• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 slotpup

slotpup

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 05:55 PM

Gotta question, If I were to build a routed,braid oval slot car track similar to the Knoxville track in Iowa, which is a 1/2 mile track, How would I scale it down to run 1/24 and 1/32 sprint cars? I believe 4-1/2" lane spacing would be just about right and five lanes. Here are the specs on the track......Track Length at the Pole 1/2 Mile Track Length at the Fences 5/8 Mile Front stretch 80 Feet Back stretch 60 Feet Banking on Corners 8 Degrees. I have included a pic of the track.

Not sure how to go about doing this, with the radius etc. Thanks in advance.

Slotpup

Gary Mullens

#2 Cap Henry

Cap Henry

CHR Cars

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 06:30 PM

Gary, doing some quick math, a 1/24 Knoxville is a 110 foot track on the inside & 137 feet on the outside. That's a pretty big track lol in 1/32 you get 82 feet inside and 103 on the outside.

Now Knoxville is a big track on its own, so if you have a big open space go for it! But if you don't an oval any size would be fun painted up to look like Knoxville. Don't forget the Hall of Fame and Dingus across the street! LOL

#3 slotpup

slotpup

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 10:19 AM

I thought of building a small bullring on a 4x8 foot sheet of mdf for 1/32 and 1/24 sprint cars.  Anyone have feedback on this particular size?  Lane spacing etc?

Gary Mullens

#4 Cap Henry

Cap Henry

CHR Cars

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 10:09 PM

4 inch lane spacing would be good for a bull ring with those size cars

#5 idare2bdul

idare2bdul

Grand Champion Poster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,799 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 01:03 AM

I would have to agree with the 4 inch spacing. I'd just make the track to fit the space, it won't make much difference. The longer the straights the more it becomes a builders war instead of a drivers battle.

The light at the end of the tunnel is almost always a train.
Mike Boemker

#6 Hworth08

Hworth08

Posting Leader

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,563 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 10:05 AM

A "perfect" oval, which few are, divides the two corners and straights into equal length which for a 1/2 mile is an 1/8th mile each.

An 1/8 mile is 660 feet which 1/24th scales to 27.5 feet for each straight and each turn would be 8.758 radius.

For home racing I'd suggest a 4 by 16 track with 4 inch spacing. That's close to a 1/4 mile track but makes much more of a bull ring, the action on an oval is the turns. On a tight track you'll drive your tail off passing someone on an inner lane and a good driver can keep someone squeezed down that's passing on the inside.

Have a good timing system that provides lane rotation and be sure you have a friendly group with no hot-heads. Couple hours of short track racing can wear you out and after the group starts learning the little "games" to win in heavy traffic friendships can be tested. Takes a group that turns their emotions off when the last race is over! :)

Don Hollingsworth
11/6/54-2/13/18
Requiescat in Pace

Electric Dreams Online Shop