11 replies to this topic

#1 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,794 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 08:49 AM

While organized slot racing has experienced significant growth in the US, especially in the Retro genre, the hobby is growing even faster in Europe. Here's an abstract from the race report of a recent 1/32 event in Italy.

The 2015 Slot.it 3x4 "Classic Clash - Europe vs. USA" race was raced in Polesine Parmense, Italy, superbly organized by the Slot.up Team.

Forty teams, presenting 160 Slot.it classic cars. Each team had to choose whether they'd race with either US cars (Ford GT40 or MKII, Chaparral 2E, McLaren M8D), or European (Alfa 33/3, Ferrari 312 PB, Matra 670B). At least three different models had to be chosen within the group of cars, and each car could only race once.

Eventually, 23 teams choose US, 17 EU; 143 drivers overall.

The event was organized as four races, with a overall scoring system that worked very well. To explain how it worked, qualifying was used to determine four groups of ten teams. Each group raced on one eight-lane track, and a global race standing was made for all four tracks at the end of one full rotation of each group on their 'Track1'. Points were given to all teams according to this 'Race 1' standing, after which, all four groups of teams had to rotate to a different track, were Race 2 was held, and so on for all races. Each race had to be raced with a different model.

I wonder if 160 different cars and 143 drivers at one single race event is a sort of record. For sure it is, for Italy.

The racers' dinner was absolutely fantastic in a restaurant alongside the Po river, where the Gr. C World Endurance Championship 24H (8.8.8) was announced. It will be raced in Salsomaggiore Terme, April 10-12.

Overall the race winners are Team Slot.up Vacche Pazze (Ferri, Melioli, Rulfin, Cuomo).

Full race results (in Italian) and many more pictures can be found HERE on the Italia Slot forum.

cars.a.JPG
cars.b.JPG

racers.jpg

track1.jpg

pits.jpg
  • George Blaha likes this

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#2 racie35

racie35

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 08:31 PM

So very cool!
Bruce Thomas

#3 Dennis David

Dennis David

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,930 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 09:04 PM

From what I understand the owner of Slot.it was right in the thick of the action.

I think you'll find that the Grp C World Endurance event in April may be an even bigger event.

Dennis David

curb-line2.jpg

gph_sm.jpg

#4 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,759 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 09:10 PM

Super-impressive.

The Europeans sure do it big with the plastic cars.

Mike Swiss

IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990)
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder
17B West Ogden AveWestmont, IL 60559, ( 708) 203-8003
mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address) 
Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 5858 Chase Ave., Downers Grove, IL 60516
Make checks out to Chicagoland Woodworking, Inc.

#5 Dennis David

Dennis David

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,930 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 09:36 PM

In Spain they talk of races with 500 drivers over four days but this may include drivers competing in multiple events. I also read about racing on a 400ft+ track. We're talking eight-lane Ninco track.

I think we'll slowly see more metal chassis also if just in the larger scale with BRM finally coming out with metal chassis.

Plastic is not so bad and you'll see more 3D printed parts as well. I would love to see the use of more hybrid materials. Glass/carbon fibre.

Dennis David

curb-line2.jpg

gph_sm.jpg

#6 Dennis David

Dennis David

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,930 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 09:37 PM

Imagine after a race sitting down to a big pasta dinner with wine and your racing buddies.

Dennis David

curb-line2.jpg

gph_sm.jpg

#7 Half Fast

Half Fast

Keeper Of Odd Knowledge

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 09:41 PM

Yeah and picking up the many pieces of my plastic car after one high speed off.

Cheers,

Bill Botjer

Faster then, wiser now

#8 Dennis David

Dennis David

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,930 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 09:50 PM

When your car is plastic you might drive a little more careful than when driving a wing car but don't know as I have not seen them race in Europe so don't want to hazard a guess.

Plastic is just another material as far as I'm concerned, no better no worse.

Dennis David

curb-line2.jpg

gph_sm.jpg

#9 bbr

bbr

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 11:46 PM

"Model" slot cars are a big deal over there!

They run about half the speed of the stuff that we run over here on the commercial raceways. Even the heavy loaded-up magnet 1/32s are not that fast, the motors only turn about 25-30K RPM.

So when they crash only the wings fall off.

Still lots of fun!

Mike Low
Cry like a baby, drive like a girl, walk like a man.
Give me enough rope and I'll build a fast car... or hang myself?

#10 Mbloes

Mbloes

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 12:27 PM

Looks fantastic but I dunno - I just can't get over the hump of racing on plastic track.

Mike Bloes

#11 torquemutant

torquemutant

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Subscriber
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 10:01 AM

You owe it to yourself to experience racing the 1:32 scale "plastic" slot cars.  Go to a club raceway that offers strong competition with the finer manufactured cars like NSR, Slot.it, Racer and Scaleauto just to name a few.  Speed is certainly a thrill but it does not have to be the only thrill you get from racing. Things like how your car handles around the course and rates of acceleration and braking are all skills learned from whatever class of car you are driving and 1:32 scale plastic slots are very different than any other slot car class.  Add that the plastic scale slot cars are, in large, designed to look like actual historical race cars and you have a wonderfully new aspect to your hobby; collecting the race cars that you grew up with and admired your entire life… in very fine detail.  Excluding discussion about motors, there are just as many tuning characteristics to be learned with these cars as are with your cars that you run now; you will have a whole new bag of skills to learn and apply to all of your racing. So if I have just a little of your attention, let me give you the most guarded secret in all this debate on plastic vs metal slot race car racing…1:32 plastic slot cars is RACING ON A BUDGET.  Yep,  it is a twenty four karat gold fact.  First you purchase your new slot car for…let’s say $60 more or less.  Depending where you race and what type of tires they use you might have to buy a new pair of tires… another $5.  That is about it unless you factor in the cost of a bottle of super glue which is about all you need to do any repairs.  I own many of these cars and I have never had to buy more than one pair of tires for any one car…never replaced a body part because I had glued it back on too many times. Never replaced a motor or set of wheels or gears that I didn’t want to do for any reason other than “I wanted to”  Never painted or repainted a body.  In fact, the only thing I do is get my car out of my slot box and lube it, run it, race it, throw it back in my box and forget it until I want to run it again.  I have cars that have been raced in a hundred races for hours and hours of track time and I have never done anything more costly than buy that first set of tires.  BUDGET !

I started in slot cars back in the seventies and have run in most every class you can imagine… let me tell you this…I have never had as much enjoyment with my hobby than I do today, and the future looks fantastic.  But; Hey that’s just my way of seeing it.  

Charles Ray Neal, aka TorqueMutant

"Taking lives is something I definitely find offensive! But roughing up criminal terrorists a bit doesn't faze me at all!" - Superman

#12 Dennis David

Dennis David

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,930 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 11:39 AM

I race plastic cars on plastic and wood tracks. I'm not sure how much cheaper it is because your budget is your budget. What I do know is you often end up with more cars as you tend to collect them.

Dennis David

curb-line2.jpg

gph_sm.jpg

Electric Dreams Online Shop