6 replies to this topic

#1 RedBaron

RedBaron

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 01:08 PM

Hi all,

Newbie here, first post. Not sure this is the correct forum to ask this question, but here goes.

I have about a 60' 1/43 layout now. Planing on moving up to 1/32, 1/24. There is a Revell full track setup on eBay now, item number 291414359763.

Looks as if this would be track to start with. Any opinions about this Revell track, or should I look toward something else? The seller states in can run both 1/32 and 1/24; can this track handle both scales? Now I "know" some of you guys might think this is a good buy and outbid me :dash2: ...

But hey, that's the way things go! Interested in any opinions.

Thanks,

Bill

Bill Butcher

#2 Samiam

Samiam

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,092 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 01:24 PM

I have set up my collection of Revell track many times. It was OK for my vintage 1/32 cars and some of the narrower 1/24 cars. The slot is not deep though.

If you plan on running any modern 3.25" wide cars I would go with a 1/24 Carrera set up. You can find them on Craigslist, quite often with extra cars.

Sam Levitch

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters, and if you do not have integrity, nothing else matters."
Robert Mueller,special council.(2013)

#3 Mattb

Mattb

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 990 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 02:52 PM

Carrera is the best and allows you to run 1/24 cars with the additional aprons. Lane spacing is like a commercial track. You can buy track to build as many as 8 lanes. It is expensive, but the best deals seem to be ebay auctions of dismantled track layouts. If you buy carrera you will never look back.

1960's Revell/Riggen (the same track molds) is fine track and actually it has a deep enough slot for cars made today and the classic cars from the 60's, as does Monogram from the 60's. Lane spacing is 3 1/2 and curves come in 14 or 21 inch radi which allow 4 lanes. Revell also has a 2 lane banked turn setup, but only for 2 lanes. If clean and properly set up this old track works fine and for the last 10 years, I have used Monogram track with inner and outer aprons. I do not use any of the supplied terminals or controllers, but custom wire and use Professor Motor controllers. Deals turn up on this track from time to time, I know because I have sold a bunch of it! Trick is to be able to clean it and get good electrical comnnections on this 50 year old stuff.

The only other older options are Strombecker and Eldon, but they do have a shallow slot and are not the first choice of very many people. Not that they are bad, but there is better available. Probably half the guys on these forums that had race sets back in the 60's had one of these two brands.

Of the 1/32 scale tracks available today, I would pick Artin as the best, but the main seller of that track has finally sold out of the tracks sets she has been selling cheaply for the last year or two. It is a heavy duty track, deep slot, lane spacing is 3 1/4, pieces were available to do 6-8 lanes. This is still found on ebay and thru these forums.

Of all the other current tracks, the only brand know I anything about is Scalextric Sportrack. It would be my choice of "the rest". It has a deep slot, and many variety of pieces are available. The lane spacing on all these "other" 1/32 sets is only 3 inches which is really too close for the size of a lot of cars.

I sure there will be more info posted about newer tracks by guys familiar with them. If I wasn't a 50 year slot car veteran, I would stick to a newer track.
Matt Bishop

Vintage Cox Slot Cars

#4 garyvmachines

garyvmachines

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 05:17 PM

Hay Bill

Don't count out a wood track !!!You can run any scale car you wish .... You Don't have to be a Master wood worker !!

And lot's of guys on this Blog can offer advice & help , With plenty of pic's..........

If you are going to invest the time !! & Money in a track I Would louse the clack, clack , of plastic track... Just MY $0.02.....

GAV

PS welcome to the blog :good: 

• TG Racing likes this
Gary Vogeler

#5 RedBaron

RedBaron

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 05:39 PM

Gary and all, thanks of your advice.

Gary, nice to see your "Rat Fink ! I do Kart racing, on the back of my black helmet, I have a 5" "Rat Fink" decal. Funny, no one much younger than 60 knows about "Rat Fink"!

Bill Butcher

#6 gluebomb

gluebomb

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 11:01 PM

Hey Bill,

The Revell track is great but for 1/24th you really need to add the aprons for the outside of curves at least; mine is pretty beat up but very few connection issues and it's deep enough that you don't get too much noise from guides scraping. Best thing about it is connection between sections - the stuff is very flat at the joints. 

As mentioned the Riggen track you can still get is compatible as it's from the same tooling - not sure if it's the same high quality though ?

S.

Simon Wing

#7 LolaGT

LolaGT

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Subscriber
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 01:45 AM

I had many of the same thoughts as the OP about Revell track.

Wife has four older brothers who gifted me awhile back with a big box of Revell track. Just track, no controllers, power supply or cars. At least the price was right.

I'm thinking about putting up a couple of 4x8 or 5x9 plywood sheets in the basement to play with *temporarily* till I come up with a track plan everybody likes.

We would be racing 1/32 scale hardbodies like Revells and brass Monograms, and maybe some Fly cars too.

I would love a new routed track, but want to be sure we both like the design first. I'm hoping SWMBO likes this style of racing as much as I do.

This is my first 'home track' since Tjet days, so I have some total noob questions. I'm sorry about that.

Instead of searching Ebay for spendy track aprons, would making them out of plywood work?

I would like to use Parma style controllers like a commercial track uses instead of the stock ones. Are there any problems/issues with wiring the track for them?

Is there anything I need to look out for with this track, like places where the track breaks easily? Would it work better longterm to pull the rails out of the track to clean it,

or just copper tape over them? I would still like to dissassemble the track to try new courses if possible.

Thank you,

Ken

Ken Lyons

Electric Dreams Online Shop