• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

#1 Bryan Warmack

Bryan Warmack

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,602 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 01:41 AM

As most of the racers know, for quite some time now, the availability of preferred and legal .010" thick Retro Can-Am bodies has been a serious problem at BPR. Body thickness has never really been an issue at SCRRA races at Buena Park and I'm sure some a bit thinner were being used but as long as the bodies felt "thick enough" in tech they were OK and no one ever mentioned any problems with turn marshaling any unusually thin bodied cars.

Recently, however, it seems that many UNUSUALLY thin bodies have been showing up at BPR that are certainly difficult to marshal as well as having certain performance advantages as well. It seems a lot of racers have been using these bodies because that's the only thing available.

In view of the entire situation, and until the SCRRA determines that legal Can-Am bodies are readily available again, the SCRRA will allow the continued use of these thinner bodies with some restrictions. To negate any possible advantage of flex, weight, or lower CG, all Can-Am bodies must meet a minimum weight of 5.5 grams, as weighed in at tech by the SCRRA scale and must meet this minimum weight during the competition. All podium cars will also have their bodies reweighed. The minimum weight of 5.5 grams will include painted body, interior, spoiler, and any body details such as plastic injectors, etc. Bodies will be weighed without pins or body clips.

Any weight used to meet this minimum requirement must be sheet plastic and must be added to the body contours on the sides or top of the inside of the body. Any weight added that could be considered an advantage (too low) may be asked to be removed and retaped. We are trying to simply make these bodies a little thicker. At the monthly races, any body that is deemed too thin in tech will be weighed and the SCRRA will provide .010" thick UHMW tape in precut 3/4" wide strips in varying lengths to add to the sides or top until minimum weight is reached. This tape is also EXCELLENT body armor and will be available at the tech table. At the major races, as long as this body situation exists, ALL bodies will be weighed when brought to tech as part of the new SCRRA motor tech procedures with all cars brought to tech with their bodies off.

We'll try this next weekend at the monthly SCRRA race on the King track on the 28th and see how it works. As posted previously the SCRRA will also initiate a motor protest/teardown rule and the fee will be $30.

These things may need some fine tuning but we'll start here and see how things go...

• Howie Ursaner, usadar and George Blaha like this

#2 Tim Wilkins

Tim Wilkins

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 11:12 AM

Hi Bryan,

Just to clarify, are you looking more at the minimum weight of the bodies rather than achieving .010" thickness around both sides of the body?  I used Shoe Goo in the past to protect the most vulnerable areas of the body (wheel wells, etc.). It definitely adds weight but can be a little messy applying the Goo.

Regarding the motor protest/teardown rule, I don't think some of us newbies know what that is or have ever seen it in writing. Any elaboration would be helpful. Thanks.

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

#3 Mark Wampler

Mark Wampler

Grand Champion Poster

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,206 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 12:25 PM

Evidently TrueScale has scaled back their production or out of commission? When I was there, O/S bodies were available. When I asked to pull one down off the rack, I discovered how thin they were. I made the comment that there was no way these were legal. Then Jerry spoke up and said he uses "Hockey Tape". 

So this poses problems with regards to stability for turn marshals and fair playing field for handling characteristics. If its the matter of just weight, then of course the addition of material(s) would be placed at or near the bottom of the body which doesn't necessarily address the very thin upper portions which impact the duties of turn marshals. 

Having a minimum weight for bodies is a start in the right direction. Every racer should have a simple digital scale on their work bench. If you don't mind being seen at the local "head" shop, they have them. Pipe and cigar shops may have them, too.
Mark Wampler
?/?/1950-3/8/22
Requiescat in Pace

#4 Bryan Warmack

Bryan Warmack

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,602 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 12:33 PM

Just to clarify, are you looking more at the minimum weight of the bodies rather than achieving .010" thickness around both sides of the body?  I used Shoe Goo in the past to protect the most vulnerable areas of the body (wheel wells, etc.). It definitely adds weight but can be a little messy applying the Goo.

Regarding the motor protest/teardown rule, I don't think some of us newbies know what that is or have ever seen it in writing. Any elaboration would be helpful. Thanks.

Tim,

I'll post a simple explanation and some pics tonight.

#5 Half Fast

Half Fast

Keeper Of Odd Knowledge

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,611 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 01:07 PM

With all due respect, it seems to me that this does not address the thickness problem. I weighed my legal Can-Am bodies, they weigh about 7.5-7.7 grams.

So if these bodies had too thin sides, they would easily pass the weight test, but still have the problem that this rule is designed to address.

Am I missing something?

Cheers,
  • Joe Mig likes this

Bill Botjer

Faster then, wiser now.

The most dangerous form of ignorance is not knowing that you don't know anything!

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity

#6 redbackspyder

redbackspyder

Renegade, Mutineer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 01:17 PM

Bill,

I weighed a lot of my Can-Am bodies, that were painted by premier painters Eddie MacDonald and Jeff Bigelow, and they all fall between 6 to 7 grams...

Now, mine are TrueScale and O/S, and are easy to grab hold and marshal...  You must use a lot of body armor or paint to get a body weight up there, but no harm done...

This just seems an easier way to level the playing field...

Mill Conroy

AKA : TWO LAP CONROY, Anointed Trigger Monkey by Mike Swiss

Deal me life's toughest cards, without chance for hope nor fame, just let me play this one last hand, and I'll win this whole damn game.

Second Most Interesting Man in the World.

#7 JohnnySlotcar

JohnnySlotcar

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,026 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 01:20 PM

Ham-handed marshaling can take care of those thin sides in a hurry! LOL.
  • MSwiss likes this
John Austin

#8 Tim Wilkins

Tim Wilkins

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 01:53 PM

Evidently Truescale has scaled back their production or out of commission?

Hi Mark,

TrueScale is definitely in business. Victor makes a quality product and we should see plenty of Ti22 bodies very soon.

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

#9 Mark Wampler

Mark Wampler

Grand Champion Poster

• Member at Peace
  • 7,206 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 03:17 PM

Quality for sure. I have a couple of new TS bodies tucked away just for BP races.
Mark Wampler
?/?/1950-3/8/22
Requiescat in Pace

#10 TrueScale

TrueScale

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 07:56 PM

I took a vacation is all. I'm producing bodies.

I can guaranty all "Authentic" TrueScale Retro bodies pulled from .010" Lexan will meet the requirements.

Regards,

Victor
  • Joe Mig, Tim Neja, Matt Sheldon and 1 other like this
Victor Ferguson

TrueScale Products

#11 Tim Wilkins

Tim Wilkins

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 08:14 PM

You're the best, Victor. Thank you for your fine quality products.

#12 Tom Thumb Hobbies

Tom Thumb Hobbies

Posting Leader

• IRRA National Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,608 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 08:33 PM

No one pulls a body better than Victor.
  • Cheater, Tex, Noose and 2 others like this

Mike McMasters
TTlogo300.jpg

Former home of the ORIGINAL American blue King

#13 Tex

Tex

Grand Champion Poster

• 9,224 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 08:46 AM

I agree that TS bodies are very crisp but the two Parma 1043B Ti22s I just got are equally as good. I'd be hard-pressed to pick one over the other.

That having been said, I'm glad Victor was only on vacation as I'm sure I'll continue to utilize his services.
  • Noose likes this
Richard L. Hofer

Remember, two wrongs don't make a right... but three lefts do! Only you're a block over and a block behind.

#14 Bryan Warmack

Bryan Warmack

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,602 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 12:54 AM

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back here... and GREAT!! to hear of Victor's return, but until things kind of return to normal at BPR the SCRRA will continue with the original plan of allowing the thin bodies with the restrictions posted earlier.

So, back to the original post and some pics with explanations...

DSC05818.JPG

A SUPER thin body here, with interior, spoiler and body armor weighs in at 3.8 grams. When mounted on a car it is hard to pick up as there is almost nothing to grab and certainly turn marshalling is difficult.

DSC05822.JPG

Here is some of the .010" UHMW tape from McMaster-Carr. Two strips 3/4" wide by 3" long and (2) strips 1/2" wide.

DSC05819.JPG

3/4" wide strips applied to the inside of the sides.

DSC05820.JPG

1/2" wide strips applied to the inside of the body on the top next to the interior.

DSC05821.JPG

With a little added ballast the body is now comparable to the others at about 5.5 grams so the tape added a little over 1.5 grams, BUT also noticeably stiffened up the sides and top so the car can now be comfortably lifted and turn marshaled.

Racers can add their own tape as necessary on these thin bodies but any added tape to meet the restrictions must be applied as in these examples that will negate any advantage of low CG or body flex. If any thin body is found to be taped in a manner judged to be of any advantage it will be retaped. The SCRRA will provide this UHMW tape at the tech table and understands that this is just a temporary band-aid on a problem that hopefully will resolve itself when legal bodies start returning. We'll try it this weekend at the King track race at BPR and see how it works out. Bodies will be weighed complete with interiors and spoiler but without pins or body clips.

As far as the new protest/teardown rule that will also be in effect this weekend, the details are simple. $30 buys the teardown and inspection of any motor immediately after the racing is over. If the motor is found legal the racer who lost the motor pockets the $30. If the motor is found illegal the racer is disqualified and suspended from SCRRA racing for three months. The SCRRA will conduct any teardowns and all racers can watch. A motor claiming system has also been suggested but the SCRRA wants to keep it simple to start and will try this first.  Changes may be made to either of these new procedures but we'll start here and see what happens.  :)

• team burrito and Tim Neja like this

#15 Gator Bob

Gator Bob

Grand Champion Poster

• Banned
  • 13,391 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 08:33 AM

The minimum weight of 5.5 grams will include painted body, interior, spoiler, and any body details such as plastic injectors, etc.

Bryan,

Will pins or clips need to be removed before presenting the body in tech?
Posted Image
                            Bob Israelite

#16 Bryan Warmack

Bryan Warmack

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,602 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 04:37 PM

The bodies will be weighed without any pins or body clips. This solution is certainly not perfect but just a simple temporary compromise OKed by most of the racers until things hopefully get back to normal with the legal bodies.
  • Tim Neja likes this

#17 Gator Bob

Gator Bob

Grand Champion Poster

• Banned
  • 13,391 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 06:37 PM

Thanks for the reply, Bryan.

I asked because I didn't see it specified and figured it would come up.
Posted Image
                            Bob Israelite

#18 9lives

9lives

Mid-Pack Racer

• Partial Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 01:24 PM

Bryan,

John Hegedus here. 

I'm out of O/S Ti22 Can-Am bodies... Debby has none... PCH has none. 

What other bodies can I race without compromising performance? I may not be able to buy new O/S Ti22 before the Zimmerman race... apparently, there is a problem at O/S, TrueScale, or both.

Can you offer me an alternative plan? Please advise.
John Hegedus

#19 Steve Deiters

Steve Deiters

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,286 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 01:52 PM

Parma Ti22 bodies were widely used at the R4/8. I think it #1043B. That is the "narrow nose" version. Good crisp lines and thicknesses as usual with Parma bodies. Not sure if it on the "approved" list for your racing group or not.

You can double check at R4 results and the link the photos. There is a photo of every car that ran as well as a tech sheet.

#20 Noose

Noose

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 23,170 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 01:55 PM

Parma Ti22s are not allowed in SCRRA, Steve.

Joe "Noose" Neumeister
Sometimes known as a serial despoiler of the clear purity of virgin Lexan bodies. Lexan is my canvas!
Noose Custom Painting - Since 1967
Chairman - IRRA® Body Committee - Roving IRRA® Tech Dude - "EVIL BUCKS Painter"
"Team Evil Bucks" Racer - 2016 Caribbean Retro Overall Champion
The only thing bad about Retro is admitting that you remember doing it originally.

#21 Steve Deiters

Steve Deiters

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,286 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 02:55 PM

So much for that...

#22 A Reeder

A Reeder

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 03:00 PM

How about running a race without any Ti22s? Any other approved body would be allowed.
  • team burrito and Joe Mig like this
Allan Reeder

#23 Jason Holmes

Jason Holmes

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 03:17 PM

Thanks, Joe.

In some cases us-in and you-in don't mix. ;)

Wish we did on this one.

#24 usadar

usadar

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 12:07 AM

On the BPR King, Ti22 Kirby (TrueScale TSR24 & Outsight 415L) is very popular. Are they no longer available?

I remember I purchased OS 415L directly from Ron. I hope they will be widely available soon.

Electric Dreams have Kirby Ti22 Long, I think.

Is Parma interested in producing Kirby Ti22?

Haruki

Haruki Kan
Retro Tokyo
Retro Tokyo
Retro Tokyo on Facebook

Where do we go from here: chaos or community?

#25 Bryan Warmack

Bryan Warmack

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,602 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 12:42 PM

I hope everything will be readily available soon also!! As well as the thin bodies I'm sure most of the BPR racers know that we have even allowed a few of the wider and longer IRRA®  TI types to run during this little body shortage. :shok:

We'll see what happens by next week at the King track race on the 28th...

Electric Dreams Online Shop