4 replies to this topic

#1 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,341 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 08:54 AM

Here's a great video of Port Jefferson Raceway, with one of the best explanations of the hobby I've ever seen.

According to Slotblog member, Paul Kovich, whose post at OWH alerted me to this clip, the video was aired during "the last episode of Hofstra University's 'For Your Island' TV program." 'For Your Island' is a magazine style television show about the people, places, and culture of Long Island produced by upper-level television majors at Hofstra, who write, shoot, and produce all of the content.

Raceway owner Doug "Bent Rim" Bauer is very articulate in explaining the appeal of the hobby as well as his deep love for it. Only five guys racing that night, but noted racer Eddie "Edsel" Sohl is present (and probably won, as usual...). 

Does anyone know who the racer in the red Andrade Racing shirt is? The producers erred in not identifying the people they interviewed IMO.

• CoastalAngler1 likes this

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#2 Paul Kovich

Paul Kovich

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 11:20 AM

I only know him as Brian XPro. He has been a racer at Port Jeff forever. He doesn't race wings so our paths have never directly crossed.

I'm sure one of the PJ scale guys will chime in eventually.

#3 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 22,341 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 11:22 AM

Paul,

I emailed Doug a screenshot from the video to ask him if he could ID the other three guys who were racing that day. Hopefully he will reply.

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#4 Paul Kovich

Paul Kovich

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 11:29 AM

The young guy with glasses is Tim Skurka, definite rising star, races everything and is really good at wings. Has had some great results at the last few Nats.

The slightly older young guy with glasses and a beard (who was directing at one point) is Jonathon Sohl, Ed's son. Another excellent racer who has for the past few years has moved to R/C buggy racing and is doing very well on a national level. 

#5 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 22,341 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 11:31 AM

Thanks, Paul.

Gregory Wells

Electric Dreams Online Shop