• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 06:07 PM

I think this is extremely cool...

From National Speed Sport News

Paraplegic Driver Makes Racing History

pd.jpg
Isaac Schreurs, a 21-year-old paraplegic sprint car driver, gets carried out of his race car by his father Saturday night at Jefferson (SD) Park Speedway after he scored his first ASCS Midwest Region victory. (Doug Johnson Photo)

JEFFERSON, S.D. – Saturday night at Park Jefferson Speedway Isaac Schreurs did something many thought impossible.

Schreuers, who lost the use of his legs at the age of 14, led all 25 laps of the American Sprint Car Series (ASCS) Midwest Region event to score his first sprint car victory. In doing so, Schreurs became the first paraplegic to win a major sprint car race.

A front row of Schreurs and John Klabunde led the ASCS Midwest Region field to the green flag. Schreurs quickly took the lead at the start of the event. Facing multiple challenges from third starting Cody Ledger, he continued to lead until lap 17. Ledger put a slide job in front of Schreurs but the yellow flag flew, placing Schreurs back in the lead.

Schreurs once again led the field to the green flag until a violent flip from Jack Dover off of turn three, which saw him flip more than 50 feet until his car came to rest. Following the incdent Schreurs was able to hold the lead for the final laps, taking the checkered flag over Ledger and Billy Alley.

Unlike other victory lane photos, the driver didn’t quickly exit the car. Instead, a four-wheeler appeared with Schreurs’ father appeared from the pits. Rushing to the side of his son’s car, the elder Schreurs jumped off the back and reached into the cockpit and scooped his son up in his arms. The father and son pair then made their way around to the front of the car, where the celebration commenced.

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#2 Tex

Tex

Grand Champion Poster

• 9,227 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:50 PM

Amazing display of an indomitable spirit.

Well done, Isaac!
Richard L. Hofer

Remember, two wrongs don't make a right... but three lefts do! Only you're a block over and a block behind.

#3 Cap Henry

Cap Henry

CHR Cars

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 10:03 AM

That's actually his second win, first ASCS win.

But it's still a great story and congrats to Isaac, I've met him and he's a great guy.

#4 Pappy

Pappy

Grand Champion Poster

• 14,067 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 01:08 PM

This is all great until a car he is in catches fire and he can't get out.

Jim "Butch" Dunaway 

I don't always go the extra mile, but when I do it's because I missed my exit. 
All my life I've strived to keep from becoming a millionaire, so far I've succeeded. 
There are three kinds of people in the world, those that are good at math and those that aren't. 
No matter how big of a hammer you use, you can't pound common sense into stupid people, believe me, I've tried.

2000 Jackasses

#5 Cap Henry

Cap Henry

CHR Cars

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 05:42 PM

Had that exact discussion last night with the race team. I'd never be anyone to tell someone they can't do something, but it definitely brings a lot of safety issues.

Electric Dreams Online Shop