11 replies to this topic

#1 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,788 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 08:23 AM

Just heard that noted NC slot racer Dave Stox passed away this morning from complications of colon cancer. Dave was an accomplished racer in the North Carolina area whose display name here at Slotblog is SST. Dave very rarely posted here (he registered in 2008 but only made four posts in almost seven years...) but if you were in a race with him, more often than not he would be ahead of you.

stox.jpg

Our condolences to the entire Stox family.

RIP, Dave.

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#2 mcrracer

mcrracer

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 08:43 AM

RIP, Dave.

Raced with him several times over the years. He and his family really made you feel welcome. They helped level out one of my tracks before a big race event weekend.

My condolences to the family.
Marlon Reed

#3 Guy Spaulding

Guy Spaulding

Unintentional Instigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,885 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 09:24 AM

Dave was a great racer, teacher, and friend. 

Prayers and condolences for the Stox family.

RIP, Dave.

173548759346958.1480.1688182746.png
Promote Your Page Too">Check us out on FaceBook

#4 MG Brown

MG Brown

Grand Champion Poster

• Administrator
  • 5,510 posts
  • Location:The Land of Lincoln, where governors make the license plates.

Posted 01 April 2015 - 09:27 AM

I didn't know Dave but it is a pity when ever we lose one of our racing "family" too young. Rest in peace.

"You might not think that's cricket, and it's not. It's motor racing." - Murray Walker

#5 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 7,645 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 12:27 PM

I never met Dave in person, but I got to know him online in the mid-'90s. As I recall, the Stox family had several very good slot car races. I still have one of Dave's arm straightening jigs for Chinese 16Ds. His SST products started showing up at the local raceway about ten years later.

RIP, Dave.

Bill Fernald

If a chicken coop has 4 doors, does that make it a sedan?

#6 PCH Parts Express

PCH Parts Express

Posting Leader

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,066 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 04:14 PM

RIP. You left us way too young.

Scott Salzberg
PCH Parts Express

#7 Mayberryman

Mayberryman

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 07:20 PM

It seems that every month or so we (I) lose a friend and fellow competitor. 

I have raced against Dave and have raced with and won with cars that he has loaned me when my own car would not act right. Dave was truly a wizard when it came to the old Chinese arm Parma Motors. He ate, drank, and talked about slot car racing to anybody who wanted to take a minute, hour or day to listen. 

My memories of Dave are vast and varied but I would like to share one with you. On a Friday before a division II Mid-Atlantic USRA race at FasTrax in Richmond, VA. Dave and his son came up and stayed in a camper in the parking lot. Well, to make a long story short the two of us spent the complete night supposedly testing cars but in reality just running the cars, swapping lies, and having more fun than any two 48 year olds should. Next morning bright and early at 8 AM the doors officially opened to the racers to practice before the race. 

Well, not having slept the night before I was taking bets on which of the two of us would fall asleep first. I believe that Dave fell asleep first at about 1 PM but believe me when I say that Dave talked in his sleep and the conversation he had was about slot cars.

Dave, rest in peace and Godspeed.

You and Jay keep practicing and I will see you again.
  • Guy Spaulding likes this
Spencer Wilkinson

#8 idare2bdul

idare2bdul

Grand Champion Poster

• 5,627 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 12:02 AM

I met Dave when I moved out here a couple years ago. I hadn't realized he was ill and was surprised to hear of his passing.

We are talking about organizing a tribute race for him.
The light at the end of the tunnel is almost always a train.
Mike Boemker

#9 SlowToyCars

SlowToyCars

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 08:24 AM

Mike,

If you guys do that, please let me know. 

I haven't gone to a race in a long time, but I'd show up for that one.

William
  • Cheater likes this
William Stox
There is no "Magic Bullet" It's one-hundred little items I do, each worth a thousandth of a second, that leave you wondering why you are a tenth of a second off the pace!

#10 Mayberryman

Mayberryman

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 12:12 PM

William, nice to hear from you.

I want to tell you that I have always thought your dad was one of the special people that I have met. I can remember racing with and against him, our long conversations on the phone and the family event I attended at his home. 

Hope you are doing well.

Spencer Wilkinson

#11 SlowToyCars

SlowToyCars

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 12:49 PM

For any of you wanting to come - April 4, 1 PM on - we are having a party in his honor. 

2841 Holly Springs Rd
Williamston, NC 27892

Anyone wanting to come to share your memories and to celebrate his life is welcome.
  • Cheater likes this
William Stox
There is no "Magic Bullet" It's one-hundred little items I do, each worth a thousandth of a second, that leave you wondering why you are a tenth of a second off the pace!

#12 odbuttgude

odbuttgude

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 06:11 PM

For everyone reading this, as I sit here crying, whenever anyone leaves you a message to call them back or asks you to stop by or whatever the meeting they're asking for, think twice before you say I can't talk right now or I'll get back to you later or whatever because you never know what it may be about and may not be able to take back not talking to them, as in my case now.

I am stunned by this news and sick to my stomach; this has just put a stronger meaning in my life that you just never know. I have a voicemail on my phone from David from Tuesday night, "Hey Mr. Clinton, just thought I'd call and chit chat a little bit. Give me a call back please when you get a chance".

I did not answer my phone at the time because I was at the bowling alley watching my son Mario bowl. It's very noisy in there so I would call him back later. Later never came and that was going to be today as I am off work and had plenty of time to talk which sometimes would be an hour or so. It will take me awhile to get over this, that's for sure.

We first met David at the Nats at Mark Greens track in PA with his boys and I believe a friend of theirs we were pitting together and that's when the friendship started.

Even though we lived in two different states and did not get to race together again we have always kept in contact calling each other and always talking about slot car racing and family. Dave helped my son and me out a lot at that Nats race, even loaning us motors. That's what's so great about this sport – 99% of the racers are always willing to help, and now I'm thinking of Jay Kisling also cause he rebuilt my 4-1/2 stock car at that race that I almost won and now both are gone.

I sure am going to miss our conversations, David. RIP. My Condolences to the family and we are very sorry for your loss. God bless.
  • Cheater likes this
Gary Clinton Sr.

Electric Dreams Online Shop