2 replies to this topic

#1 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 08:52 AM

I was very saddened to hear yesterday that Harold Coker, who I have known since before I had a driver's license, passed away Tuesday, Nov 16, after a fall at his farm.

Harold-Coker.jpg
Photo by Coker Tire

Almost everyone into old cars has heard of Coker Tire in Chattanooga, TN. What many don't realize is how pivotal Harold's involvement has been in the growth of the hobby. Harold was restoring an old car in the late '50s when he discovered there were no tires available for it. When he found that many of the old tire molds were still in existence, he started buying every one of them he could locate and began manufacturing tires specifically for antique and classic cars. Coker Tire quickly became the world's largest manufacturer and supplier of tires for that market.

One of the best rememberances of Harold I've read was penned by Lauren St. Germain for Chattanooga's WTVC NewsChannel 9:

"I wear a size 10 shoe and my dad wore a size 13. I should just hope that my little size 10 foot would fill his shoes one day," said Corky Coker, Harold Coker's son.

Harold Coker, longtime Hamilton County Commissioner and well-know Republican, died over the weekend at the age of 84.

The story of Harold Coker started back in 1958. 

"My grandfather and grandmother sold their home in Athens, Tennessee, to give my dad the money to start the company," said Corky. 

Harold Coker then moved the company to Chattanooga in 1961. Coker Tire quickly became the largest supplier of collector tires and wheels in the world. Owning such a successful and widely-known company would be enough to make most people sit back and give themselves a pat on the back, but not Mr. Coker.

"My father loves his God, his family, and his community. He felt that it was always important to give back to the community and because he earned his living in the community, he thought it very important to be involved," said Corky.

To many Harold Coker was known as the father of the Republican party in Hamilton County. He served on the county commission for more than 20 years and ran for Congress in 1988. Former Chattanooga Mayor Ron Littlefield said he was someone most people wanted to see coming, thanks to his entrepreneurial spirit. 

"Harold could breach the great divide. He could bridge over and help make things happen," said Ron Littlefield.

The former commissioner played a huge role in developing Enterprise South, eventually leading to Volkswagen. He was also on the board of directors at EPB. Harold Coker has an enormous collection of shovels lining his garage, all from groundbreakings during his tenure.

Despite being a serious businessman, the former commissioner loved to dance with his wife, Lillian, whenever he could.

"My dad loved to dance," said Corky.

He was caught dancing everywhere, from friends' parties to the re-opening of city hall in 2007.                                            

"Mom, I get to dance with you now so I danced with her right there in the room; he's dancing in heaven and I get to dance with his sweetheart until she joins him," said Corky.

I will cherish forever the memory of spending a couple of hours with Harold and several of our common friends at his barn during last fall's Revival Glidden Tour in Chattanooga. If there was ever a better ambassador for the collector car hobby, I've not met him.

Harold Coker will be missed by a vast number of people.

Harold's obituary can be found HERE.

• chaparrAL likes this

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#2 SlowBeas

SlowBeas

Troublesome De-slotter

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 09:05 AM

As a reporter in Chattanooga during the '80s, I got to know Harold quite well. I can't count the number of times he and I sat down for interviews on issues facing the surrounding area and his leadership as a county commissioner. He was highly respected in the community.

RIP.

jb

Jim Beasley
South Carolina, USA

"Assuming either the Left Wing or the Right Wing gained control of the country, it would probably fly around in circles."
- Pat Paulsen, 1968
"I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol."
- Steven Wright ca. 1983

#3 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 09:26 AM

I don't think I've ever heard anyone say a bad word about Harold Coker.

As a sixteen-year-old kid in 1970, I attended an AACA Judging School at Harold's farm in Chattanooga. The group was given three (IIRC) cars to practice judging on, one being a 1928 Model A Ford roadster. On my judging sheet, I did not deduct for the Ford script ammeter fitted to that car. When the sheets were reviewed, this style ammeter was deemed to be incorrect.

Harold's garage had a small den, with piles of car club magazines. One of the Model A Clubs had just published their judging guidelines and I recalled seeing that magazine in the den. So I grabbed the issue and brought it to Harold, pointing out that according to the national judging guidelines for that particular club, a script ammeter was considered correct for a 1928 Model A, being a carry-over part from Model T production.

Rather than dismissing my minor objection, Harold grabbed the mic and proceeded to tell everyone how a kid got it right when the old guys in attendance hadn't.

I've loved and respected the man ever since.

• chaparrAL likes this

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

Electric Dreams Online Shop