2 replies to this topic

#1 Boots

Boots

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 03:49 AM

Hi Guys,

I'm not new to HO slot cars, but what I know is from the 60's (as a kid), and then the late 90's (local commercial, 6 lane, HO racing).

As (good) luck would have it, we are having a HO slot car revival here in the San Diego area.

I'm jazzed.

So, as I come up to speed on current HO, I see some cool Colored/hardened? chassis' (440x2 and such) For Sale on eBay.

I raced a lot of 440X2's in the late 90's and have several chassis on hand.

Is it something simple to do, like boil for 5 min in the food coloring of my choice (my first thought!) or is it something more complicated.

If not heat treating by boiling the chassis, how would they treat it to add hardness without making it too brittle?

Another question if you will;

I see some armatures called out to have a Wide Slot. I'm told it is a design that makes more power/torque.

I'd sure like more details.

I thought I knew a little about arms and windings, but since then I've forgotten most what I knew! ;-)

A refresher would be keenly welcome.

Thanks for any input.

cheers

Boots Langley

La Mesa, ca

619-466-7298

Richard "Boots" Langley

#2 Mark Johnson

Mark Johnson

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 12:35 PM

To dye the chassis use rit brand fabric dye in boiling water . This adds moisture to the chassis and makes it more resiatant to cracking but also

a bit more flexible . To stiffen chassis bake in a 200 degree oven for 20 minuets .

#3 John Stezelecki

John Stezelecki

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 11:34 AM

To stiffen a chassis put in in a oven at 250 degrees for about an hour. Put a old armature in the bulkheads and also place an axle in the axle holes. This will help prevent the holes from closing up.

Electric Dreams Online Shop