• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 McAllister

McAllister

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 02:27 PM

I first got this midget racer in about 1964, when I was fourteen or so. It was one of the first slot cars I ever owned, just about at the time when I was getting into slot racing in a big way.

I assembled it, painted it (a lovely shade of metallic turquoise), slapped on some decals, and started racing it on my figure-8 Strombecker track. I raced with the carelessness and reckless abandon of a typical early adolescent male. Soon the parts started coming off - exhaust pipes, front bumper, windshield - even the driver's head. There was no point in gluing them back on because they'd just get stripped off again in the next crash.

P4150326 Midget racer before.JPG

Midget racer in 2004, before "restoration," heading east.

My obsession with slots lasted for about two years. When I was around 16, I discovered GIRLS, and the toys got put away. Not thrown away, just put away in a tackle box along with a few of my other favorites.

Fast forward 26 years, innumerable moves and a thousand miles to 1990, and these lonely toys were still stashed away in my basement locker, or so I thought. One day I went downstairs to look for something, and discovered that someone had broken into my locker and stolen all my old slot cars, along with all my old Superman and Classics Illustrated comic books. But the thieves has passed over one of the cars they didn't consider worthy of stealing, and that was the little Strombecker midget racer. I was very sorry to lose those "souvenirs", because they represented something irreplaceable from my early years.

Fast forward another fourteen years to 2004, and once again I stumbled upon the midget racer in my locker while I was looking for something else. For some reason I was seized with the idea of restoring it. So that's what I did. There wasn't much purpose in looking for the chrome bits, and a 1/32 driver's head was surprisingly hard to find. The restoration job was pretty bush league I guess - matt black paint with silver trim, new tires (the ones in the old pic were actually from Dinky toys - the originals had long since rotted off), and a new head for the driver. The head kind of finished it off – it's too big (1/24 scale), but he looks like he's enjoying himself!

DSC_0072_Midget racer restored SE_50.jpg

Restored midget racer, heading southeast.

The motor in this car always had an annoying habit of cutting out. I finally realized this was because it moved around too much in the frame. I solved this using a very high-tech method. I wound a piece of brass wire (from my old tackle box) very tightly around the motor and frame, jammed the brushes firmly into the flag, and that solved the problem!

DSC_0071_Midget racer bottom size cropped_50.jpg

"Undercarriage" of midget racer, heading west.

I took my refurbished car down to the local slot track, and put it through its paces. It ran very well, with a very strong and energetic little motor, and the guys were very amused to see this little car gamely puttering around the track.

DSC_0147_MIdget racer restored apart E.jpg

Restored midget racer, showing chassis and body with brass wire "fix," heading east.

I just took it out again to take pictures for this post. I tested the motor again, and it's still running strong!

#2 Quickcars

Quickcars

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 07:32 PM

Nice work!  I've only run the Monogram versions of the Midget.  The Strommies are cute little buggers though...

• McAllister likes this
Paul Quick

#3 Quickcars

Quickcars

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 02:38 PM

I just picked up black and white versions of these from the auction site for cheap.  I had forgotten that I acquired a full kit and a nicely done black version some years ago.  Sadly I don't remember what I did with them???  Sheesh I'm getting old. Anywho, I'm looking forward to the delivery of my new additions.  I have a bunch of decals so I should be able to make them look decent.  I just hope the motors aren't DOA.

I have 9 Monogram Midgets and just love the way they run on my wood layout.  They are so much fun that my wife even does a few laps when I bring them out to play!

Paul Quick

Electric Dreams Online Shop