9 replies to this topic

#1 Pappy

Pappy

Grand Champion Poster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,067 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 04:10 AM

Jim "Butch" Dunaway 

I don't always go the extra mile, but when I do it's because I missed my exit. 
All my life I've strived to keep from becoming a millionaire, so far I've succeeded. 
There are three kinds of people in the world, those that are good at math and those that aren't. 
No matter how big of a hammer you use, you can't pound common sense into stupid people, believe me, I've tried.

2000 Jackasses

#2 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 25,539 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 09:38 AM

The video showcases more than the car...

Leno is one of the most knowledgeable collectors on the planet and his commentary hits exactly the right notes. He points out the unqiue features of the 600 but at the same time highlights the negatives. And I'd bet a good dinner than Jay didn't have to have anyone ghost-write his spiel, that it was off the top of his head. He knows his history and he knows mechanics.

There aren't too many collectors like him these days... a few, but not that many.

BTW, there's a reason most 600s were owned by dictators and despots - it took someone with their hands in a country's treasury to keep these cars in good repair... LOL!

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#3 Pappy

Pappy

Grand Champion Poster

• 14,067 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 04:58 PM

Yeah, I've heard they are like owning a jet to maintain.

I've got a friend with a Mercedes 300 that has the same engine. He said that the engine plant could put out more engines than they could 600s so they just put them in 300s.

Jim "Butch" Dunaway 

All my life I've strived to keep from becoming a millionaire, so far I've succeeded. 
There are three kinds of people in the world, those that are good at math and those that aren't. 
No matter how big of a hammer you use, you can't pound common sense into stupid people, believe me, I've tried.

2000 Jackasses

#4 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 25,539 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 05:09 PM

And the engine isn't the main problem, it's the electrics, the hydraulics, and the air suspension and compressor. Again, to Leno's credit, his video showed a ratty 600 with the suspension collapsed as they often do.

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#5 munter

munter

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 02:04 AM

I seem to remember Rowan Atkinson had one of these... he liked the way the trunk closed.

John Warren
Slot cars are my preferred reality

#6 zipper

zipper

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 05:18 AM

I've got a friend with a Mercedes 300 that has the same engine. He said that the engine plant could put out more engines than they could 600s so they just put them in 300s.

This is the sole survivor on the Earth of MB 300 Waxenberger 6.3, recently in a car museum in Finland.

waxenberger3.jpg
Pekka Sippola

#7 Pappy

Pappy

Grand Champion Poster

• 14,067 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 05:41 AM

Don't know if he has that exact same car or not Pekka, but it looks a lot like that. Don't know what year his is but I'll find out more about it.

Jim "Butch" Dunaway 

2000 Jackasses

#8 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 25,539 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 06:13 AM

The 300 SEL 6.3 is a monster.

That Waxenburger must be some sort of tuner version and it's probably more of a monster than a standard 300SEL 6.3.

Gregory Wells

#9 zipper

zipper

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 06:26 AM

Yes, by an MB engineer, Erich Waxenberger; three racers and two test cars. Nearly 500 HP and about 4 secs in 0 to 60 MPH.

Mercedes-Benz 300SEL 6.3
Pekka Sippola

#10 biedmatt

biedmatt

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 04:46 PM

300SEL 6.3, an amazing car. I am the one of whom Butch speaks. Mine is 109.018120013xx. A 1969. At that time MB was building two version of the super or S class. The 108, aka 280S and sub versions and the 109 aka 300S and sub versions. E denoting fuel injection and L for long wheel base. All versions normally came with the 2.8L inline six. The 108 had coil springs and the 109 had air suspension with a belt driven compressor. 018 on the serial number means the 6.3L V8 was fit. This was only done in the 109 chassis. 12 means automatic (4 speed) transmission. The last six numbers are the prodution number which started at 1. The 6.3 has the reputation of being a money sponge and the 600 is a mop.

I actually drove this as my company car for a few years in the late '80s and early '90s. An engine rebuild at 125K miles absorbed some coin. Pistons were $500 each in the early '90s. It wasn't until the transmission rebuild a couple years after the motor that my sister and business partner told me we needed to find a company car that would be a bit more sustainable.

So now it is rarely driven and the local pony cars do not get beat up much any more. Stop light drag racers were a hoot. When we reached the next light I always heard, "Man, what you got in that thing?" My answer was always that it is all stock. I am not sure if they believed me though and I'm not sure they noticed or understood the 6.3 badging on the corner of the trunk lid.

For years over at The old HRW my avatar was a picture of the 6.3 badge.

Matt Biederman
My track

Electric Dreams Online Shop