• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JimF

JimF

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 03:44 PM

... but very different from the X-1. I actually built this one before I built the X-1 and ran it once. But then the idea for the X-1, some stock car builds, and the Dragonslayer 7, all came along and this one sort of stalled for a bit. This was the first try at building a frame with a lot of twist flex and corner weighting. Now it has been tuned a little bit more.

• Handmade .032" nosepiece, cut-down Warmack guide tongue, Chicagoland bracket.
  • Tuning forks are .062" free in the tubes.
  • Main frame rails are two x .047"/side, pans are .047" with some 1/8" x .062" brass corners.
  • Original frame did not have the rear weight tabs and came in at 89 grams all up.
  • There is a bit of reinforcing yet to do in the bracket area and some other small details.
  • In testing the original frame, it was really fast through medium-long radius turns.
  • However, it would be cornering really fast and then just "let go" with little to no warning.
  • It was difficult to negotiate tighter turns and just plain felt too light.
  • In the initial test session, there was hardly anyplace to stick lead, so I put some on the nose.
  • This held the nose down better but the rear end still just snapped out with no warning.
  • This should have been no surprise to me but still... I tried it anyway.
  • Then, while at the track, I cobbled together some crude rear weight tabs out of 1/16" thick brass plate.
  • As it almost always is... the rear weight was much more effective than the nose weight.
  • So... I brought it home and did the rear weights up properly as shown here. Each of these are 3.8 grams.
  • All up weight is now 96 grams and this may have similar potential to the X-1.

My next Can-Am race is on a flat track but then I have four in a row on speedways. This one and the X-1 will get a lot of head to head testing in the next few months.

5ec6b287-1763-46d6-8f9d-348d7ba12252_zps

4d4e2b80-512d-4a5c-a4de-da94bec3952b_zps

• race301, S.O. Watt, miko and 4 others like this
Jim Fowler

#2 JerseyJohn

JerseyJohn

Jersey John

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,164 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 04:10 PM

Beautiful work, Jim... looks like it was built for BPR!!

John Chas Molnar

"Certified Newark Wise Guy since 1984" (retired)
"Certified Tony P Chassis God 2007.2023
" Owner / Sponsor, TEAM JERSEY-TEAM AUSTRALIA 

Jerseyjohnchassis.com

Logo copy.jpg

#3 Tom Eatherly

Tom Eatherly

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 05:52 PM

My same thinking, JJ. Looks real nice.
  • JerseyJohn likes this
Tom Eatherly

#4 JimF

JimF

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 09:29 PM

Thanks, guys.

As far as BPR, I think it would work there but I'd probably build the rear half somewhat differently. Also, this is fairly long and I think a shorter car would be better down there. The tracks that I mostly build for up here in NorCally are close to a second slower for the same lap length and the needs are just different. This basic design would be a good start though.
Jim Fowler

#5 Tom Eatherly

Tom Eatherly

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 11:05 PM

Jim,

Pretty much correct. They seem to be building a shorter wheelbase now for the King. Don't know about guide length though. Those shorter chassis get around the donut fast! And stick!

Tom Eatherly

Electric Dreams Online Shop