13 replies to this topic

#1 Dennis David

Dennis David

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 08:23 PM

After racing Slot.its on the Flat Track at SCR we hope to try the larger scale of Scaleauto from Spain. I will be placing an order with Frank for a Dodge Viper:

SC-7055_01web-3615f74139.png

SC-7057-SRT-Viper-GTS-R-Official-Team---

I'll use this thread to relay my observations.

Dennis David

#2 SlotStox#53

SlotStox#53

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,084 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 10:44 PM

Very nice looking cars those Scale Auto ones :) look forward to hearing your thoughts on how they run.

#3 n9949y

n9949y

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 03:31 PM

1/24 Scaleauto cars work very well- and look good! Mine is a SC-7042 SRT Viper GTS-R White Racing Kit,

$135, I bought from 132 slotcar.us, Tacoma, WA.  I substituted the driver figure from a Fujimi driver kit as

the stock one is unrealistic, is mounted too close to the dashboard and too toy like. This is a fictional car not

specifically modeling any particular one, though what one could look like at 2014 Le Mans. Decals are from

Pattos. His decals may not be the best but he produces hundreds for all sorts of race cars.

It's raced in the GTO class at  Pelican park Speedway, Eugene, OR. While many of our Deathstar now Proslot

2002 powered 1/24th cars run a lap time of 4.7 sec on our 88 foot track, 1/24th Scaleauto cars being lesser

powered lap about a second longer. 1/2th ScaleAutos are quite easy to drive, and on a track designed for

chassis magnatised action they are pefect for a dedicated modeler whose racing is more casual.

14ViperSRTLside_zps104b6eb4.jpg

14ViperClosertside_zps261fcf2d.jpg

14Viperheadon_zpsa8767928.jpg

14ViperRtrearoverhead_zps9ed1b7af.jpg

14Viperfrontlow_edited-1_zpsab981823.jpg

14Vipermounting_zps22442abe.jpg

Todd Messinger
8/9/38-1/9/20
Requiescat in Pace

#4 Dennis David

Dennis David

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 01:17 PM

I've seen your car, very nice. Did you add any performance pars and what were they?

Dennis David

#5 n9949y

n9949y

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 02:43 PM

Hello David:

I changed the guide flag and added lead weight strips on bottom sides of the chassis pans.  I've widened the wheel track, fore & aft with axle spacers. I designed a different way of mounting: drilled two holes in the pans for two 4x40 screws and nuts, the latter secured to the body by Devcon Plastic Welder. I sanded the four body posts a bit shorter so that the body sits almost 1/16 inch lower on the chassis. I'm using Scaleauto's Procomp-3 sponge rear tires. Most screws and bolts are secured with small applications of Permatex Blue.

14Viperchassisbottom_zps43520328.jpg

14Vipermounting_zps22442abe.jpg

Devcon Plastic Welder isn't an epoxy. Rather it's a Methacrylate Adhesive which is a toughened structural adhesive for difficult-to-bond engineered plastics, composites, unprepared metals, ceramics, and dissimilar substrates. Local body shops use the adhesive to attach dissimilar materials. It  require little or no surface preparation and cure at room temperature with no cumbersome heating fixtures required.

Plastic Welder provides us builders at PPS with extremely strong, flexible, permanent bonds. Sometimes when applied to model plastics the bonding gives off a bit of warmth indicating a chemical reaction is occurring.  I use it for the building and assembling all my hard bodies.  For example, to strengthen the Viper's  rear wing assembly I reinforced it by gluing pieces and parts of ACCO steel prong fasteners to the underside of the wing, the uprights, then the ACCO steel prongs are extended through the body, then bent and glued to the body underside.

Plastic Welder's allowed us at Pelican Park to keep our hard bodies repaired and going for long times.By the way I use model airplane canopy adhesives to fasten windshields and windows.

Todd Messinger
8/9/38-1/9/20
Requiescat in Pace

#6 Dennis David

Dennis David

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 02:13 PM

Todd, thanks for the tips, Always nice to see what you guys are up to. We have also, actually Frank has but it's a great idea to allow 1/24 BRM model cars to race with the Scaleautos as we build critical mass. A while back SCR had tried to get a BRM program going but was not successful. Some  guys got stuck with the cars. I also know there are guys in Oakland/Alameda that race BRMs and even some up in Sacramento. 

Just wanted to invite everyone that has a Scaleauto or BRM to come over to Rohnert Park and do some practicing prior to our first race. We run on the flat track at 13.6 volts with light spray glue. You'll need foam tires but you can add all the magnets you want ... of course they won't do a bit of good ;-). Currently we're running stock motors but allow other performance parts. As we progress we might come up with a spec motor.

We want to make this a success for the raceway since the last attempt failed. We're building on the popularity of our Slot.it races and so far things are looking pretty good.

Dennis David

#7 Dennis David

Dennis David

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 10:57 PM

scale1n.jpg

The feedback from the racers is very favorable with the cars already in the mid-7 second range straight out of the box with a change to sponge rubber.

Dennis David

#8 Justin A. Porter

Justin A. Porter

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 10:55 AM

How would you describe the way they behave on track? I've had these cars on my personal radar for some time and I'm curious how their driving could be likened to other similarly sized slot cars, like hardbody FCR's or 4.5" Flexis.

#9 Dennis David

Dennis David

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:22 AM

They are amazingly stable and the Procomp 3 tires seem to have just the right amount of grip that you can swing the tail out. The motor is not as fast but seem just right for these cars and they are beautiful cars as you can see. Big step up from the BRMs

Dennis David

#10 Uncle Fred

Uncle Fred

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 12:24 PM

I had the opportunity to race one of these at Tyler Raceway in Texas a couple of weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised at the handling. 

Fred Correnti

#11 Dennis David

Dennis David

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 01:43 PM

These are not light cars. I think they would work well under kit bodies as well plus the Procomp sponge tires come in 4 levels from soft to hard

Dennis David

#12 cdtanner

cdtanner

Backmarker

• Member at Peace
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 02:06 PM

We have been racing the Scaleauto cars for a few years now, in addition to our flexis and retro Can-Am cars. The Scaleautos have become our favourite class. I think you will enjoy them. They do work well under model kit bodies and other brands of slot car bodies. I put this Carrera body on a Scaleauto chassis:

S_349CROP.jpg

Chris Tanner
2/23/56-4/10/22
Requiescat in Pace

#13 Dennis David

Dennis David

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 05:06 PM

Now that's what I'm talking about.

Dennis David

#14 Laurs

Laurs

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 02:15 PM

I have been racing scaleautos (no magnet) for a little year now, an my experience with them, is that you get a very good handling car with a couple of days of work and adjustments.

- take everything apart and make them straight/flat!, by bending and grinding everything on a flat surface

- change the screws to some good quality steel screws with torx head

- be carefull to align everything perfectly!

- set riding height to 1,2mm 

- change rear tyres to procomp3

- change front wheels to hardcomp and coat and polish them (endning up on 8x26,5mm)

- change interior and windows to lexan

- make sure everything on the body is glued together and straight 

- replace rear wing 'holders' to rubber

We use them for 2 and 3 hour endurance race on our 40m plastic track, running 13,6v

Henrik Laursen
Skive Minirace

Electric Dreams Online Shop