• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 McAllister

McAllister

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 04:56 PM

Since finding this great forum about a month or so ago, I've been inspired to start a new project to build a vintage 1/32 AC Cobra.

I built two other similar cars back in 2004-05, but once I started sifting and sorting through all my boxes full of spare parts, I realized all I really needed were a pair of proper rear wheels to make a passable build.

I found them on eBay, something called "Dalxo Special Racing Wheels 1/32 Scale Tires Cat #600 Slot Car Vintage 1960s." They cost a pretty penny, but I think they're the right ones for the tires I have.

m1.jpg

Dalxo special racing wheels, about 8mm x 11mm.

The picture below shows what I have assembled so far:

m2.jpg

These are the specs: Revell adjustable aluminum chassis, Pactra Lexan body, Russkit 23 motor (with back-ups), decals, Revell rubber front tires and aluminum wheels, yellow Humbrol paint. The rubber tires on the pink background will go on the car once the wheels come in the mail. The ugly wheels and tires shown on the chassis will not be used.

Here's a shot of the tires I'll be using along with the undercarriage of one of my completed cars:

m3.jpg

The rear rubber tires (especially the wide rear ones) are really hard to find!

I've kind of stuck with the 1/32 scale, since I couldn't afford the 1/24 cars when I was a kid, and the race tracks took up less room in the basement.

I don't have a proper workshop or a jig of any kind. My kitchen table is my workbench, and the cars are more or less built from spare parts, so I don't really know if they qualify as "scratchbuilt." Some of the builds I've seen in this forum are very professional-looking. Mine, not so much. I prefer to think of them as "rustic." But they're sturdy, they run well, and they're a lot of fun to build!

• hiline2 and miko like this
Jim Slater

#2 Tex

Tex

Grand Champion Poster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,801 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 05:51 PM

Looks good, Jim!

• McAllister likes this
Richard L. Hofer

Remember, two wrongs don't make a right... but three lefts do! Only you're a block over and a block behind.

#3 gluebomb

gluebomb

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 09:01 PM

Yes, those are great ! i've one of those tiny Pactra bodies sitting, may have to build it up after seeing yours.

If you're having trouble finding rears, try Paul Gauge - he does some really nice 1/32nd scale Monogram and Cox rears in urethane that would likely fit and his pricing is very reasonable.

• McAllister likes this
Simon Wing

#4 Hworth08

Hworth08

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,563 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 10:08 AM

Nice little car.

In the day this was called kit bashing. Not much of a name but that's what the magazines called them. Our track called them Kit Kars and the racing was pretty fun. No soldering allowed, everything had to bolt together, hard bodies required.

EJ's slot cars has several old parts and a nice line of Revell tires.

• McAllister likes this
Don Hollingsworth

#5 McAllister

McAllister

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 11:18 PM

Yes, those are great ! i've one of those tiny Pactra bodies sitting, may have to build it up after seeing yours.

If you're having trouble finding rears, try Paul Gauge - he does some really nice 1/32nd scale Monogram and Cox rears in urethane that would likely fit and his pricing is very reasonable.

Thanks Simon, I checked out his shop at http://stores.ebay.c...d=p4634.c0.m322

Looks like he's got a great selection of tires. I'll keep him in mind!

Jim Slater

#6 McAllister

McAllister

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 11:29 PM

Nice little car.

In the day this was called kit bashing. Not much of a name but that's what the magazines called them. Our track called them Kit Kars and the racing was pretty fun. No soldering allowed, everything had to bolt together, hard bodies required.

EJ's slot cars has several old parts and a nice line of Revell tires.

Thanks Don, for adding a new word to my vocabulary - kit bashing! It's actually defined as you described it in Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Kitbashing

I'll keep you posted on the progress of my little project.

Cheers!

Jim Slater

#7 hiline2

hiline2

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 03:57 PM

So the tires on pink card are what? from who?

Paul Bass

#8 McAllister

McAllister

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 04:43 PM

So the tires on pink card are what? from who?

Paul, I don't remember exactly where I got these tires from. But the closest thing I could find were the EJS#16 tires at http://www.ejshobbie... tires rims.htm

The zip lock bag the tires came in has "#16" written on it, so I think this could be the ticket.

Jim Slater

Electric Dreams Online Shop