#26 Gator Bob

Gator Bob

Grand Champion Poster

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,350 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 02:55 PM

Four Kings and an Engleman high ...

Gotta  :hi: your hat ... RE sure has a good hand to play from. 

All wid-in a hun-et miles a-each od-da. :) 

Posted Image
                            Bob Israelite

#27 redbackspyder

redbackspyder

Renegade, Mutineer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 03:13 PM

Noose, you made my point... While we would all like to think that a more challenging track would be what racers would like, the reality is , the easier the track the higher the turn out.... Just like I could never figure out wing racing, guys standing with punched controllers watching a monitor

Mill Conroy

AKA : TWO LAP CONROY, Anointed Trigger Monkey by Mike Swiss

Deal me life's toughest cards, without chance for hope nor fame, just let me play this one last hand, and I'll win this whole damn game.

Second Most Interesting Man in the World.

#28 Michael Jr.

Michael Jr.

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 03:28 PM

I have to agree. My racers like turns, and they like to stay in the slot. So a track that requires some breaking and turning that is smooth is the perfect track for slot racers I think.
Now my question is whether the difference between the Kings is enough to be a major factor or not. I'm sure you can tell a difference but is it a pronounces difference such that it would influence whether you race one or drive over and race the other.
Would you drive past a regular King if a Swoopy King was 10 miles further down the road. And no need to speculate, that's hypothetical. No Kings nearby to me right now.

Michael Cannon Jr

#29 James Grandi

James Grandi

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 04:36 PM

To answer that particular question with my own preference, I'd pass by a place with a swoopy king any day to go somewhere with a regular or drivers king. I'm more likely to show up and race on the king at Hudson Valley which is a smooth track, but is far from being a punchbowl. There is a fantastic gerding king at my local track, it's in great shape and is fast, but is so close to being a punchbowl that I would rather not race on it.

This is my perspective after having been in the hobby for about 14 years and having developed decent driving skills. Ask the same question to me as a brand new racer, or a very inexperienced racer, and my answer would be exactly opposite
James Grandi
obSCEne Chassis
HVR BB Fronts
Bodies by Weaver

"There is no such thing as a race you are destined to lose. You will always have a chance."

#30 JimF

JimF

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 05:00 PM

IMO........................

• We are talking degrees of difficulty here. A standard flatter King is not hard to drive. It is easier than the typical hillclimb.
  • Again IMO......if BPR still had their old 'drivers' King, the turn outs would be the same as they are now.
  • Yea, a new Gerding type (AKA BPR among others) is easier but fercryin'.......how easy does it need to be?
  • The swoopiest tracks tend to be more motor dependent and that is generally not good.
  • For the same race at the same time.....I'd drive right past the punchbowl to race on a flatter King....that's just me though.
  • It seems to me that catering a business toward the preferences of a really small minority (wing racers) is not productive.
  • If one really wants to attract the Div 2 Nats, it seems that a flatter King is preferable to a punchbowl.
  • If just going for a nice commercial raceway.........a 130-140' or so Kingleman is great and has a smaller footprint than a King.

• Tim Neja, Bob Chaney and boxerdog like this
Jim Fowler

#31 Gator Bob

Gator Bob

Grand Champion Poster

• Banned
  • 13,350 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 05:42 PM

The question was posted in 'General'.

1. For the Wing, Womp, Flexi, Box, FCR crowd - Swoopy :D
  2. For the Retro and Jail Door crowd - Not so swoopy  :)  
  3. For the Hardbody crowd ... it don't make no difference.    :laugh2:  Anyone see where that bumper went ? :crazy:

Retro bashing Wings, guys that 'like' motors, Womp oval guys bashing straight liners. Wing guys bashing Hardbody ... whatever.   :bad:

If it has a guide flag .... :good: Good buddy.

My guess is crowd #1 has more guide flags. :clapping:

IMO, Ideal raceway has a King, Oval, Hillclimb or Engleman, Flat track and a Drag Strip.  ...Good luck.

• parocket and garyvmachines like this
Posted Image
                            Bob Israelite

#32 Noose

Noose

Grand Champion Poster

• 21,288 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 06:17 PM

Jim bingo on that Kingleman!

Joe "Noose" Neumeister
Sometimes known as a serial despoiler of the clear purity of virgin Lexan bodies. Lexan is my canvas!
Noose Custom Painting - Since 1967
Chairman - IRRA® Body Committee - Roving IRRA® Tech Dude - "EVIL BUCKS Painter"

"Team Evil Bucks" Racer - 2016 Caribbean Retro Overall Champion
The only thing bad about Retro is admitting that you remember doing it originally.

#33 Larry Labounty

Larry Labounty

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 06:29 PM

To answer that particular question with my own preference, I'd pass by a place with a swoopy king any day to go somewhere with a regular or drivers king. I'm more likely to show up and race on the king at Hudson Valley which is a smooth track, but is far from being a punchbowl. There is a fantastic gerding king at my local track, it's in great shape and is fast, but is so close to being a punchbowl that I would rather not race on it.

This is my perspective after having been in the hobby for about 14 years and having developed decent driving skills. Ask the same question to me as a brand new racer, or a very inexperienced racer, and my answer would be exactly opposite

James I'm with you on .Someday I hope to make the R4 to get back on a American raceways King  !!!!

#34 Michael Jr.

Michael Jr.

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 07:57 PM

That back and forth was helpful (believe it or not). And actually the wrap up of n ideal track was encouraging.
I'm getting much closer to clarity. But keep on talking. I'm learning stuff and making plans

Michael Cannon Jr

#35 Michael Jr.

Michael Jr.

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 07:58 PM

I presently have an oval and a hillclimb. If all goes as planned there will be a drag in just a couple short weeks. Then the king end of summer or into the fall.
After that I'll be back to argue engleman vs flat

Michael Cannon Jr

#36 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 19,689 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 09:11 PM

How big is your place again?

Mike Swiss

IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990)
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder
17B West Ogden AveWestmont, IL 60559, ( 708) 203-8003
mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address) 
Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 5858 Chase Ave., Downers Grove, IL 60516
Make checks out to Chicagoland Woodworking, Inc.

#37 Michael Jr.

Michael Jr.

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 09:28 PM

The main area used to be a furniture store. I have the adjacent commercial space and if things go well, I plan to put the king in the third one up the street. The drag will be in the center.

Michael Cannon Jr

#38 Michael Jr.

Michael Jr.

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 09:32 PM

I would have to go back and look for square footage. I haven't mentioned it in so long.
The two tracks I have, observation stands and parts fill it up pretty good. Pit area is in the next store over (opens through on the inside so its all together)
  • fohoover likes this

Michael Cannon Jr

#39 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 19,689 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 09:53 PM

So how would you fit all these tracks?

Mike Swiss

IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990)
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder
17B West Ogden AveWestmont, IL 60559, ( 708) 203-8003
mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address) 
Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 5858 Chase Ave., Downers Grove, IL 60516
Make checks out to Chicagoland Woodworking, Inc.

#40 Michael Jr.

Michael Jr.

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 10:03 PM

Two are in place. Drag goes next door. King next to that. And then I move if I get to that point. That's going to be a year at least. Maybe more. Have to let the drag and a king settle in.

There's a great place nearby that was a carpet warehouse. I looked at it earlier but didn't need the space yet.

Michael Cannon Jr

#41 Michael Jr.

Michael Jr.

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 10:06 PM

I've got no problem moving when the time comes

Michael Cannon Jr

#42 Michael Jr.

Michael Jr.

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 10:08 PM

All of this presumes success of course. Without success and growth it's just a dream
  • Race O' Rama likes this

Michael Cannon Jr

#43 Michael Jr.

Michael Jr.

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 10:09 PM

But if folks support the track and it is successful I'll reinvest and keep growing

Michael Cannon Jr

#44 Tony A.

Tony A.

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 08:11 AM

Good luck with your venture but i would also include a small 6 lane track for true scale cars(eg: Carrere,Ninco,Scalextric,etc in 1/32 and Plafit,BRM,ScaleAuto,etc in 1/24) 

Tony Anderson

#45 Michael Jr.

Michael Jr.

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 09:54 AM

Good luck with your venture but i would also include a small 6 lane track for true scale cars(eg: Carrere,Ninco,Scalextric,etc in 1/32 and Plafit,BRM,ScaleAuto,etc in 1/24) 

What is small and what is too small? I also don't know how much of a racing group we have for that. I personally have a nice collection of those cars on display at the shop. I love the realistic look and it's what got me interested to start with. But, I'm not sure who else has them for racing.
Early on I had to use 1:24 for rentals. They took a beating as you would expect. For them off the track as quick as I could.

Michael Cannon Jr

#46 Tony A.

Tony A.

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 05:39 AM

Ninety to 120 feet is a good length for 1/32 cars and anything over that for the 1/24 cars.Where i race at Mobile Raceways we have a Blue King and 2 6 lane tracks and a drag strip.The two 6 lane tracks are flat,one with a lap length of 35 metres and the other 45 metres.

Tony Anderson

#47 Michael Jr.

Michael Jr.

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 09:50 AM

Ninety to 120 feet is a good length for 1/32 cars and anything over that for the 1/24 cars.Where i race at Mobile Raceways we have a Blue King and 2 6 lane tracks and a drag strip.The two 6 lane tracks are flat,one with a lap length of 35 metres and the other 45 metres.

How popular is the true scale racing there? Is it gaining, losing or holding its own? And do you see any different trends in seasonal racing with those car owners? i.e., Do they take summers off, etc?

Michael Cannon Jr

#48 Michael Jr.

Michael Jr.

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 09:50 AM

Tony, I'm guessing a King isn't popular with true scale whether it's pinched or not?

Michael Cannon Jr

#49 NSwanberg

NSwanberg

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 02:13 PM

I'd rather move a cemetery.

• Bob Chaney and garyvmachines like this
Remember the Steube bar!
SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL RACEWAY!!
"The denial of denial is the first sign of denial." Hank, from Corner Gas
Nelson Swanberg

Peace be with all of us and good racing for the rest of us.
Have controller. Will travel. Slot Car Heaven

#50 Tony A.

Tony A.

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 02:33 AM

Michael,the true scale racing has taken over flexi and wing racing at Mobile Raceways in the past couple of years since the Flat Black track was built for the Australian Model Car Nationals and it also coincides with the problems that have beset Parma. Wednesday nights racing consists of 2 1/32 classes and the JK F1/Indy cars,Thursday night is made up of Retro Holden FJ/FX sedans,Mini Z Plafit GT and the only flexi class is S16d LMP which is run on the king. Every second Friday night is 1/24 hard body racing using Plafit and Scale Auto chassis and the classes are Muscle Car Masters/Trans-Am,Modern GT3,Group A Touring Cars and Group 2-5 Sports cars.Saturday morning is Scalextric racing and 16d Utes which is run on the King.Drag racing is every Friday night and Retro racing is once a month of a Saturday night with the classes being Muscle Car Masters,Holden FX/FJ, Retro F1 and Retro Can/Am

Tony Anderson

Electric Dreams Online Shop