• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Pshoe64

Pshoe64

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:28 AM

Ok guys, I just received a production ready prototype of the new Auto World Indy Dallara on the, be ready for it... very much improved Super III chassis.  It sits just right and the lines are excellent.  The front wings are bit higher than I'd like, but that was a concession for getting around banked turns without dragging.  I can live with that, since I've worn some serious grooves in the front wings of my AFX Champ cars.

I will have pictures this evening, I was waiting for the green light from AW to post.  I did some out of the package testing and WOW did they make some good improvements.  The pick up shoes are new with a round hook wrapping the brush barrels.  And the traction magnets are now fixed, recessed about .010" into the chassis.  Just enough grab without locking to the rails.  The new armature has a silver comm and runs much much cooler.  Speed out of the package was right up there with Mega-G and Life-Like chassis.  Even bigger news is there will be a parts supply!  Pit kits are scheduled to be released around the same time as the Indy race sets in May.

I'll post pics when I get home this evening.  Watch for the updates around 7:00 PM EST.

-Paul

Paul Shoemaker

Posted Image

#2 Pshoe64

Pshoe64

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 05:45 PM

Here's the pics.  I will say first off, the nose looks high, but clears the bank turns with no drag like other makes.  The rest of the details make up for the necessity of the higher nose.  The new parts and relocated traction magnet position really make a major difference in performance.  It still has the adjustable brush barrels, so you can make some tweaks, but the new silver comm and the higher traction magnets really resolved the heat issues.  I ran 100+ laps and did not see a drop in power and it only got warm, about the same as other mass made inline magnet cars.  Auto World was obviously listening.  The new hook shaped pick up shoes grealy improved the electrical contact also.  Enough of my babbling, let's see the pics!

-Paul

S-IIIFront3_zps6cca6ca7.jpg

S-IIISide1_zps9e4152de.jpg

S-IIIDallaraTop1_zpseb92b729.jpg

Nose Compare to an AFX SRT
S-IIICompareSG_zps39ed4e5f.jpg

Length Compared to AFX Mega-G 1.7
S-IIICompareMG1_zps46a97e17.jpg

Comm and Pick Up Hooks
S-IIICommandPickUpHooks_zps9054b04e.jpg

New Pick Ups
S-IIIPUShoeNew_zpsdfa8135f.jpg

Traction Magnet Height (Kinda Hard to See Here)
S-IIITractionMagnets_zpsd9d03b81.jpg

• Joe Mig likes this
Paul Shoemaker

Posted Image

#3 Pshoe64

Pshoe64

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 05:58 PM

The set is due for a May release, hopefully before Memorial Day. Not sure about the single cars yet.

These will have some nice graphics added by the way. This is a ready for production prototype. No word yet on whose cars they will be releasing.

And the body in general sits no higher than the AFX open wheelers.

-Paul

Paul Shoemaker

Posted Image

#4 MG Brown

MG Brown

Grand Champion Poster

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,743 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 10:47 AM

No offense but they got these out just in time for them to be outdated by the upcoming "body kits".

That's thirty minutes away. I'll be there in ten.

#5 Pete L.

Pete L.

Posting Leader

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 05:38 PM

Fellas,

I guess I'll be giving away my "vintage" if I say that they remind me of the Gurney Eagles that had the wide body work from midships on back...

Peter J. Linszky
6/30/54-6/27/22
Requiescat in Pace

#6 chaparrAL

chaparrAL

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,268 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 09:18 PM

The AW car body fails to cover the chassis like the AFX does. UGLY!

The chassis is a clear WIZZARD car ripoff . Blatant even.  And "Made in China" has to rub him wrong too.  I hear Bobs health is not good these days , but he has been saying he is dying from cancer since 1991. Best wishes to him anyhow, and good luck to AW too.  At least they are trying.

Al Thurman
"Everything you love, everything meaningful with depth and history, all passionate authentic experiences will be appropriated, mishandled, watered down, cheapened, repackaged, marketed, and sold to people you hate." Von Dutch [Kenneth R. Howard] 1929-1992
."If there is, in fact, a Heaven and a Hell, all we know for sure is that Hell will be a viciously overcrowded version of Pheonix." Dr Hunter S Thompson 1937-2005
"Whither goest thou, America, in thy shiny car in the night?" - Jack Kerouac 1927-1969
"Hold my stones". Keith Stone
My link

Electric Dreams Online Shop