• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 MG Brown

MG Brown

Grand Champion Poster

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,566 posts
  • Location:The Land of Lincoln, where governors make the license plates.

Posted 09 January 2008 - 07:40 AM

I received this today in a PM but I think the person sending it to me intended it for the message board. Hopefully some of you wood track gurus can help with this.

---------------

Hi, was reading the post about TSRF 1/32 racing. I have one each of the 1/32 and 1/24 TSRF cars (RTR chassis). Both have been upgraded from plastic guide blades to steel guide pins. Both were then modified per instructions on the TSRF website to move the position of the steel guide pin to center the braids.

Trouble is - when I remove the traction magnets and attempt to race both on wood tracks, I still lose power when the cars slide in the turns. On plastic track and with traction magnets these two chassis perfrom perfectly.

I am ready to just seel both off on eBay... I am worn out trying to get these cars raceworthy. Any help you can give me to make these cars perform on a wood track would be greatly appreciated. I am currently thinking of removing the steel guide pins and braids and soldering in something to add a standard guide flag. But am tired of trying, so I am now at the point of just giving up on these cars completely. I do think they have potential, and when I read that others are actually RACING these cars, I know I must be doing something wrong???

Do the cars you race lose power when they slide on the turns? HELP!!

"I'm just here for the entertainment." George Carlin

#2 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 41,435 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 11:44 AM

Wood tracks generally require different tires, the sponge kind, because most wood tracks have/had some kind of traction compound applied to them at one time or another. Racing with tires designed for plastic track on wood with traces of traction compound amounts to racing on ice.

TSR races as organized in California on wood tracks have presented absolutely zero problem to anyone as far as contact loss, and I think that everyone who participates to such can vouch for that. Why? Because the cars never slide enough to cause a loss of contact anyway. If anything, the problem we have is to make them slide more, because they have too much mechanical grip and have a tendency to stand on their sides rather than slide. Too much traction. Hence, we add a lot of weight and actually narrow the tires to compensate.

The proper tires in such conditions are the THP2402 or THP3202.

As far as running the cars on plastic tracks with no magnets or wood tracks where there has NEVER been any traction compound, it is highly recommended to upgrade the tires to the THP2412 or THP3212, as the stock tires are dust collectors and will cause the cars to slide excessively as soon as the tires have collected the dust that always settles on the surface.

#3 Slapshot

Slapshot

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 12:20 AM

Are the THP2406 wheels still availible to use with the THP2412 tires?

We have just rebuilt a Hasse 135 foot Hillclimb with Magnatech braid which will be running absolutely no glue. The class will be 1/24 TSR with possibly some of the new Revell Porsche 962 and Sauber Mercedes (or any of the TSR listed bodies) hardbodies with magnets being allowed. We would like to use the club chassis kit but exchange out the foam tires for the THP2412 tires but I haven't seen the 1/24 rims for them availible for the Ortman tires. I have checked the ED and TSR site. Just the THP2405 club rims are listed.

Will the rims be availible or will the club rims work with fidgeting? Or will the club tire be sufficient. I am new at the model car racing end...

More to follow...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Raymond Batchelor

#4 idare2bdul

idare2bdul

Grand Champion Poster

• 5,632 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 12:35 AM

I don't think you will find that you need the magnets. The 1/24 cars have plenty of bite.

You might also try the 1/32 TSR cars. They have very decent speed and handling and lots of bodies can be adapted over to them.

Good luck and good racing. We had a good time racing them at the recent convention.
The light at the end of the tunnel is almost always a train.
Mike Boemker

#5 Slapshot

Slapshot

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 01:44 AM

Thanks, Mike.

Was that with the TSR Club track car included foam tires or the TSR/Ortman?

When we get a few cars assembled we will try both combos... just looking for the rims for the Ortman... but if the club tires work that would be great.
Raymond Batchelor

#6 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 41,435 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 08:10 AM

All the races we ran in SoCal were with foam tires over aluminum wheels. However we also run the cars with TSR/Ortmann tires over plastic wheels on plastic track, and using two magnets, the cars are fast and fun.

TSR is having a new batch of alloy wheels for the TSR/Ortmann tires being manufactured, as they ran out of them too quickly.

#7 Slapshot

Slapshot

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 09:23 AM

Thanks, Philippe.

That good news to hear about the rims. If not, I was about to see if Lee Gilbert could manufacture them in his Speedshop manufacuring facility (aka his living room workshop). Insert smilie icon here. By the way did you twist Lee's arm into TSR racing while at the Masters race in Chicago? If not, I will twist it here in the NW. Don't let his "Eurosports are real cars attitude" fool you, put a model car in his hand with a controller and he has as much fun as the rest of us.

The setscrew rims in either form are easier to work with. At least for me, an old-time set screw trained Eurosport racer.

Being this will be a dry track and brand new epoxy surface what very few cars we have tried so far the silicones or soft rubber are better suited, as foam sponge seems slightly ice-skate slimey.

Since the re building of the track, a BRM car ran with reasonable good results. Problem is these cars are not being made available for sales in the raceway due to crosstown distributorship problem in the Seattle/Tacoma area. I recommended to the track owner to run the TSR cars since they are far superior in design and adaptablity to different bodies. I think it will be a great choice.

The owner just got his shipment of TSR RTR cars and kits, so he should have some cars running in the next couple weekends. Just got to work on what works here.
Raymond Batchelor

#8 Mike Wierman

Mike Wierman

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 12:35 PM

Phillipe is right. One of my race programs at FunTime Slotcars & Raceway (www.FunTimeSlotcars.com) is based on the 1/24 scale TSR chassis. We have a large Hasse Hillclimb that was completely rebuilt as it was installed and the decision was made to put down magnatech braid and have a no glue track since it was an all new surface. This decision was not without concequences as I needed to find tires that worked on this surface. Soft silicone tires worked well particularly with 1/32 cars but they were hard to find for 1/24 scale. I then got turned on to "Solongies", standard foam tires with coated in silicone. These work extremely well. We started by getting some from some vendors to test. As our needs for tires expanded in types and sizes we started making our own. Some people at my track are making the tires from scratch, some are coating existing tires. I have even made some that worked fairly well and I am not a builder. These tires work on any none glue track, wood or plastic. If done correctly they seem to last OK and we are working on a better technique to help the wear. You can see an article on OWH website on how to coat the tires.

#9 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 41,435 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 01:08 PM

Mike,
TSR would be please to provide the sponge tires for making "silongies". The catalogue part # THP2402 can be slightly ground on a tire truer to receive a coat of silicone.
Please let us know if you need any advice on how to run these cars, they sure are a lot of fun. For the 1/24 scale and because of their extra weight, I recommend the fitting of the new D3 motor, far more powerful than the stock unit and providing the extra torque and brakes to make these cars lots of fun.
Regards,

#10 Vay Jonynas

Vay Jonynas

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 02:02 PM

When I see a track like that I want to get out my cars and race right now. I honestly don't understand how anyone can resist the hobby.

:wub:
Posted Image

#11 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 41,435 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 02:10 PM

Especially when oen can run model cars like these below without having to spend days bolting them together with a rocket scientist license and they actually go and handle... :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

:)

Electric Dreams Online Shop