried.

2000 Jackasses

#4 A. J. Hoyt

A. J. Hoyt

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 11:01 AM

I did that with my HO track in SoCal and indoors after moving to CO. It works great - just a few door hinges on 1x8 boards. I also put hooks so I could lift the track off the wall hinge to transport it. It's a design constraint to make an HO track in a 4 foot wide frame so you can move it in the back of a pick-up or station wagon (all designed to carry a 4x8 sheet of drywall or plywood flat).

Sorry about the nerf. "Sorry? Sorry? There's no apologizing in slot car racing!" 

Besides, where would I even begin?   I should probably start with my wife ...

"I don't often get very many "fast laps" but I very often get many laps quickly." 

The only thing I know about slot cars is if I had a good time when I leave the building! I can count the times I didn't on one two three hands!

Former Home Track - Slot Car Speedway and Hobbies, Longmont, CO (now at Duffy's Raceway), Noteworthy for the 155' Hillclimb track featuring the THUNDER-DONUT - "Two men enter; one man leaves!"

#5 Jeff Buyer

Jeff Buyer

On The Lead Lap

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 12:24 PM

Hinged to the wall is better. This is what can happen if the hoist fails:

P1010031_zps7ec91212.jpg

The cables slipped off the hoist and this track fell. Fortunately nobody was under it at the time.

5/17/53-4/17/23
Requiescat in Pace

#6 Mark Wampler

Mark Wampler

Grand Champion Poster

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,206 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 12:27 PM

Hey Steve, hope that works.  You and Dennis could start a home track circuit thing. :)

Mark Wampler
?/?/1950-3/8/22
Requiescat in Pace

#7 gascarnut

gascarnut

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,938 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 03:45 PM

Steve,

I built a lightweight wood frame, then used laundry line pulleys and nylon rope onto a hand boat winch:

track15.jpg

It worked perfectly, never fell or had any kind of issue.

I think you could build a simple set of wooden rails under your two tables and do something similar.

Dennis Samson
--------------------------
Scratchbuilding is life
Life is scratchbuilt

Samson Classics

#8 woodman

woodman

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 07:07 AM

I had a try oval suspended from the ceiling in my shop for a few years...used steel cable , garage door pulleys and an electric winch.....

This is the latest hoist I built to hold up 3 kayaks....Nylon rope running through pvc tubing...

http://s147.photobuc...t?sort=3&page=1

Steve Crawford

Tracks
Kayak builds

Electric Dreams Online Shop