Photo

Midwest 1/32 racers... brass pans and guide pins!

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#51 SlotStox#53

SlotStox#53

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,820 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 05:35 PM

Holy smokes! What a beautiful trio of cars! They seriously look like fresh builds :D

Testimony to the original builder/s and your skill at bringing them back to their full glory.. top stuff Rick, it's been a pleasure watching you work on these :good:

#52 dc-65x

dc-65x

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,961 posts
  • Location:Captain Rick: The only vintage slot car nut in SW Oregon?

Posted 14 February 2015 - 11:45 AM

Thanks Paul. I enjoyed working on these cars. They are really well made and deserve to "live again".

Speaking of living again, here is the "guts" of Rodney's Porsche before and after his restoration. THANKS RODNEY :

Porsche (1).jpg

Porsche (2).jpg

Porsche (3).jpg

Porsche (6).jpg

Porsche (7).jpg

Porsche (4).jpg

Porsche (5).jpg

Porsche (8).jpg

The chassis had a few broken solder joints so I re-soldered all of the joints. 

The car is powered by an early Mura A can motor with a mild wind that looks like 29 single.  I could not identify the motor magnet shim.  A six tooth pinion gear is used with a 32 tooth Cox spur gear.

I replaced the front wheels and tires.  The originals were too out of round.  Cut down Russkit wheel inserts replaced missing ones on the front.  I decided to use black foam tires instead of using orange tires on the rear.

I think the rear assembly is a cut down Phase lll part.  The main rails that go to the front axle tube are made of thin wire.  The drop arm is heavily weighted.  When the chassis is attached to the body, the chassis has 1/16" clearance.  The pans flop down when not attached   to the body.

I will try the car with various braid lengths.

• slotbaker and miko like this

Rick Thigpen
Check out Steve Okeefe's great web site at its new home here at Slotblog:
The Independent Scratchbuilder
There's much more to come...

#53 dc-65x

dc-65x

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,961 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 10:25 PM

Now that's seriously cool! Is that a Ferret back end on that chassis?

Hi Paul,

Rodney emailed me this correction:

"Rick, the reader is right.  It is a Ferret part!"

You've got the "Eagle Eye" Paul :good:

Rick Thigpen

#54 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,319 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 11:09 PM

Ferret manufactured many of the Phaze III brass chassis parts. But I've only seen this rear anglewinder plate being sold in chassis & chassis kits bearing the Ferret name, both here in the US & in England.

Bill Fernald

I for I, like roman numerals.

#55 Pete L.

Pete L.

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,339 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 09:41 PM

Rick,

Beautiful work on the trio of oldies, thanks for sharing !   Rodney's Porsche is another one for the books !!!

Peter J. Linszky

C.A.R.S. Vintage Slot Car Club

#56 dc-65x

dc-65x

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,961 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 10:00 PM

Thanks Pete, I really enjoyed working on these cars. I'm glad to have "saved" them from rotting into oblivion....for a little while at least. I'm old too!

Rodney always has cool cars. I don't know where he finds them but I'm glad he does.

Rick Thigpen

#57 dc-65x

dc-65x

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,961 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 01:07 PM

This is all the information I have from the seller about the cars:

"To be honest, the entire lot of slot cars (about a dozen 1/32nd and 124th scale models) was purchased at a local Flea Market in early December. The dealer is from Wisconsin I think (I'll ask when I see him next). I immediately recognized the Cox equipment, but it took me a while to figure out that the rest were scratchbuilt. Incredible engineering!"

My seller got back to me as promised after talking to the Flea Market seller he bought the cars from. Not a lot of info but here's what he said:

"Richard, I found out yesterday that the flea market dealer who I bought the cars from found them in Jefferson, Wisconsin."

I asked him if the Flea Market seller said if he got them from a yard sale or another flea market or????? He replied:

"He did not, but I suspect an estate sale or home cleanout. This guy only brings quality merchandise to the show, and I did score yet another amazing find from him. Closer to my collecting niche which is toy trains."

So I guess that's that.  Thanks to everyone who chimed in on the project! :)

Rick Thigpen

#58 Steve Burkey

Steve Burkey

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 07:28 PM

signed up just today on this blog in order to update and comment on this older string. Rick, I saw these 3 cars on ebay today, and being vaguely familiar to me, I looked closer as well as chasing down this discussion you mentioned there. First of all, let me just say you have done an amazing job in refurbishing these to what was most assuredly their original condition when raced in the 60's. In your "before" pictures posted here, I finally recognized them as being in that grouping of ebay auctions from several years ago (4?). I followed them closely at that time, and as I'll mention in a moment, was also able to get in on some "scores". I remember seeing at least 2 of these 3: the Lotus struck me as almost too far gone to bother with; the fact that it was an old vac body, and having a chassis material I could not discern in the photos. Guess i should have asked more at that time; it's just painted! Well, with all the other issues there, it certainly ended up in the right hands. It was beyond my abilities. Then the Porsche: for whatever reason, it just did not strike my fancy, and again, there was the mystery of "what's really under there?". But then there were two MASERATIS!. Well, I love masers. The fact that they were in more pieces than the previous two also helped my desire. I knew right away their geographical origins and uses, if not their builders. But I had always wanted a Wallingford build, and if these were not it, they were definitely in the same genre of builder capabilities! Most probably from the same group of guys who circulated the clubs at that time. So I bid them up and won, and of all my finds over many decades, I consider them the finest! As you know yes, they needed attention, so like you I continued to disassemble as far as was practical and proceeded with a period refurbish:

Maserati 250F most definitely based on the Dobson 'glas body of the early 60's. Modified and tuned mabuchi 16d again, which helped me date them about 1964. It had seen action: a chunk missing from the front axle cutout, which I carefully filled in with clear resin epoxy, just to strengthen it again. The shining feature of this car, which I saw in the photos: hand laced (!!) wire wheels! And since the rear foamies were long gone, flat spotted and dry rot, it took quite a bit of work to carefully remove all that without damaging the lace-through on the wheels. As to the wheels, which were common to all these, it took me a good amount of research to find out their source. At first thought they were RVM's with their double set-screws, until I read that those were of magnesium. Finally concluded, well, 99% anyway, that they were Auto Hobbies. But I had never run into these types/sizes before. But I had gone on the lascm site to study Wallingford's and those wheels were almost universally used in his. I also got excited there with the lack of Maser's. . . could these be his?? Back to the rears, the only appropriate foamies I had were the old Monograms, so used those being NOS, even though a bit wider than the originals.

Maserati 5000 gt, based on the old (well new that year!) Hawk static. Another amazing build here. Was a bit worried about the condition of the glass in the photos, it really looked boogered up. Turns out: just 50 years of dirt. All cleaned up with just warm water and dish soap. And then discovered that it had been vac formed to custom fit that shell! As well as had the interior plate, in order to provide the space for that 16d mabuchi again. A Revell driver to suit. The wheels got the same tire replacement as the other, but were missing proper decoration. I supplied some turned-down Strombecker clear etched wire inserts, which was a common solution on the Wallingford's, and I'm sure others. There were two ticklish operations for me on this one: it has a builder designed rear axle/bracket "suspension" feature which allows that assembly to rock a bit. It took me a while to figure it out, and then to re-solder a piano wire rod that helps limit travel (I think!?). Also, the hardwood block mounting in the rocker sections of the car had come separate/loose (these incorporating nicely done exhaust tips that stick out through the body), so I had to carefully think through a sequence of which and how to mount the first one, (with jb weld) keep it all lined up then get the other in. The body just needed soap/water; it's perfectly painted and detailed to match the 1965 Reims 12 hr. entry. It also uses some fiber washers to lift the body a bit off the pan; he really wanted to get that 16d under this very low car!

So can you tell I love these cars? Rolling history and art as well. Will be watching your auction closely!

Steve in Colorado

#59 dc-65x

dc-65x

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,961 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 09:28 PM

Hi Steve,

I drooled over those Maserati's on eBay.........hand laced wire wheels.........OH MY!

Sounds like we went on the same journey. Wonderful cars like these should be saved and I thank you for your efforts.

First of all, let me just say you have done an amazing job in refurbishing these to what was most assuredly their original condition when raced in the 60's

Thank you, that means a lot to me as that is exactly what I hoped to do. :thank_you2:

Also thanks for signing up on Slotblog. There are neat things happening here. :)

Rick Thigpen

#60 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,319 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 09:58 PM

Steve, where on the Front Range are you located? In 1995-96, I lived in Parker & worked for US West in Littleton. In those days, I don't think Colorado had any commercial raceways. Today, there are tracks. at Pueblo & Longmont. There are probably numerous club & HO tracks around too.

Bill Fernald

I for I, like roman numerals.

#61 Steve Burkey

Steve Burkey

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 04:23 PM

Whew!! Auction ended at $450+ dollars! All your labor well worth that. Rick, as far as you know, were these 3 and the 2 I got the whole lot of scratchbuilt midwesterners? The Naperville seller seemed to indicate in the above comments there were also Cox cars, etc. in the lot. Just wondering where they all went. Bill, I have lived in Arvada for quite a few years; we raised our kids here. Back then there was a track in "Old Town" just down the street. . . long gone, that whole area undergoing massive changes recently. Can't speak for Pueblo, but word is the Longmont track closed this year. They had announced a change in location, then. . .To see a bit of the local club action:

monovell.proboards.com  The Rocky Mt. Vintage Slotcar and Historical Racing Club; nice pics of the tracks on this site. Who I race with.

rmscclub.proboards.com  I think you need to sign up to see here. Also race more modern prototypes, and exclusively modern production.

mhosa.org   the HO club; don't know much but they are active.

If you have an issue of the on/off again "Slot Cars Magazine", spring of 2016 our locals were featured in the "club racing" column near the end.

Steve

#62 mdiv

mdiv

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,947 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 01:52 AM

Rick,

These cars are too cool for school.

Did I read correctly that they were sold?

Mike

Mike DiVuolo

"Prosecutors will be violated"

#63 dc-65x

dc-65x

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,961 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 11:44 AM

Hi Mike,

Yes I sold the cars. I think they would have brought more if sold individually but I thought it was important to keep them together so I sold them as one lot. They went to a good home (probably the best possible home) where they will be able to be viewed and persevered for the future.

Rick Thigpen

#64 mdiv

mdiv

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,947 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 05:22 PM

Hi Rick,

That's cool!  I'm sure they made someone very happy!

Mike

Mike DiVuolo

"Prosecutors will be violated"

Electric Dreams Online Shop