2 replies to this topic

#1 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,547 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 03:40 PM

Many folks who register here at Slotblog seemingly just click to agree to the Terms of Use, presented during the registration process, without actually bothering to read it, even the text we've highlighted in red in a larger size font.

And therefore many new members get a little frustrated when they find they can't post or PM at Slotblog.

Here's a relevant paste from the Slotblog Terms of Use:

"If you register using a "handle" (as opposed to using your actual first and last names as your Slotblog display name) -

Then you MUST place your REAL NAME (at least first and last names) in your Slotblog "signature" so that it appears below each message you post.

If you elect not to display your real name in either your user ID or your signature, any posts you make will not appear on the board until they are approved by a moderator and you will not have the ability to send or receive Private Messages (PMs). Your posts will not be approved nor will PM privileges be granted until your signature is amended to comply with this Slotblog policy.

YOU WILL NOT BE PROMPTED AUTOMATICALLY TO DO THIS AND MUST AMEND YOUR SIGNATURE AFTER REGISTERING TO HAVE YOUR POSTS APPEAR!!

The signature text box is found in your Slotblog profile. To update your signature, click on the downward-facing arrow on the same line as your display name in the gray box at the upper RH corner of the home page, and select "My Settings" from the drop-down menu. Next click on the "Profile" tab and select "Change Signature" from the LH navigation menu. This will take you to the signature text box. After adding your name to your signature, make sure to click "Save Changes" at the bottom of the text box. If you need assistance in editing your signature, please email me at greg@slotblog.net."

Please note that if you amend your Slotblog signature after you complete the registration process, you will need to email me at greg@slotblog.net to let me know that you have done so. Unless you do that, I will not know that your permission level needs to be increased, although I do try to keep checking the sigs of new members for a few weeks to see if they have amended them.

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#2 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 25,547 posts

Posted 06 April 2023 - 11:29 PM

Bump.

There are still a fair number of members who don't show their real names and thus don't have full permissions to allow them to post and use the PM system.

If members feel their 'safety' on the web is compromised by showing their real names, that's fine with me. Their call, even though I personally feel they're being a bit paranoid, as I don't believe the facts support such a position. Slotblog has been online for almost 19 years and we have yet to have received a single report that having one's real name 'exposed' here has caused a problem.

I just want to make sure any members who don't understand why they can't post or PM here are aware of why that is the case.

If you are a member who has an "aha" moment based on this post, please PM me so I can help fix the problem for you.

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#3 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 25,547 posts

Posted 29 January 2024 - 08:53 AM

Probably time to bump this thread up again.

• Sloter likes this

Gregory Wells

Electric Dreams Online Shop