6 replies to this topic

#1 Paul Jurczyszyn

Paul Jurczyszyn

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 04:19 PM

On hardbodies can I use a Falcon motor instead of Parma? If so what gear ratio is used?

Parma Deathstars are becoming hard to find...

Also can an inline be used and not sidewinder?

Paul

Humble student of the master slotters

#2 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,315 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 06:06 PM

Will this just be a "run around the track" car or are you planning to race it with a group?  If the first, you can use anything you want for a motor. If the later, follow their rules. Gear ratios will vary with what motor you use, what track layout you run it on, & what's the track power.. For instance, the local hard body club I sometimes run at has a jalopy class using inline scratchbuilt chassis. The motors are all H&R Hawks (18K RPMs). The track is a Tunkel 4-lane mini-orange with, I think, 10 volts of power. We run 9T pinions & 31 or 33 T crown gears. Your gear ratio needs may vary from these. Give use more details of what you want to build. Since new Deathstars are near impossible to find, can you also assemble an unsealed 16D from parts? That would make sense to me.

Bill Fernald

I intend to live forever!  So far, so good.  :laugh2:  :laugh2: 

#3 slotcarone

slotcarone

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,935 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 07:36 PM

Why not just rebuild an old deathstar?

Mike Katz

Scratchbuilts forever!!

#4 Keith Tanaka

Keith Tanaka

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,948 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 07:52 PM

Paul, for our hardbody racing at Buena Park Raceway (MTT flat track) we use TSR D3 and Falcon 7 motors. These motors have replaced the use of the 36D which was originally used for

NASCAR racing on a hillclimb track at BPR many years ago. 

The gearing depends on the track and the length of the straightaways. We typically gear our hardbody cars 5 to 1 for the MTT flat track which has straights about 20-25 feet in length.

The cars weigh anywhere between 150 to 220 grams. We have several hardbody classes either inline, anglewinder or sidewinder motor with scratchbuilt chassis. 

Keith

Team Rolling Hills circa '66-'68

#5 Paul Jurczyszyn

Paul Jurczyszyn

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 08:09 PM

Great to hear I can use the tsr or eqvt. I don't no how to rewind motors so that's out.
Any rule to follow for scratch building the chassies?
Paul
Humble student of the master slotters

#6 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,315 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 09:02 PM

Paul, here's a Keith Tanaka hard body chassis build article with both photos & words. It should give you some tips for building your own. Show us your results here when you have it completed.

http://socald3.phanf...ageID=180570199

When Mike & I mentioned rebuilding a 16D motor (Deathstar or otherwise), it doesn't include rewinding the motor. After disassembly & cleaning everything,  you would replace the motor bushings if they're worn out, have the magnets rezapped, & realign the brush hoods if they need it. Then you would have the arm's comm recut. Now you would reassemble everything & install new motor brushes & brush springs. The final step before installing it in a car would be to break-in the motor by running it a few minutes on a power supply set on a low voltage.

Bill Fernald

I intend to live forever!  So far, so good.  :laugh2:  :laugh2: 

#7 rvec

rvec

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 09:57 AM

We run only hardbody classes. Since we cannot find Deathstars anymore we have switched to the ProSlot PS2002 Speed FX 16D balanced sealed motor. The ProSlots are marginally faster than the Deathstars but are a good substitute. They cost in the range of $16. Gearing depends on the track but like Keith, we are running 5 to 1 or 5.2 to 1.

For our GT1 class we are using the Falcon 7. These motors do not have the brakes that the 16Ds have but are pretty durable.

We run Deathstars or PS2002s in our scratch in line cars. For us, 5 to 1 works well

Rich Vecchio

Electric Dreams Online Shop