Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 03:29 PM

And the auction hasn't ended yet!

From bangshift.com:

bs1.jpg

$322.91, that’s the current value per unit of the contents inside the box you see above. In that box are Hot Wheels cars but that’s not just any box and those aren’t just any cars. What you are looking at is a sealed, never opened, case of 96 Hot Wheels Redline cars. What the hell is a Redline? Basically, every Hot Wheels car produced between 1968 and and 1977 had a red stripe on the outside of the tires, hence the Redline nomenclature. Why are they worth so much? Who the hell knows. People collect action figures and pay stupid money for them so why no toy cars, right? Currently on eBay there are a BUNCH of individual Redline era cars selling for at or damned close to $1,000 apiece, which means that this box is still a hella big bargain because whoever gets it will be able to bust it open and sell the cars in their original packaging for at least a grand and probably more… apiece!

We’re not even counting the fact that there may be at least one (or more) of the specialty cars that were produced each year. Some of those from this same era are well north of $2,000 on eBay. As of this moment, (9:39 EST on Wednesday) the bidding sits at $33,100. As a point of reference, I drove to New Jersey for the NHRA national event in an Audi A3 press car which is a fine automobile with a turbocharged engine, leather interior, heated seats, and pretty sweet styling. It retails for $34,400 as tested. This box will blow past the cost of a new freaking Audi by the time the bidding is done at 5 PM EST today. Keep checking back on this blog item and the link below to see where the damage stops on this box of wonder and mystery.

Of course the next question that arises… will the new buyer actually open the box?

The auction ends in a little over an hour and a half minutes from the time this post is being made. Bid at time of posting is $38,100... and the reserve has not yet been met! Click link below to go to the auction listing.

Unopened Sealed Case of 1970 Redlines

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#2 Pappy

Pappy

Grand Champion Poster

• 14,067 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 03:59 PM

I was thinking about bidding on this but he wants $14.27 just for shipping, screw him. :diablo:  :laugh2:

Jim "Butch" Dunaway 

I don't always go the extra mile, but when I do it's because I missed my exit. 
All my life I've strived to keep from becoming a millionaire, so far I've succeeded. 
There are three kinds of people in the world, those that are good at math and those that aren't. 
No matter how big of a hammer you use, you can't pound common sense into stupid people, believe me, I've tried.

2000 Jackasses

#3 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 05:00 PM

Auction topped out at $40,200 and reserve still not met! Unreal...

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#4 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 14,315 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 08:39 PM

I was thinking about bidding on this but he wants $14.27 just for shipping, screw him. :diablo:  :laugh2:

Shipping to me was only $13.45. For the price he's asking, he could have given free shipping! :wacko2:

Bill Fernald

I intend to live forever!  So far, so good.  :laugh2:  :laugh2: 

#5 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 25,623 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 10:06 PM

So if someone eventually does buy it, what do they do with it?

Leave it or open it up?

Will an x-ray confirm they didn't get duped?

Mike Swiss

Inventor of the Low CG guide flag 4/20/18
IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990), eight G7 main appearances
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder

17B West Ogden Ave., Westmont, IL 60559, (708) 203-8003, mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address)

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 692 Citadel Drive, Westmont, Illinois 60559

#6 Jairus

Jairus

Body Painter Extraordinaire

• Subscriber
  • 10,174 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 10:51 PM

Google search shows that some of the cars released in 1970 sell pretty high individually. Especially the Airshow cars... if those are in the box.
Thing is.... you don't know until someone cuts the tape.

Jairus H Watson - Artist
Need something painted, soldered, carved, or killed? - jairuswtsn@aol.com

www.slotcarsmag.com

www.jairuswatson.net
http://www.ratholecustoms.com
Check out some of the cool stuff on my Fotki!

#7 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 04:19 AM

Will an x-ray confirm they didn't get duped?

That's kinda what I was wondering, i.e. whether an x-ray would reveal what cars are in the carton.

At that level of value, it would certainly be worth the cost of doing if it could tell you anything.

Gregory Wells

#8 Pappy

Pappy

Grand Champion Poster

• 14,067 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 04:46 AM

I think it's crazy to buy the contents of this box sight unseen. I also think it's crazy to sell the contents of this box sight unseen. I personally would open it up and sell the pieces individually.

You sell something for over $40,000 on eBay you're going to have the IRS at your door.

Jim "Butch" Dunaway 

I don't always go the extra mile, but when I do it's because I missed my exit. 
All my life I've strived to keep from becoming a millionaire, so far I've succeeded. 
There are three kinds of people in the world, those that are good at math and those that aren't. 
No matter how big of a hammer you use, you can't pound common sense into stupid people, believe me, I've tried.

2000 Jackasses

#9 Mark H

Mark H

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 05:00 PM

That's kinda what I was wondering, i.e. whether an x-ray would reveal what cars are in the carton.

At that level of value, it would certainly be worth the cost of doing if it could tell you anything.

at that price there needs to be an xray. there was a motorcycle still in the crate for sale and they took it to an airport and had them xray it and posted the pictures with the auction.

who knows what would be in there without it. it could just be all the same car?

Mark Haas

Electric Dreams Online Shop