Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,068 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 10:26 AM

Published at racer.com on Tuesday, Nov 18:

cars.jpg

Slot car racing has always been a great way to get youngsters interested in motorsports – and for their parents to indulge their racing dreams, especially over the long winter months. But the digital revolution that has changed the way we work, play and communicate continues to take slot cars further beyond toys to ever higher levels of realism.

Carrera, which has been building high-quality slot car sets since 1963, offers a wide variety of sets and cars for hobby racers and beginners alike, in 1:43, 1:24 and 1:32 scales. Exclusive worldwide reproduction license agreements with Ferrari and Red Bull in the slot car segment provide an authentic F1 racing experience, while a variety of modern sports cars classic models are also available with meticulously detailed bodies over the rugged Carrerar chassis (ABOVE). Now,new digital enhancements go further still.

With Carrera AppConnect, you will be able to link your smartphone or tablet directly to your Digital 124 and Digital 132 racing circuits via a Bluetooth adapter to the control unit of the Carrera racetrack.

The potential for future connectivity is endless – a point made by a Ferrari/Carrera photo-op at this year's Australian GP where the Scuderia's F1 drivers Fernando Alonso and Kimi Raikkonen controlled their slot car equivalents via the hand brakes of their mountain bikes.

drivers.jpg

The Carrera Race App lets you determine whether you want to take on the role of race director and link up directly with the control unit or connect with race control as a driver.

In the race control "Race Profile," you control all the known features of the digital systems, such as tank capacity, braking response and speed. In addition, you can specify the race mode and are able to monitor, via the display, all the relevant information concerning the progress of the race for all the drivers involved.
And, of course, digital means social, too – like the Arc One system from Scalextric, you can post your results and compare with/boast to friends on Facebook...

Click HERE to read the rest of the article.

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#2 MG Brown

MG Brown

Grand Champion Poster

• Administrator
  • 5,566 posts
  • Location:The Land of Lincoln, where governors make the license plates.

Posted 19 November 2014 - 10:31 AM

If that's Kimi "having an off" I wonder if he is telling his crew:

Screen Shot 2014-11-19 at 9.30.31 AM.png

"I'm just here for the entertainment." George Carlin

#3 Half Fast

Half Fast

Keeper Of Odd Knowledge

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 12:24 PM

Possibly the dumbest way I have ever seen to control a slot car - A bicycle. :crazy: Yeah, that will work. :shok:

Cheers,

Bill Botjer

Faster then, wiser now

#4 old & gray

old & gray

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 01:59 PM

I don't know... steer with the handlebars (digital lane change), throttle on the right, brake on the left, and pedals drive a generator to power the car. It certainly would change the shape of slot racers. It would make enduros a real challenge.

:laugh2:
Bob Schlain

#5 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 18,090 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 03:03 PM

I think it might big fun for 7-12 year old kids.

I thought I saw this article a year or two back but maybe I'm thinking of the one with girls peddling.

Mike Swiss

IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990)
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder
17B West Ogden AveWestmont, IL 60559, ( 708) 203-8003
mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address) 
Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 5858 Chase Ave., Downers Grove, IL 60516
Make checks out to Chicagoland Woodworking, Inc.

#6 JohnnySlotcar

JohnnySlotcar

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 03:32 PM

Maybe Kimi is a girl! ROFL

John Austin

#7 Tim Wilkins

Tim Wilkins

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 04:22 PM

Remember, once you learn how to ride a bike, you never forget how to do it :D

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

Electric Dreams Online Shop