9 replies to this topic

#1 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,198 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 10:09 AM

So when you get snowed-in, you can't do much of anything except... MAKE A MOTOR! :)  This is a little project I've been wanting to do for a while, so I seized the opportunity. I have some "roughly 26D sized" Mabuchis with very nice arms and sooper-dooper ceramic magnets... like a solid 20% stronger than Arcos on my meter, think modern D magnets for strength comparison. I cracked one open and got busy, putting in a few hours last night, and finishing up this morning.

First things first. These motors are a little longer than your stock Mabuchi 26D, but shorter and skinnier. Rather than shorten the can/magnets and that whole mess, I figured to let the motor tell me what to do, instead of the other way around as things often go. Can got sanded, drilled for screws, the rear bushing flange sanded flush to the bushing, and the magnet-stop-dimples filled with solder, after which I gave it a nice coat of "Hammered Gold". The magnets got installed where I needed them to be and then a bit of epoxy to keep them from sliding around.

For the endbell, I used a Champion 26D endbell. It had to be taken down a little on the top and bottom flats, as well as both radius sides. Afterwards, I installed post sleeves ("protectors"), soldered the brush tubes to the hoods, and clearanced the inside for the new comutator.

Time to build an arm! I shortened the stock arm by four lams to get it under .500" long, pressed the shaft forward for "endbell drive", cut tail and comm, spacers and powder-coated it. After coming out of the oven, I installed a Tradeship comutator and started looking at patterns. I figured that with such strong magnets, I could either increase the airgap or just do a little hotter wind... so why fight it?... I went with a healthy #28. Trying out patterns, this arm wanted a "reverse wind", so that's how I went.

NubuchiArmSm_zps50ad7cd3.jpg

The arm balanced right up with no drama, so I could go right to final assembly. When you build the arm for the setup, it's a snap to get everything sitting nice.  All that was left to do was to wind a set of .015" springs and let her rip.

NubuchiSFSm_zpsca8739fc.jpg

NubuchiSRSm_zps19d8ac63.jpg

For a rough visual on the size comparison between this motor (I call it "NUBUCHI"   :D ) and a regular 26D:

NubuchiSizeComp3Sm_zps259e9c02.jpg

NubuchiSizeComp1Sm_zpseb2db021.jpg

The motor runs beautifully and has a really... er... "muscular" sound and feel while running. Current draw is right at around 1.5 amps no load at 6VDC, dropping to around 1 amp at 12VDC. It's a good sign when current draw drops at higher revs from what I've seen. It at least means that the springs are "in the ballpark" tension-wise, and that nothing ugly is going on in there. "NUBUCHI" is a "howling" success... and I do mean "howling"! :D

-john

• MarcusPHagen, boxerdog and Marty N like this
John Havlicek

#2 Marty N

Marty N

Race Leader

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 11:04 AM

Every time is snows, rains, floods... this happens.  :laugh2: Hope for foul weather.  :victory:

Martin Nissen

So hard a judge they hope never to meet as themselves.

#3 Half Fast

Half Fast

Keeper Of Odd Knowledge

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,615 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 12:00 PM

That ain't the only thing that happens! :shok:

Cheers,

Bill Botjer

Faster then, wiser now.

The most dangerous form of ignorance is not knowing that you don't know anything!

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity

#4 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 12:06 PM

Heh-heh...

Bill, the "thing" you reference doesn't happen for most of the geezers who play with slot cars...
  • Half Fast likes this

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#5 Marty N

Marty N

Race Leader

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 03:00 PM

Wow! Racy.

Martin Nissen

So hard a judge they hope never to meet as themselves.

#6 Tex

Tex

Grand Champion Poster

• 9,227 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 05:28 PM

I love the way that wire lays together. A well-wound arm is a thing of beauty.

Richard L. Hofer

Remember, two wrongs don't make a right... but three lefts do! Only you're a block over and a block behind.

#7 SlotStox#53

SlotStox#53

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,084 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 07:36 PM

Now that is cool! Had a feeling being snowed-in would lead to some seriously fine motor work from yourself.  :D :good:

Any plans for this howler?

• havlicek likes this

#8 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 11,198 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 11:30 AM

Thanks, Paul.  

Like almost all my motors (other than direct sales), it'll go on eBay. You can't get too attached to these things.   :)

-john

John Havlicek

#9 Mark Johnson

Mark Johnson

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 09:09 PM

Another beautiful pattern, John.

#10 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 11,198 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 08:03 AM

Thanks, Mark!  

This was a fun motor to do, and I especially like these types of "one-off" hybrids, even more so when they seem to work really well like this one.

-john

John Havlicek

Electric Dreams Online Shop