• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 sportblazer350

sportblazer350

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,848 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 10:53 AM

With much of our 1/32 racing changing from traction magnet racing to no traction magnets in the NJ132 racing association, I have been experimenting with tuning various cars without traction magnets and with chassis weights. I have found that the weak spot in many of today's factory RTR plastic chassis cars is all of the slop in the rear bushings, loose axles, poor wheels fit on the axles... so complete replacement with Slot.it parts are a must.

Then, I found the 1/32 TSRF car I purchased a few years back. I had replaced the traction magnet with a Prof Motor gold one, but that gave the car too much magnet traction... then I thought to remove the traction magnet altogether. WOW!!! That is the way to race this car!! Only other change I made was to use slip-on rear tires by Indy Grips. Even without testing with any lead weights, this baby performs wonderfully!! There are no rear axle or wheel issues, the gear mesh is perfect, as this car was always quiet and smooth when new. So I think I found a new class to pursue with the powers to be in the NJ132 racing club... next I need to order a 1/32 chassis set up for the commercial wood tracks!!

PS: When I first built up this 1/32 TSRF chassis/car, it simply would dominate any RTR car with traction mags in NJ132 races, so it never got a chance to be part of that club's racing classes... now I see a whole new way to race these. And we can always swap over to the Fox motor to slow them down, if so desired.

Oh, how this hobby continues to surprise me when experimenting with different chassis mods!! :D

Glenn Orban
vintage slot car enthusiast
NJ SCALE Racing

Hardbody Racing at The Race Place

#2 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,272 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 11:09 AM

Glenn,

So it took you that long to figure out that the TSR chassis will simply bury any other RTR with or without its traction magnet... :laugh2:

May I recommend the use of the TSR/Ortmann rear tires:(THP3112)? They will give you the best grip without traction magnet and will be standard equipment on the new TSR Porsche 959 RTR that will be introduced in January, in collaboration with Slot.it. Out of its box and with zero modifications, this car promises to be the fastest, best-handling, and smoothest 1/32 scale home-racing car ever issued, bar none.

Problem is, once issued, all kinds of "fair-minded" clubs will quickly ban it because it will simply be too good against ANY currently-produced cars straight out of the box, and the situation will be called "unfair".

In fact I will place a $1,000 wager to be paid in cash to anyone able to beat it with a dead-stock, equally out-of-the-box home-racing car from ANY of the current companies, the race to be set on a Carrera layout anywhere. Anyone up to the challenge? :D

PS: This sounds very arrogant, but proof is in the pudding, eh? :)

Philippe de Lespinay

"We are the D..., uh, the Borg. Lower your shields and surrender your ships. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile"

#3 Vay Jonynas

Vay Jonynas

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 11:19 AM

PS: When I first built up this 1/32 TSRF chassis/car, it simply would dominate any RTR car with traction mags...

Interesting! What kind of body are you running? Is it a hardbody? How have you attached it to the chassis?

... Next I need to order a 1/32 chassis set up for the commercial wood tracks!!

I'm confused. Where were you dominating the other fellows then? How would/should a chassis for commercial wood tracks differ from one for a plastic home track?

:huh:
Posted Image

#4 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 41,272 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 12:00 PM

They differ by the tires used. Home racing is generally on plastic track and requires hard-rubber tires, such as silicone or urethane-filled tires, while most of the commercial raceways use traction compound on their wooden tracks, requiring neoprene sponge tires. Hence two versions of the chassis:

Home racing:

Posted Image

Commercial tracks:

Posted Image

The cars used on commercial tracks also require more weight:

Posted Image

In fact a lot more than shown if traction compound is making the track too sticky.

Philippe de Lespinay

"We are the D..., uh, the Borg. Lower your shields and surrender your ships. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile"

#5 sportblazer350

sportblazer350

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,848 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 01:02 PM

Foxhound-

I used an RTR older version TSRF 1/32 car, Indy Grips for rear tires, and a Pro-Track Panoz body, same body as on 1/32 Fly Panoz Esperante, but a hard clear (PETG? ). I mounted in using the standard TSRF/TSR system with side body pins. This body was not the best choice due to fit, others out there fit perfectly.

This car, simply put, outran any other car made then, probably today as well. Dokk, I knew that back then... but until recently, in stock form, I had no idea that without traction magnets that it was such a good platform for building a great car!! Silly me!!! :blush:

Glenn Orban
vintage slot car enthusiast
NJ SCALE Racing

Hardbody Racing at The Race Place

#6 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 41,272 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 03:05 PM

Actually I HATE them with magnets and LOVE them without. They are so much fun to drive because you can make so many mistakes and they are very forgiving. A perfect enduro car that can be driven by anyone for hours without ever getting off the slot.

Philippe de Lespinay

#7 KTM300

KTM300

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 12:37 AM

What will be the retail cost of the RTR 1/32 TSR car?

I read somewhere on this site that the new TSR cars will come with a plastic top plate instead of the metal one. Is that true?
Mike Chavez

#8 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 41,272 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 10:13 AM

Hi Mike,

We do not know yet but the price will be similar to that of currently offered RTRs by TSR, mostly due to labor costs.

As far as its construction, it won't be much different from the car as it exists now, nmeaning glass-filled nylon chassis and steel body mount.

Philippe de Lespinay

#9 Toremeister

Toremeister

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 12:57 PM

Arrogant, naah... SoCal Brutes aren't arrogant...

Order your heap with an Anderson-painted Bentlee and you'll win Concours, too! :D
John Tore Anderson

#10 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 41,272 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 01:06 PM

Toremeister,

Does this mean that you are going to paint the 300 bodies we need right now? :D

Philippe de Lespinay

#11 KTM300

KTM300

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 06:43 PM

In fact I will place a $1000.00 wager to be paid in cash to anyone able to beat it with a dead-stock, equally out of the box home-racing car from ANY of the current companies, the race to be set on a Carrera layout anywhere. Anyone up to the challenge?

I may take you up on it.

I want to see the new Porsche first. Will it be Lexan or hardbody?
Mike Chavez

#12 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 41,272 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 06:47 PM

Hardbody, and it must be stock out of the box versus stock out of the box. :)

Bring 'em on... Test to be on a 4 X 8 Carrera or larger layout. Test with and without stock magnets. Stock tires only.

Philippe de Lespinay

#13 KTM300

KTM300

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 01:14 AM

Do I also need to bring a thousand big ones or is this bet one way?
Mike Chavez

#14 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 41,272 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 09:17 AM

:laugh2:
You may always contribute to a fund for getting Christmas presents to our soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan if you lose... :)

Philippe de Lespinay

#15 KTM300

KTM300

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 10:18 PM

I'll take the challenge. No doubt the TSR car will hold all the cards but I can think of two cars out the box that will give it a good run with stock magnets. No magnets will be a different story and I may look like a bear trying run on a frozen pond but I will just have to practice up before January '08. What voltage are you planning on for this event? A single Carerra wall pack?

You know you may get more takers if you post your challenge on the OTHG web page.

Anyway I hope to see you at the next D3 race this Saturday. Should be a good one.
Mike Chavez

#16 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 41,272 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 10:26 PM

I was thinking of 12-volt for no mags, may be 14 for magnets... beyond that the car is simply too fast to drive. The Carrera pack does not have enough current for a TSRF motor, it trips its breaker at 0.8A.

I think that a Pyramid pack would have to be used.

I MAY make it Saturday.

Philippe de Lespinay

Electric Dreams Online Shop