• Please log in to reply
340 replies to this topic

#26 Grammy Winner

Grammy Winner

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 02:42 AM

"Just keep this in mind: "character isn't determined by what you do when people are watching you but by what you do when they're not watching you"".

This is at the core of this issue. Everyone is good and kind when the lights are on, it is what we do when no one is watching; and how we treat people who we do not "need"that reveals our true character. Any reasonable human being from any society, anywhere and of any background would find cheating your friends dispicable and worthy of community ridicule. 

You don't have to be a local to understand broad human values.

I also consider two of the three my friends and I have no intention of unfriending them on FB. We all have the capacity to forgive, and we should do so without judgement... after punishment has been doled out!

• Cheater, Tim Neja, chaparrAL and 1 other like this
Jay Henry
???-2020
Requiescat in Pace

" First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Gandhi
Studio link

#27 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,539 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 08:04 AM

Guys,

I've deleted a couple of recent posts from this thread which came too close to denigrating others who have posted to this thread due to their stated opinions.

Please keep in mind that everyone here has the right to their own opinion, even if it is wrong or idiotic in your view.

And my opinion is that it is getting very close to the time to close down this thread.

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#28 racie35

racie35

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 08:36 AM

I fear this is just starting to simmer. It'll come to a boil soon.
Bruce Thomas

#29 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 25,539 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 08:53 AM

If this thread stays within the bounds of "civil discourse", it will be allowed to boil merrily away.

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#30 racie35

racie35

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 09:04 AM

No adding ingredients!!
Bruce Thomas

#31 The Number of

The Number of

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 09:36 AM

Yeah, it is already a recipe for disaster!
  • Bernie likes this
Bill Fulmer

The lack of any credible evidence is proof the conspiracy is working!

#32 redbackspyder

redbackspyder

Renegade, Mutineer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 12:39 PM

Someone ask the SCRRA if they want this thread locked... This was an important issue, and I believe it was stated that the racers involved were encouraged to voice their own opinions and to defend themselves if they so wished to do so, which would be impossible if the thread is locked...

This is an SCRRA issue, and I hope that every SCRRA racer posts how he feels about the situation, because just maybe if the air gets cleared there will be a sufficient way for things to move on... Otherwise, all the ill feelings about all of this will just simmer until it hits the raceway.

Racers may be willing to forgive and move on, but they will never forget.
  • MSwiss and Half Fast like this

Mill Conroy

AKA : TWO LAP CONROY, Anointed Trigger Monkey by Mike Swiss

Deal me life's toughest cards, without chance for hope nor fame, just let me play this one last hand, and I'll win this whole damn game.

Second Most Interesting Man in the World.

#33 NY Nick

NY Nick

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 12:50 PM

So lets get back to the Burger place.
  • MSwiss likes this
Nick Cerulli

#34 Samiam

Samiam

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 12:52 PM

Mill,

Yes, this particular incident is a SCRRA issue. But the ramifications go beyond BPR and even beyond our shores.

Since the JK Hawk Retro has spread to so many racing series, what happens at BPR doesn't stay at BPR. Everyone who runs these motors are looking at this with great interest. 

I'm glad that Bryan has been as transparent as possible with this. Now everyone can go forward and keep the Retro Racing phenom going in a positive direction.
  • Joe Mig, Half Fast and John Streisguth like this
Sam Levitch

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters, and if you do not have integrity, nothing else matters."
    Robert Mueller, special counsel (2013)

"... because people have got to know whether or not their president is a crook."
    Richard M .Nixon, Nov 17, 1973

"Fool me once, same on... shame on you. Fool me... you can't get fooled again."
    George W. Bush

#35 Jason Holmes

Jason Holmes

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 01:53 PM

I think we should go back to hand-out motors at all major races and be done with it. This would have never happened if we would have not changed this rule.

My 2 cents...

Jason

• Tim Neja, Dave Reed, usadar and 1 other like this

#36 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 25,614 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 02:10 PM

I think we should GO BACK to Hand Out Motors....this would have never happened

Maybe, maybe not.

At a previous hand-out race, one of the suspended racers tried to tech with a motor engraved with the same number as Bryan.

Side note, why didn't he engrave that motor with the number of a motor he had purchased? LOL.

Mike Swiss

Inventor of the Low CG guide flag 4/20/18
IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990), eight G7 main appearances
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder

17B West Ogden Ave., Westmont, IL 60559, (708) 203-8003, mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address)

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 692 Citadel Drive, Westmont, Illinois 60559

#37 Half Fast

Half Fast

Keeper Of Odd Knowledge

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,611 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 02:21 PM

At a previous handout race, one of the suspended racers tried to tech with a motor engraved with the same number as Bryan.

Hmmm-

If one of the now suspended racers was a serial cheater, maybe the punishment was far too light and maybe some public shaming is appropriate.

Food for thought!

Bill Botjer

Faster then, wiser now.

The most dangerous form of ignorance is not knowing that you don't know anything!

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity

#38 Jason Holmes

Jason Holmes

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 02:48 PM

Mike,

Bryan must be talking to you off the record because I have never heard of this happening.

Jason

#39 bbr

bbr

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 02:57 PM

The purpose of stock can motor racing is to provide a power unit that is nearly equal to all the racers.
In reality this is not happening.
Also in SCRRA racing, its is design to be all about the chassis... not motors nor aero (at least that's my understanding).

I will say this again,
Do whatever you want to the motor, but when you come to the tech table if your motor do not meet a specified performace spec,
you can't run it. Let's say 8000 rpm at the wheel at 6v for example. Can do it with hand held tach.
Mike Low
Cry like a baby, drive like a girl, walk like a man.
Give me enough rope and I'll build a fast car... or hang myself?

#40 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 25,614 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 02:59 PM

Bryan Must be talking to you off the record because I have never heard of this happening

While I don't think he took out an ad in the Buena Park Examiner, advertising it, I've definitely heard other racers refer to the previous incident, since the Checkpoint Cup.

If one of the now suspended racers was a serial cheater, Maybe the punishment was far too light and maybe some public shaming is appropriate.

Probably not necessary.

I'm guessing the offender already got fined by the S.S.M.C.*, for sloppy cheating.

*Secret Society of Motor Cheats

Mike Swiss

17B West Ogden Ave., Westmont, IL 60559, (708) 203-8003, mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address)

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 692 Citadel Drive, Westmont, Illinois 60559

#41 Gary Donahoe

Gary Donahoe

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 03:20 PM

I am not against hand-out motors but hand-out motors keep honest people honest. A devious cheater can counterfeit their favorite motor to look just like their hand-out. With the help of an accomplice this could be done in a very short period of time.

By the way I witnessed what Mike Swiss described in post #36 with my own two eyes.
  • MSwiss and kvanpelt like this

#42 racie35

racie35

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 03:45 PM

The suspension shoulda went down like this...

Ummm, we have an issue with your moto,r Speedy... we're gonna confiscate it and have it inspected closer. If it's been altered it's being destroyed and your suspension will stand till you post a bond to race again... after your three months. That money is going into a fund for others if you repeat.

Don't look at me funny, Speedy... you brought this on yourself... I like you but that's not making it right now.
  • olescratch likes this
Bruce Thomas

#43 Jason Holmes

Jason Holmes

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 03:46 PM

If this is all true, okay, my problem is in the time it has taken to make this happen. The fart don't smell anymore... Take care of it quick, not slow; seven weeks is a joke.

Jason
  • olescratch likes this

#44 kvanpelt

kvanpelt

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 03:47 PM

I am not against hand-out motors but hand-out motors keep honest people honest. A devious cheater can counterfeit their favorite motor to look just like their hand-out. With the help of an accomplice this could be done in a very short period of time.

Let's see... cellphone, picture, text buddy in the parking lot with engraver... probably less time than it would take the rest of us to break-in our motors.

Gary, I'd say you are correct!
  • olescratch likes this
Kevin VanPelt
?/?/56-6/12/23
Requiescat in Pace

#45 A. J. Hoyt

A. J. Hoyt

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 03:58 PM

There are easy ways to mark hand-out motors that cannot be seen without special equipment.

Only the tech inspector knows where to look and what he is looking for, a number coded from the engraved number.

He takes all tech'd cars and inspects all motors for the mark at the same time (two minutes duration).

Any "swapped ID" motors are found right there, perps are asked to leave and not come back.

No drama, no problem. If you don't know the code, don't even try to swap a hand-out motor.

Keeps honest people honest.

AJ

• Jason Holmes likes this

Sorry about the nerf. "Sorry? Sorry? There's no apologizing in slot car racing!" 

Besides, where would I even begin?   I should probably start with my wife ...

"I don't often get very many "fast laps" but I very often get many laps quickly." 

The only thing I know about slot cars is if I had a good time when I leave the building! I can count the times I didn't on one two three hands!

Former Home Track - Slot Car Speedway and Hobbies, Longmont, CO (now at Duffy's Raceway), Noteworthy for the 155' Hillclimb track featuring the THUNDER-DONUT - "Two men enter; one man leaves!"

#46 Noose

Noose

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 23,170 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 04:03 PM

Uh, doesn't the race director or raceway mark the tech sheet with the motor numbers bought at the time they are obtained? Otherwise the tech guy should get a sheet then from the counter on who bought what motors so something can be used as a cross reference.

No secret markings needed.

Joe "Noose" Neumeister
Sometimes known as a serial despoiler of the clear purity of virgin Lexan bodies. Lexan is my canvas!
Noose Custom Painting - Since 1967
Chairman - IRRA® Body Committee - Roving IRRA® Tech Dude - "EVIL BUCKS Painter"
"Team Evil Bucks" Racer - 2016 Caribbean Retro Overall Champion
The only thing bad about Retro is admitting that you remember doing it originally.

#47 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 25,614 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 04:22 PM

As I engrave the motors, I leave them in order so I can confirm I haven't made a mistake.

I'm skeptical anyone could duplicate my style of engraving, but just the same, I go ahead and take a series of pictures and leave them on my camera.

If you take a look at engraving, done with a Dremel "vibrator", in the viewfinder at 8X, I think you'll see why I'm 99.7% confident I would catch a racer engraving his own cheater motor.

IOW, it's not the same as forging your parents signature on your 4th grade report card. Lol

PS: A.J., your secret markings would only work if you keep pics of the motor, and then it wouldn't be necessary (to have additional "secret" ones).

Mike Swiss

#48 Noose

Noose

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 23,170 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 04:31 PM

I've done the markings too for the R4 and RetroPalooza and they can't be easily replicated. 

• Dave Reed likes this

Joe "Noose" Neumeister
Sometimes known as a serial despoiler of the clear purity of virgin Lexan bodies. Lexan is my canvas!
Noose Custom Painting - Since 1967
Chairman - IRRA® Body Committee - Roving IRRA® Tech Dude - "EVIL BUCKS Painter"
"Team Evil Bucks" Racer - 2016 Caribbean Retro Overall Champion
The only thing bad about Retro is admitting that you remember doing it originally.

#49 Pappy

Pappy

Grand Champion Poster

• 14,067 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 04:40 PM

Noose,

All you have to do is paint the motors like you do the bodies. No one can paint like you.  :)

• slotbaker, Dave Reed and usadar like this

Jim "Butch" Dunaway 

I don't always go the extra mile, but when I do it's because I missed my exit. 
All my life I've strived to keep from becoming a millionaire, so far I've succeeded. 
There are three kinds of people in the world, those that are good at math and those that aren't. 
No matter how big of a hammer you use, you can't pound common sense into stupid people, believe me, I've tried.

2000 Jackasses

#50 Jason Holmes

Jason Holmes

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 05:17 PM

You guys are talking about hand-outs which is great but this was not the case here. Shoot, I ran FB4 and FB5 motors here in this one. No special markings are needed just good records on what you did and a watchful eye in tech when they return.

Jason

Hand-outs at major races! :)

Make mine orange with flames ;)

Electric Dreams Online Shop