8 replies to this topic

#1 The Number of

The Number of

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 12:27 PM

Another great weekend for Retro racing!

As usual the McMasters clan of Cindy, Jessica, Avery, Mike, and Kyle were gracious and kind hosts to one and all. Food was great and the program moved along at a good pace, even with almost 60 entries a day for the first two days.

The good pace was mainly due to the help of Eric Balicki who did a yeoman job in qualifying and race directing. With the help of Rick Starkey during qualifying, he was able to also take pics of each driver in Can-Am and was able to take most of the podium shots And was still able to make the Semi in F1, good job and thanks.

Special thanks to Tina who helped feed the troops and whoever supplied all the treats during the day; it was all too good.

Big thanks to Steve Koepp of Parma products for his demo on painting, painting thirty bodies and still getting the most mileage on the track during races! Was also good to see Mike MacDowel; of Parma International to stop by and show support for Retro racing.

Speaking of support, it was good to see Jerry Kulich of JK Products get this year's Mac Award for his support of Retro racing, too.

Sponsors - there were many and I might miss some but someone will fill in later: Noose, Parma, R-Geo, Boogie Bodies, CHR Cars, Krummy Cars, Slorblog. Thanks to all.

With the recent losses of racers it pointed up the social aspect of this event. It was a lot calmer overall than it has been in the past. Competition on the track was just as intense, but the volume of heated arguments was less and the banter was more in tune with the ribbing you would expect from friends.

Thanks to John Austin for bringing the Manta Ray slot box and car with award to the race. I was honored to win it, and Eric was also very honored to have won the box.

Can't say enough about the great tech work that noose always does handling that many cars and only having one contender for the Horses A** Award is remarkable!

Pics are up HERE.

Will post some captions later.
  • Noose, kvanpelt and Matt Sheldon like this
Bill Fulmer

The lack of any credible evidence is proof the conspiracy is working!

#2 Gary Adams

Gary Adams

Old 'N Slow

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 02:45 PM

In addition to all those mentioned in Bill's post, I would like to add a big thank you to Bill Fulmer for his herculean efforts documenting this event, as evidenced by the posting of the event pictures less than 24 hours after its completion.

Thank you for all you do, Bill!
  • Cheater, MSwiss, Mike Patterson and 2 others like this
Gary Adams
11/17/49-1/30/24
Requiescat in Pace

#3 Cap Henry

Cap Henry

CHR Cars

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,357 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 09:26 PM

The McMasters put on such an amazing event, and everyone that helps does a great job, Eric, Noose, Bill, and all the others are incredible volunteers.

The R4 is as much a race as it is a social gathering. It's often the time I catch up with friends I haven't seen since last year. This year was noted with the Ray and Jay missing, and I know their presence was missed. But seeing my second family of the Bruces, John Martin, Matt Sheldon, Bobby Robinson, Eric Gehrken, Noose, and Russ Upton are always a great time. I look forward to all of them as much as the race!

The competition only continues to improve, it's tougher and tougher to make it through the all-so-important Semis, and it's great seeing new faces in those races. Hats off to Steve Koepp, Eric Gehrken, Greg Fox, Dave Simerka, and the Ploskunaks for their great runs!

I have an absolutely incredible group of people and friends that help me at these races, without them I'd never get the results I do! Parma, Precision Slot Cars, Joe Dirt, and Fast Ones have always been a big part of my success, I can't thank them all enough for everything they do. David and Greg Krumnow are always great supporters, too! Thank you so much to everyone for all the texts and fb messages, it's so humbling!

I'm already looking forward to seeing everyone again at R4/9! It's never too early to start prepping LOL.
  • kvanpelt and TG Racing like this

#4 Krummy

Krummy

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 09:43 PM

As always, had a great time at the R4.

Thank you to the entire Tom Thumb staff. Cap Henry and Bud Bartos for the great cars I ran and for all the help Cap and Greg Krumnow gave me.

David Krumnow

#5 Noose

Noose

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,175 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 10:38 AM

I can't believe I have now attended another R4 for the eighth time! Each time the McMasters welcome us with open arms and continuously put on a great event. 

This one, however, for me was the best for me individually. It's tough to complete on a track you only race on once a year and with the level of competition at this event, you hope top first come away with your cars intact, do the best you can and learn as fast as you can. To finish as well as I did and make the Semis in Can-Am and F1 and then the Main in F1 was mind blowing for me.

Thanks to:

• all of the McMasters family and staff for a great weekend.  
  • all of the sponsors that continue to support Retro racing and especially this event. 
  • to the racers that made tech as efficient as it could be considering it did take longer than it has in the past. It didnt' matter though as there were very, very few racers that heard "no tech for you"
  • Edsel and Tony P for the great frames I used.
  • to all of the racers I have come to know and call friends!

A very special congratulations to Jerry Kulich for being the recipient of the 2015 MAC Award. He and his company truly deserve this prestigious honor for all he has done for Retro racing and supporting the IRRA® over the years. 

Of course to my Retro East buds, Matt, Chris, and Eric for coming and representing our area so well. 

• MSwiss, kvanpelt and Greg Krumnow like this

Joe "Noose" Neumeister
Sometimes known as a serial despoiler of the clear purity of virgin Lexan bodies. Lexan is my canvas!
Noose Custom Painting - Since 1967
Chairman - IRRA® Body Committee - Roving IRRA® Tech Dude - "EVIL BUCKS Painter"
"Team Evil Bucks" Racer - 2016 Caribbean Retro Overall Champion
The only thing bad about Retro is admitting that you remember doing it originally.

#6 Mike Patterson

Mike Patterson

Village Luddite

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,525 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 08:54 PM

I was able to attend this year's R4 for about six and a half hours on Saturday. Best time I've had in quite a while. It was great to see everybody again. Thank you, Mike and Cindy, for making such an event possible.

I would like to thank Bill Fulmer for letting me pit out of his box, allowing me to get some precious practice time instead of looking for some place to set up another pit box. Fortunately, the car more or less held together (luck), and required only the application of a pair of pliers to straighten a bent pin tube.

A big thank you to Mike Denny, for replacing my errant rear wheel during my Can Am race. And for having the good sense (or good luck) to marry the best darn baker in the known universe! I don't know what those brown things were Saturday, but they were AWESOME!

Another big thank you to Mike (again), joe and Steve, for the painted bodies. That was nice, and totally unexpected.

Overall, a wonderful time. I hope to see everybody again next year, if not sooner!

• Dave Reed likes this

I am not a doctor, but I played one as a child with the girl next door.

#7 Tom Thumb Hobbies

Tom Thumb Hobbies

Posting Leader

• IRRA National Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,608 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 10:51 PM

Your pit mate Mr. Fulmer was the "man behind the curtain" concerning the Noose painted body. I just handed it to you. It was a very cool gesture to thank you (as do I) for the over the top artwork you did this year.
  • Cheater likes this

Mike McMasters
TTlogo300.jpg

Former home of the ORIGINAL American blue King

#8 Earl

Earl

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 11:00 AM

thanks for the wonderful time at the race.to mike and my girl cindy for all ther hard work to all my slot car friends thanks for the good time !!!!

Earl Graybill

#9 FSK

FSK

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 12:03 PM

Wow, too many to thank.

Mike and Cindy for a great place to race.

Earl Graybill, Jason Echelbarger, John Martin, and Jim Nolen for all the help with the painting seminar. Thanks for helping me keep colors straight and drying paint for me.

Thanks to all for pre-signing up. That helped me to prepare all the bodies, saving time at the race. Thanks all for letting me paint for you.

To all the racers, wow, what a good group of guys.

Need to thank Bud Bartos for all the help and the great-handling chassis. I have know Bud for over 40 years. He helped me then and is still helping me today.

Greg Fox for always telling me what to run tire-wise. Have know him for close to 40 years.  

Rick, Ricky, Cap, and his crew. Those guys always making me smile.

Racers, good job of working together on the track, letting faster ones pass.

Still have not caught up on sleep missed. Thank all of you that helped me and everyone at this year's R4.

If you did not make it this year, please try to come next year. I will paint a body for you. You might get the colors you want. LOL.
  • Noose likes this

Steve Koepp

Electric Dreams Online Shop