• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Gene/ZR1

Gene/ZR1

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 08:53 PM

Yes, it has been awhile and I did work there for a while.

You will enjoy this,

G

The Genius Between Us
  • Jaak likes this
Eldon Adams AKA Gene/ZR1
ZR1 Corvette owner
Hand-carved balsa bodies, resin body plugs, silicone molds, vacuum bodies
Genes_World@ymail.com

#2 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,403 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 09:22 PM

Gene, that's a nice piece of history. I've saved a copy on my laptop so I can easily find it in the future. Thanks for sharing this piece. :)

Bill Fernald

You have to be odd to be #1. :laugh2: 

#3 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 21,903 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 09:26 PM

I fixed the link in the first post.

FWIW, a link to this story has been posted here before, I'm pretty sure. Didn't search to find it, but I'm certain it is here somewhere.

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#4 Gene/ZR1

Gene/ZR1

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 09:32 PM

Thanks for the link fix.

I have never seen the post, but I most likely overlooked it.

Yep, I made $2 an hour working there, but not long term, I think in 1969.

Ted was a nice person and that is the way I will remember him.
Eldon Adams AKA Gene/ZR1
ZR1 Corvette owner
Hand-carved balsa bodies, resin body plugs, silicone molds, vacuum bodies
Genes_World@ymail.com

#5 Maximo

Maximo

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 10:00 PM

Thanks, Gene!

You know how very much I want to expose the history and facts and document that era of Detroit slot car racing. This was a very compelling and engaging story written by a real humanizing point of view from the daughter of co-founder of Dyna-Rewind Ted Lech.

Dyna-Rewind_zpsd35b2889.jpg

-maX
David Ray Siller
Thingies are my thingie!

#6 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 9,014 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 10:06 PM

Great story and personally, it really touched me for several reasons, but of course I like to imagine that what I enjoy doing most with slots (motors) is inspired by guys like him. Sure, his genius is NOT evident in what I do, but the motivation sure is. One thing that really struck a chord (among many) was this:

For about $.50 he (or she) could rent a lane and race whomever showed up that evening for 30 minutes.

That was how I remember my earliest slot car experiences. I did enter some races but was never a good enough driver... and my cars certainly weren't competitively fast compared to the "fast guys" (the big kids who I probably ticked off by always hanging around and asking questions).

What I can say is that the hot rewinders' motors looked like plutonium-powered warp drives... and I wanted to be able to make those! I smoked a lot of motors, some went pretty well (probably more by luck than anything), but I was hooked. All these years later, I decided to give it a shot one more time, and lo and behold... I can make motors!  

So, to Mr Lech, Mr French and a few others I say... thanks. You've given me a lifetime of fun, and we never met!

-john

• Maximo, boxerdog, Samiam and 1 other like this
John Havlicek

#7 Jaak

Jaak

Jaak Beentjes - JaakWorks

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 01:10 AM

Gene great to see you with us again.

Fascinating story, thanks for sharing!

Sig1_zps24552ee9.jpg
THINGIEPHILE REBEL EXTRAORDINAIRE
JaakWorks Website

#8 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 9,014 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 08:51 AM

In a sort of coincidental way, I was just talking to a friend the other day about the fascination with the old Mabuchis. He doesn't get it... other than from a historical perspective and doing restorations. My take was that, even with the stock magnets, a 16-26-36D motor can still be fast and fun... even very fast. Certainly, a modern D motor can be potentially faster although I don't think D motor racing is done with more than a #30 wind.  

In any case, it occurs to me that the... er... "grooviness" of running old Mabuchis is much more about connecting with the history (like this for example!) in a very direct way, and not *just* reading about it. I know that some popular vintage racing goes on in Europe, I assume much more so than here in The States.  Running an old Mabuchi (rewound or stock) in an old chassis (or a replica of an old chassis) is not just "class-spec" racing (or even just running for fun) like any other where people are all limited by rules, it's living the history.

So, running a rewound Mabuchi isn't generally going to be as fast as running a rewound modern D motor (does anyone actually even do that anyway?), but that isn't going to be as fast as running G12 or G27/7 or opens. The thing is, it's about way more than "fast". You can almost smell the oil of wintergreen, you can almost see the Vitalis slicked-back hair, white socks, and black loafers of the racers. You can just about hear the sort-of shady looking track owner telling you why you MUST have that Dyna-Rewind on the wall with the "come hither look" behind the counter.  ;)

-john

• Maximo and Jaak like this
John Havlicek

#9 Maximo

Maximo

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 09:15 AM

John,

You are the modern motor guru now and one day there will be articles about you. I love the old Mabuchis, that is why I use them for the basis of my retro modern thingie motors that I send to you for magic work.

-Max

David Ray Siller
Thingies are my thingie!

#10 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 8,403 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 09:35 AM

16D is 70 turns of 30 ga. on a .600" stack, Super 16D is 60 turns of 28 ga. on a .500" stack.

Bill Fernald

#11 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 9,014 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 11:04 AM

Yeah... but isn't it almost all the 70t/30 "regular" 16D stuff?  

-john
John Havlicek

#12 Guillermo Suar

Guillermo Suar

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 12:20 PM

Dyna-Rewind_zpsd35b2889.jpg

Funny how they mismatched the numbers.
  • Jaak likes this
Because light travels faster than sound, some people appear to be bright until we hear them speaking.

#13 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 8,403 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 12:33 PM

That depends if your talking specific race classes, sealed motor racing, or cars someone wants just to run around a track. For instance, the GTP flexi class has used S16D arms for over 20 years. The first commercially available American wound arms for D-cans were the RJR S16D arms. In some of the scale racing classes, S16D motors are legal to run with the C-can motors, Sealed motor racing has sold a lot of 16D motors, both Parma Deathstars & Proslot SpeedFXs. The "just for running around" cars will have a good mix of both since the retail cost of a S16D motor is only a buck or two more than a 16D motor. In bulk numbers, probably more 16D motors have been sold than S16D. Much of that is because most sealed motor racing is done with a 16D. I won't address drag racing usages of 16D & S16D motors because I haven't followed it. My guess would be that it's a good mix of both.

Max, it appears that advertising didn't proof-read their layouts, or else didn't know much about slot car motors. :)

Bill Fernald

#14 NSwanberg

NSwanberg

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 12:36 PM

I noticed that. The pictures are wrong.
Remember the Steube bar!
SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL RACEWAY!!
"The denial of denial is the first sign of denial." Hank, from Corner Gas
Nelson Swanberg

Peace be with all of us and good racing for the rest of us.
Have controller. Will travel. Slot Car Heaven

#15 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 21,903 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 12:38 PM

A paste-up error, almost certainly.

When that ad was created, there wasn't anything like desktop publishing on a computer.

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#16 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 9,014 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 03:08 PM

Bill,

I was asking about organized racing... and it at least *seems* as though most of that (by participants) is just regular 16D.

-john
John Havlicek

#17 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 21,903 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 03:43 PM

My perception, John, is that 16D racing is on the wane, especially as Parma has not been able to re-up their inventory of Deathstars.

My suspicion is that the Chinese motor makers are no longer cataloging a 16D form factor motor, but I have not researched that belief.

In any event, I feel that the so-called FK form factor motor is the wave of the future across the slot car spectrum (except perhaps for high-end Wing cars). That's basically what's already happened in the rest of the world.
  • George Blaha likes this

Gregory Wells

#18 George Blaha

George Blaha

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 04:03 PM

Rewinding a motor in the 1960s was just like hot rodding a full-size automobile engine – faster, stronger, and better than the original – because I could dial in the performance I wanted for various tracks and events – lots of types at the time.

Mabuchis or ANY other motor could be improved with certain mods but the Mabuchis were easiest (like small block Chevys and flathead Ford V8s) and three poles were an easier wind than a five pole. The 26D was easy to give a kick in the seat and was easy to adapt to many forms of fast racing including pro.

The Mabuchis (as you guys spell it) owe me and my old clients nothing!

Shakey George Blaha

• Half Fast likes this

#19 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 9,014 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 04:24 PM

My perception, John, is that 16D racing is on the wane, especially as Parma has not been able to re-up their inventory of Deathstars.

My suspicion is that the Chinese motor makers are no longer cataloging a 16D form factor motor, but I have not researched that belief.

In any event, I feel that the so-called FK form factor motor is the wave of the future across the slot car spectrum (except perhaps for high-end Wing cars). That's basically what's already happened in the rest of the world.

Could very well be, Greg. It would be a shame, by my way of thinking if people didn't just migrate to "Contender" type C-can racing, but at least there are Hawk type removable endbell motors still around... for now(?). 

The Mabuchis (as you guys spell it)

...well, the company is Mabuchi Motors, there were several different motors used for slots made by Mabuchi... so those (plural) would be Mabuchis. How do you spell it?

-john

John Havlicek

#20 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 8,403 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 09:09 PM

If D-can motor usage dies, and it might, I doubt its replacement will be a C-can motor with "Contender" type arms. They are much too fast for entry level racers to handle successfully. C-cans would need an arm similar to the Grp 12s we ran in Mura Green cans in the early '70s. Those were an "Americanized version" of today's Chinese arms, cheap, fine wire, unbalanced, untied comms, and something other than epoxy on the windings. I sooner think someone will develop a mediocre powered FK motor, or use one of the existing 1/32 scale motors such as the Piranha or an H&R for entry level racing.

Pro Slot still sells a D-can motor. In certain situations, they're too fast to be universally used as 16D replacements. More than one batch of them has suffered from poor Chinese quality control.

Bill Fernald

#21 Samiam

Samiam

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,029 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 01:56 AM

"poor Chinese quality control."

As opposed to what? LOL  

I was always under the impression there wasn't any Chinese QC. The end of the assembly line led directly to shipping.  

Sam Levitch

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters, and if you do not have integrity, nothing else matters."
Robert Mueller,special council.(2013)

#22 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 9,014 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 08:18 AM

If D-can motor usage dies, and it might, I doubt it's replacement will be a C-can motor with "Contender" type arms. They are much too fast for entry level racers to handle successfully.

The actual arm could be anything, Bill, and certainly there's no reason for a C motor with a spec arm to be any faster than a D motor.

Of course, a C would still be rebuildable just like a D. There is absolutely no difference in C can technology and D can technology from a functional standpoint.  The endbell is of course MUCH better than the stupid Parma arrangement, there are more choices for magnets, and the motor is a MUCH better size from an efficiency standpoint.  

There are many reasons why a C is a superior choice and none that would stop it from being used. There are also no reasons why a C needs to be more expensive... it's made in exactly the same way as a D. The racers themselves should be "up to speed" in no time, and the guys who are going fast now with a D, would still undoubtedly be going fast with a C motor. For sure, people will hate jumping after having invested in the D, but that's only going to happen if the industry makes that decision for them as Greg suggests it may.

*IF* there is to be a replacement for the D and it's not the C, it makes sense that it would be the smaller FK-sized Hawk-type motors just because the can dimensions are roughly the same as the sealed "Falcon" type FK-sized motors.

• Samiam likes this
John Havlicek

#23 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 8,403 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 08:44 AM

C-can motors have been around long before the current Chinese D-cans. If entry level racing was going to gravitate to C-cans, it would have already done so. At some point, Parma is going to need a motor to install into their RTR womps, FCRs, and flexis, but what will it be? The dollar will dictate.

Bill Fernald

#24 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 9,014 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 11:28 AM

C-can motors have been around long before the current Chinese D-cans. If entry level racing was going to gravitate to C-cans, it would have already done so.

I note your use of the word "current", but D motors have been around  a lot longer than C motors and the "current" D motors are just an update of the old D motors, which no doubt had something to do with its adoption in the first place.  

None of us knows if D motors will go away, or what might replace them. There's always the possibility that people (users and manufacturers) will do something intelligent and use a motor that's already out there, and has definite advantages over D motors and also the smaller "Hawk" type motors... IF they decide to move away from the D. I don't race, but as always, the manufacturers' decision won't necessarily reflect what the racers want!

-john

John Havlicek

Electric Dreams Online Shop