1 reply to this topic

#1 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,548 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 07:09 PM

"Tim Murphy has unexpectedly passed away.

I just spoke with Dale Kent, Tim Murphy's partner, in Hamilton, Canada where they live. Last Saturday Tim's car broke down on a trip neat Hamilton. He pushed it into a gas station for repairs and afterwards didn't feel very well. Kind of sore and extra tired. Though they thought it might only be the beginning of the flu virus going around, on Monday morning Tim had Dale drop him off at the hospital for a check-up to make sure he was OK. Within five minutes he was gone. The doctors tried to revive him for 25 minutes with no success.

There will be a service for him this Friday in Ontario. He is being cremated. The funeral home is Miller George on Rideau St.

These are all the details I have at this time. Tim's email address, which Dale is using, is tmoutheo@hotmail.com and I hope some of the racers and his friends will send condolences to her. Tim, Dale, and her children moved together a few months ago and were going to spend the rest of their lives together."

(posted at the request of Dan DeBella)

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#2 NateT

NateT

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 24 March 2020 - 06:22 AM

I just came across this post about Tim and just wanted to say something about the man.

I met Tim in the early '90s at the local slot car track that I worked at as a teenager.  He was a very odd man but that is what made him unique and interesting to talk to. He was a fierce competitor and seemingly lived in the grey area of the rules and wasn't above filing the tech gauge to match the width of his car if he couldn't get his narrow enough. 

It wasn't until the local track closed that Tim and I became friends and travel partners. I had been racing scale cars and traveling in Ontario and Michigan when he introduced me to wing cars and the wonderful world of glue racing. In our travels he used to tell me stories from the '70s and '80s of his trips to Michigan and racing with a bunch of guys that probably still race or are in this long list of passed racers.

Tim was not for everyone, as he could be a bit extra sometimes, but he always made me laugh with either or a story or his checkers or wreckers mentality. Honestly, it seemed like wreckers most of the time, and that made for some long car rides home from races.
He had a love of music and not just listening but singing and performing of which he was great at both. He had a stage persona which looked very much like the comic book character Craven only with blond hair. He introduced me to a lot of music I otherwise would have never even heard of.

In the early 2000s I got out of slot racing and lost touch with Tim, as my interests and priorities had changed which did not align with his.
I was racing R/C when I was contacted by an individual who had known me through slot racing and had informed me that Tim had passed suddenly months earlier. 

He was one of the great characters that I have met in slot racing over the years, and although it was been quite some time since his passing, he is missed greatly and we still trade anecdotes about him at our club.

I never got to pay my respects so I am doing this now.
  • Cheater, Pappy, triggerman and 2 others like this

Nate Talaskavich

NateTalaskavich@gmail.com

Track Owner at ONO Raceway in London Ontario

ONO Slot car club Facebook page

Electric Dreams Online Shop