• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 CoastalAngler1

CoastalAngler1

Outlaw Racer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 04:58 PM

I apologize in advance to any racers who I ran into on the track - now I will be focused on learning to navigate the lanes...look out!

Doc in Cocoa deserves all the credit for my JK LMP TQ speed at the MySeries race this weekend!  I'll happily buy him lunch or dinner because Terry said I can't give back such a wonderful gift.  Doc builds some really fast H6 motors!  

Thanks Matt Bowman for adjusting the car (thats an understatement) after this rookie driver took the early lead, and then an untimely bump into a fast gold car (totally my fault) the wall shot wide open pretzeled that thing.  DZ said, 'I dunno, she's pretty devastated' when he marveled at the twisted heap in his hand...I got back in it until with 30 seconds to go - oops, snapped an axle.  My buddy Casey ran my ROL_LMP (Jax built) until he snapped an axle.  I demo'd my GTP in the first heat, and heard it crying in the tech bin for 4 sitouts...repaired solo and finished the race with a backup controller.  I made main in NASCAR too.  Rough day, rough on cars, track owners should like that - time for some new chassis!  Congrats Dale you beat me again!

Broke all my cars, broke my good controller - and had more fun than anyone else there!   Note to self - learn how to drive better!!!    

Charlie McCullough

Charlie's Speed Shop

Kelly Racing Wanna Be

#2 Tex

Tex

Grand Champion Poster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,224 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 05:23 PM

WTG, Charlie! Feels good, don't it? Everyone should get to have their day in the sun at least one time... it's a special feeling... top o' the world! Here's hoping you'll have more to come!

Richard L. Hofer

Remember, two wrongs don't make a right... but three lefts do! Only you're a block over and a block behind.

#3 Matt Sheldon

Matt Sheldon

Duffy's HMI Executive

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,237 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 05:25 PM

LOL nothing like running out of friends on the way to the top. Congrats.

I am the absolute worst at looking ahead while I drive and need to get a handle on it. 

Matt Sheldon

#4 DOCinCanton

DOCinCanton

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,865 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 06:32 PM

Charlie, I got to say that your qualifying lap was totally awesome. I, as well as, several others were shocked; like drop the jaw time; when you did that 3.519 sec (I believe).

And thank you for the credit; I should have kept that motor for myself.

However, your car handled great also. You don't get that TQ record by motor alone and you drove it! CONGRATS buddy.

Doc Dougherty
GRRR 2016 GT Coupe and Stock Car Champion and Overall Champion
My Series Spring 2016 4" NASCAR, JK LMP State Champion, and Endurance State Champion
My Series 2015 4" NASCAR, GTP and Endurance State Champion
​GRRR 2015 4 1/2" and F1 Champion
​GRRR 2013 & 2014 Evil Flexi Champion
1968 Cleveland Car Model Series race winner - Tom Thumb Raceway, North Royalton, Ohio
​1968 Hinsdale ARCO Amateur runner-up
1967 Parma Raceway Indy 500 Champion

#5 Wizard Of Iz

Wizard Of Iz

Slot Parrothead

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 06:55 PM

Charlie ..... you have come a long, long way in a very short time.

Congratulations!

• CoastalAngler1 likes this

Rollin Isbell

#6 DOCinCanton

DOCinCanton

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,865 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 07:47 PM

Charlie, what lane did you pick to start the A-main?

Doc Dougherty
My Series Spring 2016 4" NASCAR, JK LMP State Champion, and Endurance State Champion
1968 Cleveland Car Model Series race winner - Tom Thumb Raceway, North Royalton, Ohio

#7 CoastalAngler1

CoastalAngler1

Outlaw Racer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 07:53 PM

Yellow.  crashed after only 5 or so laps i think, I drove so stupid trying to pass when i did.  came back in maybe 2nd or 3rd heat, didn't matter my attitude was positive and i was trying to learn from Matt how to repair and survive.  I thought you had to cross the finish line to avoid dnf, lol.  

DZ gave me some chassis tips for the next one  :ph34r: That Nathan is gonna grow popeye forearms  :blink:

Charlie McCullough

Charlie's Speed Shop

Kelly Racing Wanna Be

#8 DOCinCanton

DOCinCanton

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,865 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 08:43 PM

If I have lane choice, I am going with white or orange. White because my tire OD is as big as they will ever be at the start of the race. Larger OD = better straight line speed. However, white is one lane away from being a gutter lane. If there is a lot of crashing due to its the first heat, a lot of cars end up in red and white in the dead man.  Orange is a center lane and is a good safe way to start the race. Next heat you move to white.

Another point that is important to me: Running white, then red, then green gets the slower three lanes out of the way (at least on most tracks red, white and green are the slowest lanes, but no always). Then you are moving onto the best 5 lanes. So if you are in contention after running white, red, green, you are in really good shape.

• macman and CoastalAngler1 like this
Doc Dougherty

#9 Gator Bob

Gator Bob

Grand Champion Poster

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,391 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 01:31 AM

WTG Charlie !!!    :good:  :clapping:

You going out to BPR

Posted Image
                            Bob Israelite

#10 bluecars

bluecars

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 09:12 AM

:clapping: Way to go Charlie!!! Are you still using the driving practice method? :clapping:

Robert "Red" Valantine :diablo: 

#11 Fast Freddie

Fast Freddie

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 09:42 AM

Congrats on your first TQ, hopefully the first of many. One thing I should warn you about from someone who has had his share of TQs. That's the "TQ Jinx". Some say it doesn't exist while others swear it does you can be the judge for yourself. I believe it exists in the mind most of the time but it's always there trying to keep you from winning and sometimes even finishing a race. I offer in evidence your first TQ raceday. Good luck!
Fred Younkin

#12 CoastalAngler1

CoastalAngler1

Outlaw Racer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 01:40 PM

Hey Fast Freddie - TQ Jinx - I resemble that!  Without a second TQ, I understand what you mean.  Gonna go look at statistical on past races...

Driving Practice Method - I've got several thousand practice race laps at P-1, and about the same practice laps with 'the method' - Red, do you do this each time at the track - I need to develop a system with good practice + test + tune habits.

Look out BPR - see you next Thursday!

Charlie McCullough

Charlie's Speed Shop

Kelly Racing Wanna Be

#13 bluecars

bluecars

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 03:37 PM

I do recommend this if time allows. Especially at a new track. Eventually at your own tracks you'll know what your cars are supposed to do and you can worry less about your driving and more about tuning your car.  Get a rhythm, GETTER DONE. GOOD LUCK!!!!!

Robert "Red" Valantine :diablo: 

#14 CoastalAngler1

CoastalAngler1

Outlaw Racer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 08:31 PM

Hey Red - I like that part about tracks (plural).  I won't forget 'the method' next week in Cali.  I hope the traffic doesn't ruin my practice time.

Doc, I am listening.  Lane choice is coming along, Marcus has been a great help teaching me this and I hate ending in red or white.  That saying you told me, 'over a hundred things' to make a slotcar go fast...my ears are always open to new ideas.  Thanks Doc, you are a big help too. (especially that motor)

If only we had audio for that moment when the timer struck 3.51...priceless.  Everyone gasped in unison, I was quaking.  This feels good.  Bill Pinch told me now that I got a TQ out of the way, it's just like 1:1, a win will follow.  I said it might be a long time with the speed Dennis and DZ showed Saturday - they blew by me in NASCAR and I had the trigger buried.  Couldn't even keep up for a couple laps and then they would be running me down again hahahaha.

Charlie McCullough

Charlie's Speed Shop

Kelly Racing Wanna Be

Electric Dreams Online Shop