Posted Image
                            Bob Israelite

#2 Pappy

Pappy

Grand Champion Poster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,067 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 05:44 PM

Both are fantastic Bob. It's the greatest aerobatic flying there is. 

• MG Brown likes this

Jim "Butch" Dunaway 

I don't always go the extra mile, but when I do it's because I missed my exit. 
All my life I've strived to keep from becoming a millionaire, so far I've succeeded. 
There are three kinds of people in the world, those that are good at math and those that aren't. 
No matter how big of a hammer you use, you can't pound common sense into stupid people, believe me, I've tried.

2000 Jackasses

#3 MG Brown

MG Brown

Grand Champion Poster

• Administrator
  • 7,743 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 06:56 PM

Thunderbirds rumoured to be coming back to TV in 2015.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3138604/

"Remake of the hit 1960's television show. In the 21st century (ed: wait, isn't that NOW?), Jeff Tracy, a former astronaut, amasses a colossal fortune and decides that he must use it to benefit others. His answer to this desire is to create International Rescue, a unique private emergency response service equipped with custom designed vehicles and equipment that enable the organization to react to any crisis whether it be in sea, air, land, or space. Jeff's five sons volunteer to operate as the pilots and field agents, as well "Brains" (alias Hiram B. Hackenbaker) as the team engineer. In addition, Jeff's friend, Kyrano and his daughter Tin Tin agree to be the support staff. In addition to the field team, IR also maintains an intelligence network with Lady Penelope and her ex-con chauffeur, Parker as the chief agents in this arm. The series depicts this team as they answer various calls for help around and beyond the world while they prevent enemies like The Hood from learning and exploiting their secrets."

thunderbirds-are-go-banner-600x317.jpg

That's thirty minutes away. I'll be there in ten.

#4 gas

gas

Backmarker

• Subscriber
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 07:20 PM

When stationed at Nellis AFB,home of the Thunderbirds,the Blue Angels showed up. Both teams put on a show,both entertaining and different enough so it didn't seem like watching the same show.

George Ewing

Retired USAF, retired Ford service tech.

#5 mcrracer

mcrracer

Backmarker

• Member at Peace
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 10:49 PM

USAF Veteran....T-Birds forever!

Worked ECM on the F4-E Phantom back in the 70s

Marlon Reed

8/31/56 -11/8/20

Requiescat in Pace

#6 Gator Bob

Gator Bob

Grand Champion Poster

• Banned
  • 13,391 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 05:53 PM

This was the first time seeing the Thunderbirds.

I always kinda sorta saw them as the B team and thought the paint was too dramatic and flashy. I have to say that they put on a great show and now I love the paint which makes them really stand out against the blue sky and water. 

As far as the planes ...

F16s rip pretty darn good .... but don't 'crack the sky' like F18s on the burners.

Biased: Worked on F-18 ECM project as a contractor and seeing them launch off a Carrier deck.

Drift... ANG bombing range, Warren Grove NJ. Star date 1987. Summary: One of the best places I ever frequented.

https://www.google.c...2!3m1!1s0x0:0x0

Phantoms just ruled back in the day ... had many buzz the runway at 50ft and the tower full burn after a bombing and strafing session.  Standing on the runway and having F4s going 500 +/- just 50 ft. over your head is unforgettable. I took some pictures.... very blurry 400 film throwaway but you can make out shape and the black smoke.

In the 80s ... just sign in at the gate and go out to the emergency runway and even in the tower. I would walk up the long stairs.. walk in and ask 'what's come up next' and one the Controller said " The Phantoms just left Langley.. should be here in 20 min. or less"  :D :popcorm1:

No one ever said .....'Hey, you can't stand out there on the runway"    :angry:  :acute:

A-10 strafing practice with targets 2000 ft. away was the best. watching the pilots point the nose of the plane down to get those last few rounds on the target was so cool. Target was orange plastic snow/safety fence in a (about) 300 ft circle. Walked out there when they left and found a few in the sand.

The gun is SO :sensored: LOUD. :yahoo:   

Posted Image
                            Bob Israelite

#7 hiline2

hiline2

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 06:00 PM

Ive seen the both and they are all fantastic but I gotta give it to the guys who  land them thangs on floating boats !

Someone  say F-4s ! they paid my way in the 60s in school !!!  Our High school was a few miles for lambert field and every afternoon at abut 2pm a flight of 4 would take off and they flew right over our old 1930s high school building , rattling the doors and windows ( they were about about 500ft and near afterburner) NOTHING happened for those few minutes ,every  now and then their would be straggler # 5 !!

Paul Bass

#8 Outlander

Outlander

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Subscriber
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 12:57 PM

USAF Veteran: Worked T-Bird AFCS '69-'70. Combat F4-E's Southeast Asia '70-71.

Below are personal photos taken at the end of the first public aerial demonstration of the Thunderbirds in the F4-E (summer '69).

Landing: Note black vertical stabilizer on aircraft on the left; that's the slot A/C (#4). That's not paint, but expended JP-4 from The Lead A/C.(#1).

F4-3.jpeg

Taxing in.

F4-1.jpeg

Lined up seven deep.

F4-4.jpeg

"F4's... Worlds largest distributor of MiG parts!"

• Gator Bob likes this
Bob LaBerge

#9 Pappy

Pappy

Grand Champion Poster

• 14,067 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 01:42 PM

If it did that to his tail how does he see out of his canopy, it's got to be black too by the end of the flight.

Jim "Butch" Dunaway 

I don't always go the extra mile, but when I do it's because I missed my exit. 
All my life I've strived to keep from becoming a millionaire, so far I've succeeded. 
There are three kinds of people in the world, those that are good at math and those that aren't. 
No matter how big of a hammer you use, you can't pound common sense into stupid people, believe me, I've tried.

2000 Jackasses

#10 hiline2

hiline2

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 04:18 PM

Serious Bucket List !  Ride in back of an F-4 ! so sexy !!!!  luv the  line:

"F4's... Worlds largest distributor of MiG parts!" :good: 

f4.jpg

Paul Bass

#11 Hermit #1

Hermit #1

Mid-Pack Racer

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 02:59 PM

I've seen the Thunderbirds a couple of times - they put on a great show.  Never had the opportunity to view the Blue Angels perform, but I bet they're outstanding also.

Had the opportunity to watch the Snowbirds (Canadian Forces 431 Air Demonstration Squadron) go through their paces - well worth attending.  They fly the subsonic Canadair CT-114 Tutor jet trainer, so less thud and blunder in comparison with the F-16 and F-18 aircraft.  Nevertheless, go see them if you can.

Dave "Hermit" Jones
5/26/??-9/12/17
Requiescat in Pace

Electric Dreams Online Shop