#51 Jason Holmes

Jason Holmes

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 11:54 PM

Mark

like I said a few post's before it will be a great CLASS but its all ABOUT TIME on the E/C they run things at a rapid pace well oiled out here at B/P we take our time and 2 CLASS's is a FULL Day if that were not the case we would still be running A/W on the King still and I would be Happy you just can't run 3 classes with 22+ entry's and take a 2hr+ lunch and get done by 7 just does not work when the 1st race doesn't start till 11ish not going to happen so like I said do we race 3 weeks per month and how often will you be down to play on that extra week???

Jason

#52 Bryan Warmack

Bryan Warmack

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,291 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 12:09 AM

Mark

like I said a few post's before it will be a great CLASS but its all ABOUT TIME on the E/C they run things at a rapid pace well oiled out here at B/P we take our time and 2 CLASS's is a FULL Day if that were not the case we would still be running A/W on the King still and I would be Happy you just can't run 3 classes with 22+ entry's and take a 2hr+ lunch and get done by 7 just does not work when the 1st race doesn't start till 11ish not going to happen so like I said do we race 3 weeks per month and how often will you be down to play on that extra week???

Jason

Jason,

2 HR+ lunches......????   Does anyone else remember these?

#53 Mark Wampler

Mark Wampler

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,888 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 02:10 AM

Oh me... community organizer :laugh2:

Its been an interesting thread. 

More friendly than FaceBook.  :)

You can quote me.

-Mark

#54 bbr

bbr

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 02:38 AM

Compared to the flat track, races on the king draws almost twice the amount of racers.
I do think that the first weekend sat has no racing at BPR. A good opportunity to run can am + for those interested.
More races, better for BPR. Faster retro cars, wing racer maybe interested. They used to run the first sat.
I like the class, I've never built a retro chassis, but I will build one for this class.
All that needs to be done is plan a race, if racers show up, great!
Mike Low
Cry like a baby, drive like a girl, walk like a man.
Give me enough rope and I'll build a fast car... or hang myself?

#55 usadar

usadar

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 05:18 AM

D3/SCRRA has been racing Retro Pro, the fastest retro class.

Diversity/ new class of retro seems intriguing but there is no room for it at SCRRA.

Personally, some of our Retro Tokyo racers, including myself, are interested in IRRA's Can-Am Plus, so we are going to test-build a couple of cars of that class & Nobu Hanada told me he would produce proto-type motor-brackets for the class.

I got a couple of Electric Dreams' Retro Pro bodies & PS-4002FK(24 pieces) are on the way to Tokyo.

I might go to NY to race this new class in October.

Stay tuned,

Haruki 

• Dan Ebert likes this
Haruki Kan
Retro Tokyo
Retro Tokyo
Retro Tokyo on Facebook

Where do we go from here: chaos or community?

#56 Samiam

Samiam

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,028 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 06:57 AM

Just did a quick inventory of " West Coast " raceways. There are 18 with suitable tracks. BPR is ONE of them.

Mill,

Try some Aleve for your arm. :laugh2:

Sam Levitch

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters, and if you do not have integrity, nothing else matters."
Robert Mueller,special council.(2013)

#57 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 41,409 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 04:05 PM

Mark,
you are the perfect proof that a single deranged mind can  f*** up everything that is working well for all others from a mountain of totally mindless verbiage. What is wrong with existing SCRRA racing classes right now that would require a new class requiring even more time, more effort for already overstressed racers? Why don't you forward all that energy of yours by building cars that no longer look like a sure winner for the "Worst Appearing Car" trophy to begin with, and try getting it out of the "Z" race once in a while? How about going to "I no longer freak out when a car crashes on front of me" marshaling school?  Would that not be a much better use of your time? And ours?
Thank you in advance for putting a lid on it.

• Rick likes this

#58 Mark Wampler

Mark Wampler

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 6,888 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 05:11 PM

Hi Philippe,

Sure has been a long time and see that same old fire of passion is still intact.  Nice to have sat down for a little visit at the Western Classic.   You did an excellent job handed to you at the tech table and I expect that will continue as you're able at least twice a year in the future. :ok:

I know where you're coming from and I'm not at all offended.  Those days are past of keyboard combat.  You're a nice guy in public,  and this isn't the real you on Slot Blog.  Believe it or not,  I don't know whats going on in Freeblog either.  I stay out of there, but passion for Slot Cars is what SB should be about.  Not that I've given up my opinions, but at this particular time, myself and a few others feel that this new class has great potential.  It may not be for everyone in the same sense that Retro Pro isn't for everyone. 

I take into account the history of  D3  when the initial spark came along for Jail Door.    It ran its course.  There were some unnecessary wranglings about chassis construction that really hurt JD's IMO, but that's another subject.  I don't feel that way about the Plus class.  The format and general rules are well thought out and practical.  AW coupes came close to extinction, but was convenient as an alternative class to run on Friday's at major events. The NASCAR class was raced to fill in for Fridays schedule but didn't survive, so  Retro 32 rose to the occasion to fill in.   Even Retro 32 started out as a divided class between the scale 2.25 width  inlines, vs the 2.5 width "Womp" spec AW.  Like the Coupes, Angle winder configuration won out. Hint: (racers want to go faster)  Evidently Retro 32 has suffered a  blow this last time around.  I hope the board will not abandon those fun little cars. As was pointed out that others "back East" still race JD and stock cars.  No one was hurt  when JD  and stock cars were  dropped at Buena Park and the track didn't suffer other than those who were energized in the beginning.  So you see, these things have a  natural way of sifting themselves out.   Its all good ! :victory:

You can quote me.

-Mark

#59 redbackspyder

redbackspyder

Renegade, Mutineer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 12:02 AM

Sam, who cares about 18 tracks on the West Coast ?  We race at ONE!  tHE SCRRA is but one small group, and we do not race as a group at other tracks...

Mark is welcome to organize a race at BPR on any open dates that he wishes, and I encourage him to do so... I would love to just show up and have everything laid out for me, so I did not have to worry about setting up the races, cleaning and gluing the track, making sure that there was a race director, and marshals....Let me know when the first race is, and I will be there at BPR to race it, I will just run my regular Can Am car... I will support the class, but I will also bet that it never happens....

By the way , Sam, what races do you organize ?  Would love to show up to one of yours 

Mill Conroy

AKA : TWO LAP CONROY, Anointed Trigger Monkey by Mike Swiss

Deal me life's toughest cards, without chance for hope nor fame, just let me play this one last hand, and I'll win this whole damn game.

Second Most Interesting Man in the World.

#60 Mark Wampler

Mark Wampler

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 6,888 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 12:34 AM

Hey Mill, Sam is just an observer like the rest of us.   "West Coast" includes but not limited to Buena Park as if this thread was exclusive only for you guys.   I did list the thread  under SCRRA Retro racing, so if that is offensive,  the thread could be moved elsewhere under generic Retro racing

• Samiam likes this
You can quote me.

-Mark

#61 Samiam

Samiam

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,028 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 07:12 AM

Mark,

Moving the thread will not stop Mill's diatribe. He will criticize any ideas that are not his. He then proceeds to insult and demean everyone who does not think like him.

It is just how he is.

Mill,

I don't have to organize any races here on the East coast. Plenty of racing to do. Four classes of well attended racing in IRRA. Hardbody,Flexi,Wing.....it is all here. I have thrown a few ideas out there to see if there is any interest. That is what the blogs are for. Now go get some oxi-codine for your arm.

Sam Levitch

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters, and if you do not have integrity, nothing else matters."

#62 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 41,409 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 02:15 PM

I apologize to Mark Wampler as I went too hard on him in my comment and indeed he is welcome to organize any races he wants with whichever hardware he likes.
My comment did not represent in any way the SCRRA position in which I have no role and never had any other than occasionally racing in one of more class or helping with tech when time allowed.

• Samiam likes this

#63 Mark Wampler

Mark Wampler

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 6,888 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 04:45 PM

You know what this means.  An extra hug :)   Passion is what drive Slot car racers.  A little bleed over is acceptable!  =M=

You can quote me.

-Mark

#64 redbackspyder

redbackspyder

Renegade, Mutineer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 10:49 AM

Mark,

Moving the thread will not stop Mill's diatribe. He will criticize any ideas that are not his. He then proceeds to insult and demean everyone who does not think like him.

It is just how he is.

Mill,

I don't have to organize any races here on the East coast. Plenty of racing to do. Four classes of well attended racing in IRRA. Hardbody,Flexi,Wing.....it is all here. I have thrown a few ideas out there to see if there is any interest. That is what the blogs are for. Now go get some oxi-codine for your arm.

Sam and Mark, I am not against this class, I am saying that those interested should be the ones that organize it, just do not throw out ideas without backing up the work... I am not insulting or demeaning anyone, and I have stated multiple times that I think that on off weekends at Buena Park, there is plenty of opportunity for guys to organize and race, now what is demeaning about that ?

Try being a  worker  Sam, rather than just typing, that will bring you a lot more satisfaction.  Not sure about the oxi-codine, did you mean OXY-CODINE ? ? ?  

• Danny Zona likes this

Mill Conroy

Deal me life's toughest cards, without chance for hope nor fame, just let me play this one last hand, and I'll win this whole damn game.

#65 Samiam

Samiam

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,028 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:06 AM

Mill,

I can quote you being insulting and demeaning a dozen times easy. Not on this thread. You are just being pompous and obnoxious. We all know how much you do at BPR. You have told us many times. There are others there who do as much if not more. We just don't hear from them as much as from you. Or they get enough attention at home and don't need it here.

I used to do plenty of work at my former home track. You don't know about it because WHO FREAKIN' CARES!

Now go take some aspirin for your sore arm.   

Sam Levitch

#66 redbackspyder

redbackspyder

Renegade, Mutineer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:11 AM

Sam, everyone pitches in at Buena Park...  Not just me, but a group...  I am glad that you participate, and are more than just a typist...  have a great relaxing day, and good racing to you, you are just a little over stressed....

Mill Conroy

#67 Mark Wampler

Mark Wampler

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 6,888 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:35 AM

Okay gents, let's have some peace.  We do our part to contribute to our sacred hobby.  We're worker bees and not the Queen.  Especially the Drama Queen.

I'd like to keep the thread going for other thoughts, ie bodies, chassis construction, motors, etc.  If anything, the CA Plus class can be pulled out of the hat in the future where track owners find themselves running stale on participation.  At Foster's we find ourselves doing that occasionally buy switiching combinations of bodies, motors and frames to come up with something apart from the status quo. 

You can quote me.

-Mark

#68 redbackspyder

redbackspyder

Renegade, Mutineer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 03:16 PM

Mark, I hope that talking with the SCRRA BOARD , you can get the class going and start it up....  I think with a few simple things, like a 40 thou clearance, since everyone has that dimension for their F1 and some thought out rules will make it an easier transition for people, who could use their basic Can Am car as a good starting point... There are Retro Pro bodies that will fit .750 wheels underneath them, and since you do not need to cut out the body for front wheel wells, it would not matter...  Keeping the clearances at .015 and .040, easy for tires as well.....  Plenty of .790 tires after running your regular Can Am car....  The Pro Slot fk motor is faster as well, so you would have something that is not as twitchy as a Retro Pro car, and there are also Can Am bodies used in the IRRA that would work as well, bodies we currently do not allow because of Aero Enhancements......

Mill Conroy

#69 Mark Wampler

Mark Wampler

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 6,888 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 04:19 PM

Since the whole idea of  CA Plus is centered around slammed, light and more downforce bodies , the 5/8 fronts are significant to get the front down tighter.   Far as unlimited rear tire size,  I have doubts that anything below a .760 would be practical @ .040 clearance without messing with the motor bracket.  I You could do a reverse 'hypoid' and sit the motor above the axle.  Not so sure that would be productive, but who knows.

A quick check comparison between the PS motor can and a TSR shows the PS to be 1.563 tall with the TSR can to be 1.534 tall.  The shorter FK type can has the low COG advantage (IMO). 

A twitchy car is usually a short WB car that's either too light or lacks sufficient downforce.  So, there's a delicate balance  to work out.  There's only a few Duran type skills that can handle a twitchy car and maintain nerves to drive under pressure.  Take off 7-10 grams off what you usually run in CanAm and that might be a good place to start with a Plus car.

You can quote me.

-Mark

#70 bbr

bbr

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 06:24 PM

Mark,

I'm going with .710" dia rears

Mike Low

#71 Mark Wampler

Mark Wampler

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 6,888 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:41 PM

Go for it Mike.  Take a pic of your motor bracket and post here :)

You can quote me.

-Mark

#72 Dan Ebert

Dan Ebert

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:50 PM

Good Luck with 710 tires.  Share that crown gear with the rest of the world please.

GallerymanDan

#73 Mark Wampler

Mark Wampler

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 6,888 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:54 PM

The only other way to go would be 64P gears

You can quote me.

-Mark

#74 Mark Wampler

Mark Wampler

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 6,888 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:02 PM

Well.... a 26T Parma is approx 1.641 diamater vs a 35T, 64P metal crown (Sonic?) @ 1.435.  Maybe a Slot it.

You can quote me.

-Mark

#75 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 17,897 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:03 PM

Good Luck with 710 tires.  Share that crown gear with the rest of the world please.

Maybe a shaved 26T.

Mike Swiss

IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990)
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder
17B West Ogden AveWestmont, IL 60559, ( 708) 203-8003
mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address) 
Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 5858 Chase Ave., Downers Grove, IL 60516
Make checks out to Chicagoland Woodworking, Inc.

#76 Dan Ebert

Dan Ebert

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:06 PM

I just turned 59  I would love a shaved 26, Mike

• Half Fast, Samiam and Danny Zona like this
GallerymanDan

#77 Mark Wampler

Mark Wampler

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 6,888 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:08 PM

I just turned 59  I would love a shaved 26, Mike

I'm 63 and if I don't  shave, I really look old :laugh2:

You can quote me.

-Mark

#78 bbr

bbr

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:08 PM

crown I'm using is .605" dia  :D

Mike Low

#79 Mark Wampler

Mark Wampler

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 6,888 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:10 PM

Pics Mike!

You can quote me.

-Mark

#80 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 17,897 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:14 PM

crown I'm using is .605" dia  :D

Possibly Slot-it 50 50P or some other 1/32" item ?

Mike Swiss

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 5858 Chase Ave., Downers Grove, IL 60516

#81 bbr

bbr

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:16 PM

he, he... I will be testing the gear set at the next BPR race, if it work in my can am, then I will post some pictures

Mike Low

#82 Mark Wampler

Mark Wampler

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 6,888 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:17 PM

Def have to be a 1/32.  Those for use with home tracks and lower powered cars.  Question would be if the setup could endure a commercial track race.

You can quote me.

-Mark

#83 Mark Wampler

Mark Wampler

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 6,888 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:18 PM

he, he... I will be testing the gear set at the next BPR race, if it work in my can am, then I will post some pictures

Okay, fair enough.  We wouldn't want you to expose your secrets JUST yet. ^_^

You can quote me.

-Mark

#84 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 17,897 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:29 PM

If you want to run .599" dia. tires, I have these.

I forget if it's the steel pinion or the crown that's shot after 1 race.

Attached Images

• IMG_20140728_202237-1.jpg

Mike Swiss

#85 Mark Wampler

Mark Wampler

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 6,888 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:34 PM

If you went with 2mm axles, a smaller crown would be possible too.  The consequence of saying "ANY" size rear tire is legal.

You can quote me.

-Mark

#86 SlotStox#53

SlotStox#53

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:43 PM

Def have to be a 1/32.  Those for use with home tracks and lower powered cars.  Question would be if the setup could endure a commercial track race.

They can stand up to 24 hour endurance racing , plus a lot of clubs race them on full wooden routed tracks aswell :good:

#87 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 17,897 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:51 PM

If you went with 2mm axles, a smaller crown would be possible too.  The consequence of saying "ANY" size rear tire is legal.

I have no idea why axle size would have anything to do with being able to run smaller.

Mike Swiss

#88 Mark Wampler

Mark Wampler

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 6,888 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:52 PM

High speed metal grinding! :scare:

You can quote me.

-Mark

#89 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 17,897 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:54 PM

They can stand up to 24 hour endurance racing , plus a lot of clubs race them on full wooden routed tracks aswell :good:

But not running at retro car weight and speeds.

Mike Swiss

#90 Mark Wampler

Mark Wampler

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 6,888 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:57 PM

I have no idea why axle size would have anything to do with being able to run smaller.

Its an idea, which we're researching.   This going towards 1/32 gears.   Do you know the  smallest  crown a 2mm axle allows?  Might come in handy for the future.

You can quote me.

-Mark

#91 Mark Wampler

Mark Wampler

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 6,888 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:59 PM

Mike is going to try it out, so I'm looking forward to the results.  I don't have that much faith at this point.

You can quote me.

-Mark

#92 Rick

Rick

Grand Champion Poster

• Partial Member
  • 8,843 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:53 PM

I just saw something CanAm Plus is "CAP" retro. Rot ro, Cap Henry got his own class now................

• Cap Henry likes this
Rick Bennardo
"Professional Tinkerer"
scrgeo@comcast.net
R-Geo Products
LIKE my Facebook page for updates, new releases, and sales: Rgeo Slots...

Lead! The easy equalizer...

#93 Bryan Warmack

Bryan Warmack

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,291 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:07 PM

Since the whole idea of  CA Plus is centered around slammed, light and more downforce bodies , the 5/8 fronts are significant to get the front down tighter.   Far as unlimited rear tire size,  I have doubts that anything below a .760 would be practical @ .040 clearance without messing with the motor bracket.  I You could do a reverse 'hypoid' and sit the motor above the axle.  Not so sure that would be productive, but who knows.

A quick check comparison between the PS motor can and a TSR shows the PS to be 1.563 tall with the TSR can to be 1.534 tall.  The shorter FK type can has the low COG advantage (IMO). 

A twitchy car is usually a short WB car that's either too light or lacks sufficient downforce.  So, there's a delicate balance  to work out.  There's only a few Duran type skills that can handle a twitchy car and maintain nerves to drive under pressure.  Take off 7-10 grams off what you usually run in CanAm and that might be a good place to start with a Plus car.

Mark,

I don't know where you're getting the motors can heights of well over one inch. (1.5+")?  The Pro Slot is about .615 tall I think so a motor bracket with zero offset (Both motor shaft and axle centerlines the same) would give you .695 tires with .040 clearance. Assuming one keeps the motor flat and as low as possible, for every .010 you LOWER the rear axle (negative hypoid I guess) you could run .020 smaller tires.  

#94 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 17,897 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:29 PM

Bryan,
For some reason Mark is working in centimeters. Lol

I "Lol" because even my European customers don't even work in centimeters.

When they order custom chassis parts,they use millimeters.

Mike Swiss

#95 Mark Wampler

Mark Wampler

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 6,888 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:48 PM

Mark,

I don't know where you're getting the motors can heights of well over one inch. (1.5+")?  The Pro Slot is about .615 tall I think so a motor bracket with zero offset (Both motor shaft and axle centerlines the same) would give you .695 tires with .040 clearance. Assuming one keeps the motor flat and as low as possible, for every .010 you LOWER the rear axle (negative hypoid I guess) you could run .020 smaller tires.  

Yeah, I just whipped out the calipers and took readings, so  cm's it is.  Regardless, the FK cans are not as tall as PS motors.  In the same manner that an open strap motor will lower your COG, it appears to me that while not very significant the FK motor will allow lower COG providing you configure the motor bracket accordingly.

I haven't gotten down to how the crown gear will make that .040 clearance with .695 tires,  but since the proposed rules eliminate minimum rear tires, the snag would be the size of the crown.  The sonic 64P look like they may be small enough. 

You can quote me.

-Mark

#96 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 17,897 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 12:16 AM

You double the clearance and add that to the dia. of the biggest crown you intend to use.

In the case of the IRRA® rules, with .047" rear clearance and a .644" 26T crown, .094" and .644"= .738" as your absolute minimum tire dia.

Mike Swiss

#97 Bryan Warmack

Bryan Warmack

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,291 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 12:51 AM

Yeah, I just whipped out the calipers and took readings, so  cm's it is.  Regardless, the FK cans are not as tall as PS motors.  In the same manner that an open strap motor will lower your COG, it appears to me that while not very significant the FK motor will allow lower COG providing you configure the motor bracket accordingly.

I haven't gotten down to how the crown gear will make that .040 clearance with .695 tires,  but since the proposed rules eliminate minimum rear tires, the snag would be the size of the crown.  The sonic 64P look like they may be small enough. 

Mark,

Keep in mind also, that if you do start something with this new class and make a few changes, SCRRA presently and D3 before that NEVER included the crown gear in the minimum rear clearance tech.  Our rules are basically, "just don't drag" and I've never seen anyone with a dragging gear. I'm sure something with a Parma 26T and a little reduction in OD could be made to work just fine.

#98 Mark Wampler

Mark Wampler

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 6,888 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 01:19 AM

Unless either Koford, Red Fox or ?? comes out with something smaller,  the 26T will probably be the target gear in all likelihood. 

That said about crown gear clearance,  the West Coast Plus cars stand to be  more slammed than their more Easterly counterparts.

I keep getting this thing that I'm supposed  to start this thing.  Okay, maybe I'll sit down, write this up and see who wants to get to building and testing.  Mike Low is on board.  

Does that make me an official S.C.R.R.A.  board member or Ad hoc associate only?

You can quote me.

-Mark

#99 Mark Wampler

Mark Wampler

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 6,888 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 03:02 AM

CanAm "EXPERT"

Can Am Expert Regulations (version V1, 2014-07-28)

CAE 1. Chassis construction

CAE 1a.  Drive type: Inline drive only, with the motor on center and shaft at 90 degrees to the rear axle as seen from above.
CAE-1b.  Axles: Both axles must be of solid 3/32" minimum diameter steel rod. A single straight, one-piece front axle is required, carrying both front wheels. The axle may be fixed or in a tube. Flats can only be ground on axles for wheels or gear set screws. 

CAE 1c  Materials: Brass sheet, rod and tubing, steel wire, and guide tongues are allowed. Other than flat guide tongues, stamped steel parts, EDM or laser-cut parts of any material are not allowed   Steel guide tongues no longer than 1 1/2" and no wider than 1" are allowed.  Maximum solid wire diameter used in any part of the chassis construction is 1/8". The use of components removed from flexi car chassis's is not allowed.  Hinged movements in any direction are allowed.

CAE 1d  Guide flag must be centered on the longitudinal axis of the chassis. No sideways "free float" or offset is allowed.

CAE 1e  Motor bracket:  Three sided plate to mount motor and axle bearings OR flat, stand alone, vertical, sheet brass  pillow blocks or tabs are allowed.  Motor may be affixed by screws or soldered.

CAE 2. Chassis dimensions

CAE2a. Maximum overall chassis width: 3.125" measured across any part of the chassis.
CAE2b. Minimum clearance: 0.040 at all points under the chassis rearwards of the center line of the rear axle and 0.015 under the most forward part of the chassis.
CAE2c. No part of the chassis may droop at any point between its front and rear edges.
CAE2d. No part of the chassis structure protrusions behind the rear axle may exceed 1"  from axle center when viewed from the top.

CAE 3 Tires

CAE-3a. Any rear rear tire diameter is allowed
CAE-3b. Minimum Front Tire width: 0.225"O-ring tires  are not allowed. Minimum Front Tire diameter .600
CAE-3c  The use of any tires that may adversely affect track conditions (such as but not limited to, so-called "speed rubber") is expressly forbidden and a cause for immediate exclusion. Tires coated with silicone or similar substances are illegal.

CAE 4. Body rules

CAE 4a. Bodies must be originals or exact reproductions of pre-1974 Can-Am or Sports/GT pro-racing bodies by MAC, Associated, Dynamic etc. or from new molds made in the spirit of the period bodies. A rear spoiler is allowed with a maximum length of 1/2". Maximum overall body height including spoiler is 1 3/4". Maximum overall body length including spoiler is 7". Slight trimming of the body beyond the cut line at the front outside corners is allowed to correct natural drooping.

CAE 4b Bodies with molded-in cockpits are not allowed.  Front wheel arches may be masked and left clear with minimum of 75% of wheel exposed.  No visual obstruction of any kind across either front or rear wheels must be seen when viewing the car from its sides. Bodies must be presentably painted and carry at least three racing numbers, one on each side and one on front. No part of the chassis may be seen when looking at the car from its top. Bodies must be molded from material with a minimum thickness of 0.007".

CAE 5. Motor rule
CAE 5a. Motor type: Unopened, unmodified JK Retro Hawk.  Factory markings and labels (if attached) must be retained on the motor.
Exclusion clause: Clear violation of motor-tampering rule will result in immediate disqualification.

• Samiam likes this
You can quote me.

-Mark

#100 Samiam

Samiam

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,028 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 06:57 AM

Mark,

Nice job on a " West Coast " Can-Am+ car. You have the advantage of a discussion and input from interested parties.

You are now the sole member of the WCRRA  board. Trademark it before someone starts their own version :laugh2: .

Sam Levitch

Electric Dreams Online Shop