Photo

Set screws for vintage aluminum wheels (Riggen, AJ's)

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Bill Breck

Bill Breck

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 02:28 PM

Hi Everybody,

I need to get some replacement set screws for a few Riggen and AJ's aluminum wheels. I'm guessing that the correct size/thread is .035 4-40 but I'm not sure.

Does anybody know the correct size and thread for these wheels?

#2 Mark Johnson

Mark Johnson

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 09:50 PM

2-56

#3 Hworth08

Hworth08

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,563 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 08:49 AM

4-40, one item that hasn't changed through the years.

Don Hollingsworth

#4 PCH Parts Express

PCH Parts Express

Posting Leader

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 10:32 AM

Are you guys saying that a common Parma set screw (Par-555) will do the trick?

Scott Salzberg
PCH Parts Express

#5 Hworth08

Hworth08

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,563 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 01:52 PM

Hi Scott,

I'm not familiar with Parma's numbers but the same set screws that fit today's new wheels also fit all the vintage wheels. Same screws that are used in Parma gears.

Today's set screws are sometimes short or hollow to save weight but all wheels have always been 4-40.

Don Hollingsworth

#6 Pat McGee

Pat McGee

Representative for the Guild of Calamitous Intent

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 11:03 AM

HO wheels used either 2-56 or 0-80 if I recall.

What's all this brouhaha?

I'm told I have a face for radio and a voice that belongs in the newspaper...

Follow me for fun! Go slot car racing!

#7 Ramcatlarry

Ramcatlarry

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 04:09 PM

SOME vintage (1/32 & 1/24)  are different...maybe 4-40 or 5-40 like the old axles...or even 3-48.

Larry D. Kelley, MA
retired raceway owner... (for now)
race directing around Chicago-land

USRA 2011 member #025-2
USSCA 2015 member
Great Lakes Slot Car Club member
60+ year pin Racing rail/slot cars in America

#8 Big E

Big E

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 08 August 2015 - 08:08 PM

***MORE INFORMATION ADDED TO THIS ARTICLE ON 8/9/15***

These techniques apply to all scales, so read through it even though I'll be specific about the hard to do HO sizes, as this was posted in the Vintage HO Cars Forum. The proper thread size for the set screws on the HO scale wheels should be 0-80, same as the axles and jamb nuts. The very small hex wrench size is .028", so buy a couple of good quality ones. I like to use the vintage aj's wheel sets on my Aurora T-Jet runners and racers. They look great with the aluminum wheels all polished up, right? Many times the set screw is seized (bi-metal reaction from being unused for decades) in the aluminum wheel. Patience, along with lots of applications of WD-40 and the good quality hex wrench are usually required! If you have wheels without any tires on them, heat can also be carefully applied, if necessary. After you've got the set screws out, hold them with the wrench and carefully clean them up with a fine wire brush. Be sure to work over a shop rag or tray that will catch the screws should you drop them (it happens). Add some oil to the screw and wheel threads and see if you can easily thread them back into the wheels, WITHOUT forcing them. If needed, use an 0-80 tap to clean up the threads in the wheel (including the thread on type), working carefully and with oil, because aluminum is soft metal. An 0-80 die is also handy for chasing any rough threads on the steel axles of the thread on type wheel and tire sets, again working slowly with oil on the axle threads. Both the tap and die are good additions to any HO racer's tool box. When re-installing the set screws, I always put some good quality oil in the threads of the wheel and the set screw itself. Excess oil can always be wiped away before racing, and this usually prevents the two metals from seizing again. Check the set screw axles for any burrs, clean them up with fine emery cloth. A light drop of oil on the axle when re-installing the wheel (whether set screw or thread on type) is always a good idea. If jamb nuts are being used, be sure the thread in those are clean as well. Now, it's time to clean everything up and polish those wheels! Use Simichrome or similar metal polish with a Q-Tip. As I said at the top, the same techniques can be applied to the larger scale wheel sets, just use the appropriate size tools and hardware.

Thanks for reading, I hope this helps you guys out. Enjoy! -- Ernie :>)

• triggerman likes this
Ernie Finamore

#9 Bill Breck

Bill Breck

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 07:20 PM

Thanks to all who have replied to this topic. You have been very helpful. :good:

#10 MarcusPHagen

MarcusPHagen

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 05:08 AM

I have a few pairs of these HO setscrew wheels and axles (unused). If anyone is interested I will post them for sale in the swap shop.

Marcus

Attached Images

• 2015-11-07 04.04.32.jpg

Marcus P. Hagen -- see below, my five favorite quotes: applicable to slot cars & life in general.
[ "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.". . Daniel Patrick Moynihan ]
[ "Time is the best teacher. Unfortunately, it kills all its students.". . . . . . . . Hector Berlioz ]
[ "There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness." . . . . . . . . . . . Dave Barry ]
[ "Build what you like to build, they are all doomed." . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Prof. Fate ]
[ "The less rules the more fun. Run what you brung." . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Larry LS ]

#11 Phil Hackett

Phil Hackett

Posting Leader

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,221 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 12:13 AM

There are many HO wheels made with #2-56 but I have also seen #0-80 & #4-40. Take your pick. (I have never seen #3-48 used as a set screw for HO but it's always possible.)

Click HERE to contact Sonic Products. The messenger feature on my Slotblog account has been disabled.

Posted Image

Electric Dreams Online Shop