#1 Jeff Fischl

Jeff Fischl

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 02:21 PM

Had a few questions:

1) When air brushing should compressor hold psi while i am spraying

2) I have a mini aztec that goes to over 60 psi but when I start spraying drops to 20 psi

3) Any recommendations on what type of compressor and or kit i should buy. I am starting out and are going to do lexan bodies for 1/24 slot cars and using faskolor paint

4) also what size airbrush needle size

thanks,

jeff

#2 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,319 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 03:28 PM

Jeff, I hope some of the following will help. It's not cast in concrete. Others should jump in & offer their experience too.

1. If the compressor you're using has an air tank & an air regulator, it will hold a constant psi while in use. If you're using a diaphragm compressor, it'll drop.

2. I wasn't familiar with this Aztek compressor, so I looked for it on the net. Max. psi is 40. This compressor is the diaphragm type without an air tank, that's why it drops in use. I would say it probably doesn't have enough psi for spraying acrylic paints.

3. I would recommend an oilless compressor with an air tank, an air regulator, & to use a moisture trap. I bought a pancake compressor sold by Rockwell, Sears, & others a few years ago. It's not real quiet, but supplies plenty of air for airbrushing. The air tank stores about 120psi.

4. Needle sizes will vary with the airbrush & what medium you're spraying. What are you using? Two of my airbrushes are Azteks. About 8-10 needle sizes are available for them. Some people don't like these brushes, but I do. While not a high-end brush, they work for me. I also have a Paasche with several interchangeable tips & an old Binks with a medium tip. I won't bother to discuss single-action & double-action airbrushes, only to say I wish I had learned to airbrush on a double action airbrush.

Bill Fernald

I intend to live forever!  So far, so good.  :laugh2:  :laugh2: 

#3 Wizard Of Iz

Wizard Of Iz

Slot Parrothead

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 09:03 PM

Had a few questions:

1) When air brushing should compressor hold psi while i am spraying

2) I have a mini aztec that goes to over 60 psi but when I start spraying drops to 20 psi

3) Any recommendations on what type of compressor and or kit i should buy. I am starting out and are going to do lexan bodies for 1/24 slot cars and using faskolor paint

4) also what size airbrush needle size

thanks,

jeff

1) My compressor pressure drops when I first let the paint flow but it holds the same pressure while I'm painting.

2)  What you're talking about is consistent with what mine does

3)  If I was a professional (Noose, Bill Pinch, etc.) I'd make an investment in a durable, high-end compressor.  But for most slot car racers, Harbor Freight has a pretty durable compressor with a moisture trap for around $70.  I've used one of their 1/8 hp (58psi) models for about 10 years.  Maybe longer.  The last time I checked their site, they were offering 1/6 hp and 1/5 hp models at about the same price.   

Thin the Faskolor (Createx) paint to about the consistency of skim milk and use light coats.  The Faskolor Thinner is pretty good.  I've used 409 with good results -- don't use too much though.

4)  I have a Paasche VL dual action air brush and a gravity feed brush from Bear Air that I switch between.

Good Luck!

Rollin Isbell

#4 Jairus

Jairus

Body Painter Extraordinaire

• Subscriber
  • 10,174 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 09:14 PM

Jeff,

Most compressors today have a tank and a regulator.  These are very important.
My little compressor will hold enough air for a whole body session.  A little noisy, but you can toss a winter jacket over it and cut the sound down considerably. But it won't bother the neighbors like my old Sears 20 gallon unit.

I shoot at 25psi by the way.

IMG_2323-vi.jpg

As for connectors.  I have three airbrushes and they all use this quick fit connector.  It also makes cleaning a breeze.

IMG_2324-vi.jpg

The airbrush I use is a vintage Iwata HP Revolution gravity feed double action.

IMG_2325-vi.jpg

Iwata's are great because you can change the tips and needles quickly, but I have found a medium works best for painting slot cars.

I also have a  Badger 150 double action that I can use in a pinch.  Think that one has a worn out fine tip, but I love the feel of that old brush even tho the handle needs tape to keep it in place. (worn aluminum threads)
The only thing I don't like about the Badger is the Teflon seal.  It wears out causing blow back into the bowl.... plus the seal can fall off during cleaning  and go down the drain.  I have a bunch of extra seals in my parts box just in case because it's happened more times than I want to think about.

My third airbrush I got in 1975.  That one is a single action external mix Binks.  Nice brush for laying down paint, but not very good for details.  I have the finest tip Binks had at the time mounted up.  The rubber "O" ring seal necessitates using only enamels or water base paints.

I like brushes with all metal parts and lacquer thinner proof seals and parts.  Some Passche airbrushes use plastic handles which don't like lacquer thinners at all!

Hope this helps.

Jairus

Jairus H Watson - Artist
Need something painted, soldered, carved, or killed? - jairuswtsn@aol.com

www.slotcarsmag.com

www.jairuswatson.net
http://www.ratholecustoms.com
Check out some of the cool stuff on my Fotki!

#5 Volodymyr Davydenko

Volodymyr Davydenko

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 01:11 PM

Hi there! I am a beginner in airbrushing. I just bought my first airbrush paint kit with compressor store here in San-Jose. May I post my questions here too? Your help will be appreciated greatly

#6 Jairus

Jairus

Body Painter Extraordinaire

• Subscriber
  • 10,174 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 08:44 PM

Sure, why not?

Jairus H Watson - Artist
Need something painted, soldered, carved, or killed? - jairuswtsn@aol.com

www.slotcarsmag.com

www.jairuswatson.net
http://www.ratholecustoms.com
Check out some of the cool stuff on my Fotki!

#7 Noose

Noose

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 23,176 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 09:29 PM

Post away

Joe "Noose" Neumeister
Sometimes known as a serial despoiler of the clear purity of virgin Lexan bodies. Lexan is my canvas!
Noose Custom Painting - Since 1967
Chairman - IRRA® Body Committee - Roving IRRA® Tech Dude - "EVIL BUCKS Painter"
"Team Evil Bucks" Racer - 2016 Caribbean Retro Overall Champion
The only thing bad about Retro is admitting that you remember doing it originally.

Electric Dreams Online Shop