Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,687 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 10:20 PM

The rear-engined cars take control.

• Ricky Vegas likes this

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#2 Ricky Vegas

Ricky Vegas

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 11:45 PM

Love these vintage racing films and voice-overs.

Indy 500 footage especially brings back some of the finest memories a young mesmerized racing fan could ask for.

At Valparaiso (Indiana) High School our teacher-by-weekday / amateur-racer-on-weekends used to order the films like Gregory posted and we would get to see them in small engine shop class.

It was a real treat as there was very little TV coverage of racing when I was in high school in the seventies.

After I got my license in 1978, my buddies and I would take off in the wee hours of the AM in my 1976 Camaro I bought with lawn mowing & snow shoveling $$$ I had literally saved up since I was 12 (and with that mammoth discipline loved and cared for it like I had received a Trans Am Series Camaro from Penske Racing!); we started an annual pilgrimage to the Indy 500 time trials.

In '78 we witnessed a special milepost at Indy.  Jim Hurtubise attempted to qualify with a front-engine Indy car and could not meet the minimum lap time required.  When the officials told him the car was essentially disqualified he blew a gasket and had a temper-tantrum in front of all of us sitting directly above the pits.  His front-engine race car was the last to lap The Brickyard.  

Talk about a deal.  $5 and we had access to all kinds of stuff; up close and personal.  It was a very different era before "security concerns " kicked in and gained momentum.

My dad met Rick Mears, and explained how he never saw a kid love racing like me.  Mears autographed a post card for my dad for me.  It had an address, so I wrote him, and he wrote a brief note back and sent another picture.

My dad also met Tom Sneva, and we became pen pals.  When he raced his first NASCAR race I wrote him asking about what that experience was like and he wrote back to me in detail.  He was real kind to me and always wrote me and sent pictures while I sent him letters.

Gordon Johncock also wrote me one letter when I was in high school and sent a picture as well.  It was so cool to me as he wrote about being an Indy Race Car Driver and having a lady hit his car in a parking lot at a grocery store.

I was on Cloud 9 when the car selected for the IROC series was the Camaro as well.  We used to go to US30 Drag Strip and Santa Fe Raceway a lot too, but those are stories for some other time.

Bz4McMHIMAAH2EA.jpg
  • Half Fast likes this
Richard Hill

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting."  - Steve McQueen

Electric Dreams Online Shop