No replies to this topic

#1 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 12:07 PM

Must be because it is darn near all plain, flat fields in all directions... And it sure is a long trek on I-70 to go from the eastern border to the other side... with worryingly long distances between exits and gas stations.

For different reasons, neither Geoff nor I slept well last night so I hit the shower about 2:45 AM and we headed for KC about 3:30 AM. Wanted to get through Kansas City before Monday morning rush hour and also to try to get to Denver early enough to do a little exploring.

Posting from a McD's about 25 miles from the Colorado border (I'm not eating anything!) and the GPS says we'll hit the Mile-High City not long after 1:30. Enjoying the 75 MPH posted limit on I-70 through Kansas but not the level of enforcement, which is the highest in proportion to the traffic volume I think I've ever seen anywhere.

Got off the see the Walter P. Chrysler boyhood hood in Ellis, KS, and would have taken in the little railroad museum in town as well, but as expected it was closed on Monday.

In about the middle of the state is the largest wind farm I've ever seen, even dwarfing the one we see when driving up to the Sano. Gonna search later to see if I can find how many spinners in it, gotta be upwards of four hundred or so.

Been trying to ID a crop we saw huge fields of, shorts narrow leaf plants topped 12-18 inch reddish-brown heads of grain or perhaps flowers. Figure it is a grain or perhaps some sort of forage grown to be rolled into hay. Anyone know? Didn't have an opportunity to ask any locals.

The 2009 VW Rabbit is humming like well-balanced Hawk Retro on its new Yokohama tires. We just set the cruise at 9 MPH over the limit and keep it between the lines.

Denver, here we come!

• triggerman, Big Durl, Michael Rigsby and 1 other like this

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

Electric Dreams Online Shop