14 replies to this topic

#1 SlowBeas

SlowBeas

Troublesome De-slotter

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 02:42 PM

The illustration indicates the width of the trimming that should be performed, but not the length. Obviously, too much and the brush will wobble in the hood and fail to make proper contact.

Can someone with experience with these motors suggest a recommended length to cut away?

• George Blaha likes this
Jim Beasley
South Carolina, USA

"Assuming either the Left Wing or the Right Wing gained control of the country, it would probably fly around in circles."
- Pat Paulsen, 1968
"I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol."
- Steven Wright ca. 1983

#2 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,549 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 02:51 PM

Jim,

This is sort of a personal preference, but I'd suggest a quarter of the overall brush length or perhaps even a little less.

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#3 Ramcatlarry

Ramcatlarry

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,709 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 03:22 PM

AND do both edges have to be removed if only one is the problem? Removing one edge (leading or trailing) COULD constitute a timing advance alteration.

Larry D. Kelley, MA
retired raceway owner... (for now)
race directing around Chicago-land

USRA 2017 member #404
USSCA  member

Host 2006 ISRA/USA
Great Lakes Slot Car Club member
60+ year pin Racing rail/slot cars in America

#4 Noose

Noose

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 20,746 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 03:36 PM

If you mean is it OK to only remove material from one side in order to line the brush up better to the comm, then yes, it is.

Remember this is for Can-Am Plus class only. The only class in IRRA® where this motor is allowed. Has nothing to do with any other organization's rules.  Check your local authorities for any other ruling.

Joe "Noose" Neumeister
Sometimes known as a serial despoiler of the clear purity of virgin Lexan bodies. Lexan is my canvas!
Noose Custom Painting - Since 1967
Chairman - IRRA® Body Committee - Roving IRRA® Tech Dude - "EVIL BUCKS Painter"

"Team Evil Bucks" Racer - 2016 Caribbean Retro Overall Champion
The only thing bad about Retro is admitting that you remember doing it originally.

#5 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 17,425 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 03:55 PM

AND do both edges have to be removed if only one is the problem? Removing one edge (leading or trailing) COULD constitute a timing advance alteration.

Larry,

What you're talking about is not advancing the timing.

To truly advance the timing, you have to rotate the hoods in reference to the magnets, or vice versa.

When the Hawk 6 came out, I tried every variation, and trimming just one side didn't improve motor performance.

Mike Swiss

IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990)
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder (pointless era - LOL) 
17B West Ogden AveWestmont, IL 60559, ( 708) 203-8003
mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address) 
Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 5858 Chase Ave., Downers Grove, IL 60516
Make checks out to Chicagoland Woodworking, Inc.

#6 Fast Freddie

Fast Freddie

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 08:50 PM

If you remove material from both sides you are retarding the timing and reducing the overlap. That's why they run so cool less timing and less overlap.

If you remove material from one side and install it as the trailing edge you keep the timing and reduce the overlap. The motor will not run as cool because you kept all the timing but you will eliminate the push start. In this case the motor will run about 50% cooler.

I've done this on PS Contenders with 45 degrees of timing that had push start problems and it eliminated the problem. I only remove enough material to stop the push start, just make them equal.
  • Rick likes this
Fred Younkin

#7 idare2bdul

idare2bdul

Grand Champion Poster

• 5,629 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 12:05 AM

Timing the brushes worked with the bigger R/C motor brushes but I was never able to get a performance increase when I experimented with slot motors. I was using it on the drag strip where it is easier to verify a performance increase.
The light at the end of the tunnel is almost always a train.
Mike Boemker

#8 tonyp

tonyp

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 13,363 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 07:08 AM

Me, too.

"And if my thought-dreams could be seen they'd probably put my head in a guillotine. But it's alright, Ma, it's life, and life only." - Dylan

1965 "Evil Bucks Racer" Team
Revtech Team Trinity
Noose Painted Bodies
Retro East co-founder
American King track single lap world record holder & 40 minute total lap record
First IM Nationals Champion
Arco Champion
Car Model Magazine Series Amateur Champion
2016 ORS Anglewinder Constructors Championsh
ip

#9 Eddie Fleming

Eddie Fleming

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 04:03 PM

I thought the cut was more to stop the push start problem than it was for a performance improvement.

Eddie Fleming

#10 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 17,425 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 04:07 PM

It is.

Guys brought up cutting one side only and we were just pointing out it's a bad idea.

Mike Swiss

IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990)
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder (pointless era - LOL) 
17B West Ogden AveWestmont, IL 60559, ( 708) 203-8003
mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address) 
Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 5858 Chase Ave., Downers Grove, IL 60516
Make checks out to Chicagoland Woodworking, Inc.

#11 John C Martin

John C Martin

J.C Martin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 04:59 PM

My answer to the original guestion is to simply file down the brush (Big Foots) to the bottom of the slot on the spring end... then I cut a new slot with a X-Acto saw blade.

#12 Fast Freddie

Fast Freddie

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 11:31 AM

Sorry, Jim, I forgot to say I usually cut the first third of the brush. This keeps most of the uncut portion of the brush inside the hood.

I don't cut both sides of the brush because I believe it reduces the timing by allowing the arm stack to go deeper into the magnetic field before the comm segment makes contact with the brush, ergo lower timing. It also increases the pressure of the brush on the comm due to a smaller contact patch while reducing friction due to that same smaller contact patch. The spring can be adjusted to compensate for the increased pressure.

With lower timing, reduced spring pressure, and less friction these motors should run ice cold. But not quite as fast as one with all its timing.

Fred Younkin

#13 gotboostedvr6

gotboostedvr6

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 12:58 PM

Fred is correct.
Thomas Jefferson: "Paper is poverty. It is only the ghost of money, and not money itself."
-David Parrotta

#14 Mark Johnson

Mark Johnson

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 06:30 PM

If you keep the unmodified edge as the leading edge you will keep the timing and reduce shorting.

Mark

#15 Fast Freddie

Fast Freddie

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 01:14 PM

Thanks for the up lifting acknowledgements.  I do have a postscript though.  Last year I ran a totally stock (uncut stock brushes and stock springs) 4002FK in the Gaithersburg 1100 and it ran flawlessly.  I did, however, make sure that the brush hoods were perfectly aligned, using the brush wear method.  So as far as I can tell when things are aligned correctly there is no need for cut brushes, I have them if I need them.

But wait there's more.  I had a 4002FK that was running very rough and after inspection I noticed the arm was riding on the can bushing.  The arm wasn't centered.  So I took it apart and here's what I found;

-After removing the seal I noticed the end bell was retained by the can/end bell tangs and 4 screws.  I removed the screws and straightened the tangs. 

-The end bell bushing fell out as I pulled off the end bell which, by the way, wasn't glued to the can.

-Once I released the tangs holding the magnets a very gentle tap got the magnets to drop out.  The glue or what ever it is holding the magnets in resembles clear RTV.

This motor sounded like it would run very well so I'm going to, wait for it, blue print the motor as best I can and see how it turns out.  Wish me luck.

Fred Younkin

Electric Dreams Online Shop