2 replies to this topic

#1 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,545 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 11:20 AM

I'm guessing a lot of slot racers cut their "car" eyeteeth on Matchbox Cars; I know I certainly did and our two boys played with them when they were young, too.

Today's Hemmings Daily blog features a couple of British Pathé documentary clips showing how Matchbox vehicles were produced. It's shocking to see how many workers were employed at the time. Today's production lines are surely much more automated.

"Despite consistent demand for Matchbox products, Lesney declared bankruptcy in 1982, a victim of the poor economic climate in Britain. American toymaker Universal acquired the rights to the brand, which it sold to Tyco in 1992; Tyco was later bought out by Mattel (manufacturer of the rival Hot Wheels line), which has continued to enjoy success with the Matchbox name. "

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#2 Big Bill

Big Bill

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 10:36 PM

Back in the mid '50s I had Dinky Toys before the Matchbox toys were offered. I gave my original Dinky toys away but a few years ago I purchased the same die cast Dinky toys from eBay for my new grandson.

I believe the Matchbox toys followed the Dinky toys soon after. I think Lesney made the Dinky toys. Their army tanks had metal threads. Most are prewar (WW2). The scale was larger than the Matchbox toys. Of course I had both as a kid in the '50s.

Great post.

Bill

Bill Porciello Sr.

#3 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,545 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 12:13 PM

I think Lesney made the Dinky toys.

Actually, no, Lesney was who produced the Matchbox line.

300px-Lesney-matchbox.jpg

Dinky Toys were produced by Meccano Ltd, a compnay started by Frank Hornby in 1901. I think the Dinky brand is owned by Mattel today.

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

Electric Dreams Online Shop