6 replies to this topic

#1 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,545 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 09:54 PM

It is with much sadness I report that yesterday we lost another well-known slot racer and forum member, Lee Watson of Dayton, OH, after a valiant battle with cancer. Lee, display name Vannerlee, was a very early member here at Slotblog, joining in February 2006. He raced at several of the R4 races and here's a photo of Lee that was taken at R4/2 in 2009.

leewatson.jpg

Here's Lee's obituary:

Byron Lee Watson, age 78 of Dayton, passed away Wednesday, April 30, 2014, at Hospice of Dayton. He was born May 10, 1935, in Akron, OH, the son of Byron and Mildred Watson. He retired from General Motors (Delco) after 42 years of service. Lee turned his passion of building and racing cars into a lifelong career/hobby. 

He is preceded in death by his parents.

Lee is survived by his loving wife of 56 years, Rosemary; two daughters, Debra Sluzas (Anthony) and Cheryl Shields (Rodd); and four grandchildren, Katrina Sluzas, Jacob Sluzas, Sydney Shields, and Jessica Shields. 

Memorial Service will be held Saturday, May 3, 2014, at 11:00 AM at Newcomer Funeral Home - Beavercreek Chapel (3380 Dayton-Xenia Rd., Beavercreek, OH 45432). Visitation will be from 10:00 AM until time of service at the funeral home. Please visit www.newcomerdayton.com to share a memory in the family guest book.

If you knew Lee and/or raced with him, please share your memories of him with us here.

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#2 Gator Bob

Gator Bob

Grand Champion Poster

• Banned
  • 13,391 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 12:02 AM

I didn't know Mr. Watson but do recognize the Vanderlee handle and have read his posts.

Anyone who worked for AC Delco and  played with slotcars for 42 years plus is good by me.

Sorry to hear it.

You've made it home, the suffering is over so R.I.P. Lee.

May your friends and loved ones have peace in their hearts and strength to carry on.

Blessings to you kids and grandchildren.

I can offer a song for Lee.

"Say it loud, say it clear"

This also goes out to my best gun collector friend Alfred that just left, he reminded me so much of MY Dad. 

Posted Image
                            Bob Israelite

#3 Pappy

Pappy

Grand Champion Poster

• 14,067 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 07:58 AM

I haven't seen Lee in about three years but I raced against him many times. He was an extremely good flexi car racer and hard to beat even up in his seventies.

One hell of a nice guy, he will be missed.

RIP, Lee.

Jim "Butch" Dunaway 

I don't always go the extra mile, but when I do it's because I missed my exit. 
All my life I've strived to keep from becoming a millionaire, so far I've succeeded. 
There are three kinds of people in the world, those that are good at math and those that aren't. 
No matter how big of a hammer you use, you can't pound common sense into stupid people, believe me, I've tried.

2000 Jackasses

#4 Rick

Rick

Grand Champion Poster

• 8,844 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 09:16 AM

Ditto what Butch said. Very nice man, so sorry to read this news. He and I talked at the races in Columbus and always enjoyed the conversations. So sad...

RIP.

Rick Bennardo
"Professional Tinkerer"
scrgeo@comcast.net
R-Geo Products
LIKE my Facebook page for updates, new releases, and sales: Rgeo Slots...

Lead! The easy equalizer...

#5 TG Racing

TG Racing

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 07:33 PM

I first met Lee when we were racing SCX Stock Cars at T/R. I got my first Retro Can-am, an R-Geo jig, and the Stuebe video from Lee and the rest is now history. I also have one of his RetroPro cars I plan on racing next season.

Lee was a class act and will be sorely missed at T/R Motorplex.  

RIP, Lee.
Thom Greene

#6 Mike Patterson

Mike Patterson

Village Luddite

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,525 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 08:01 PM

I'm sorry to hear this. I liked Lee, and still use his directions to find MIamisburg.

Rest in peace, sir.

I am not a doctor, but I played one as a child with the girl next door.

#7 911GT3

911GT3

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 04:07 AM

I first met Lee when I started racing Retro cars. 

Rest in Peace.

Eric Balicki

Electric Dreams Online Shop