5 replies to this topic

#1 Dayble

Dayble

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 02:08 PM

AZGR%20logo%202014%20copy_zpslw0ndftz.jp

Once again Summer is coming and it's starting to get too hot to hold outdoor races in which case there's nothing better to do than open the garage and race all day!

I started setting up the tent at 5 and the boys started arriving promptly at 6 to watch the sun come up and help me finish the tent and set up the track.

We had the tent up in record time without many racing banners and lighting and then set the track up in the shorter than normal 3 section layout.

These things would prove to be valuable at the end of the day!

We had a bit of practice and started the day with our H&R Sportscar race. This is one of our favorite classes because of the wide range of model bodies that mount on the H&R and old Pro-Track chassis. Twelve racers lined up and off we went.

1%20%20HampR_zpsb8ygfmmd.jpg

Rick Schonfeld from Tucson AZ. led the way followed by Roger Gunning and Pete Vespender.

Next up was Lee's 1/24th Carrera IROC.

Carrera%20practice_zps7l4fkcxv.jpg

Lee Bumbalow from Payson AZ, there in the foreground provided the original four cars and I have been experimenting with them for a few years to make them work well on wood tracks at 10 > 12 volts. This time around I had put the 10 tooth pinions back on them to improve the braking on this short track. My next mod may be to replace the PlaFit Cheetah motors in with H&R Cobra motors in Devis3D printed motor pods. We'll see how the prototype compares...

These are heavy brutes but man did they make for close racing in an IROC format. Check this out!

2%20%20Carrera%20_zpst37pppi4.jpg

Why can't Trackmate sort? ... Oh well!

Rick won race #2 by just staying ahead of Dave Duddy (195+ to 195) and Roger Gunning came in third with 194. That was followed by a three way tie for 4th, all with 193 led by Pete over me and Slammin' Steve Hill.

That race did take a bit longer than planned due to a broken wire in the big connector that ties the TrackMate to the dead strip in the second heat. It

took a little trouble shooting to find out why Blue stopped counting but after the repairs we were able to restart the race.

Next up were the new JK flexi type 2014 Indycars.

This is a great product for home racing as well as at raceways. When we first tried them we weren't sure if they would work on smaller tracks and so we tried using the stock tires and "Cleaning" them with ScaleAuto Slot Grip Tire Cleaner and also silicoating them. (Yes, that is a new word and you may use it.) ;)

The good news is that the "Cleaner" is all you need and even on a short board track these things fly!

3%20%20IndyCar_zpsj7yrybqy.jpg

Pete Vespender beat me by about half a lap and Slammin' Steve was close behind.

Time for lunch....

Dave Deuble

AZGR One

I'd rather be racing!

#2 Dayble

Dayble

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 02:48 PM

Sidewinder Classics were the 4th race of the day. This class is were we pit mid 1960 through mid 1970 era LeMans/ CanAm type Slot-its against NSRs or any combination of plastic chassis and hard plastic body from any manufacturer. Rear tires must be Supertires silicones and motors may be orange Slot-it or NSR or Piranha 21k.

4%20%20Sidewinders_zpsemk5im3j.jpg

Roger has been killing it lately with a Slot-it McLaren. Rick was close behind with his hybrid Powerslot Lola T-298 body on a Slott-it HRS chassis. Slammin' Steve Hill was running a NSR Ford P-68 with a Slot-it orange motor.

Race 5 was Fly Classics.

The Fly's would fit the Sidewinder class if the bodies weren't so top heavy but they don't stand a chance there so we run them seperately. We allow the Spirit Ferrari 512M and the SRC Porsche 907s in this clas limited to stock body / chassis combo and H&R Hawk1 motor riding on Supertire silicones at the rear.

5%20Fly_zpstdoive91.jpg

Pete got win #2 of the day by running off (205) and leaving Roger to stay ahead of me on lap 200.

Rick Schonfeld sponsorded this race and awarded Pete an beautiful Fly 908 for the win.

Pete%20takes%20Fly%20race%20prize_zpsnex

Dave Deuble

AZGR One

I'd rather be racing!

#3 Dayble

Dayble

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 03:03 PM

We had pizza and snacks and Mark Laszlo rolled up in this nice Porsche that he is selling for a friend who lives elsewhere. He has to keep it charged up and running so he takes it out now and then to "excercise" it. He's not in a hurry to sell it.

For%20Sale_zpsp7jjpcyx.jpg

I guess a short explanation of the strange names on the screens... We now have three Daves. I'm Doobie (Dave Deuble). Duddy is Dave Duddy and Magneto is a new alias for Dave Farmer.

(In case anyone was wondering.)

Pete%20Plotting1%20_zpsk0w4dk0q.jpg

Here's Pete plotting his next conquest...

Race 6 was Slot-it Foams

Inline LMP/GroupC cars on ScaleAuto SC-2009 foam tires and no magnets.

6%20%20Slot-it%20Foams_zpswq3cwbya.jpg

Slammin' Steve Hill led Rick to the podium both with 213 and I followed with 212.

Great race!

Dave Deuble

AZGR One

I'd rather be racing!

#4 Dayble

Dayble

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 03:37 PM

Race 7 was BRM Porsche 917

This has been a great class but we'll see where it goes. BRM has released the aluminum chassis Ferrari 512M to run against these with suspension and a hotter motor.

They will be offering an aluminum chassis upgrade kit for the 917 but I'm not sure how many people who paid up to $169.00 for a 917 are going to react to having to spend ($ TBA) more to compete with the newer car... (Mine is in the paint booth as we speak.)

7%20%20917%20_zpsxbqgjkox.jpg

Rick ran off and left a three way battle behind him. Almost a four way fight!

Roger was 2nd, Pete got third and Mike Pyska got 4th using his chassis and my white Martini body. (I don't remember why he needed my body...)

Race 8

"Rick's NASCARs"

So called because Rick Schonfeld was intrigued by the Slot Car Corner (?) rules.

We had been running stock Scaley NASCARs on IndyGrip silicones with stock magnets and having a blast but here was a no mag class with only tires and motor limiting the Scaly body and chassis.

So we chose the orange end bell Slot-it motor and Supertires silicones on sidewinder or inline Scaley plastic.

One of the new things happening that may make this even more interesting is Changing Gearz series of 3D printed chassis which has grown to include not just Scalextrics but also SCX, and Carrera.

These chassis use Slot-it 3/32" spherical bushings in Slot-it or 3D sidewinder motor pods and in the adjustable front uprights. This is going to open up all kinds of body / liveries on a common platform and should make this a really cool class.

8%20%20Ricks%20NASCAR_zps7h0wc33w.jpg

These are top heavy dawgs and Dave Duddy pulled it off with, ironically, Rick's loaner. I managed to keep some paint on top for 2nd and Stan Ferris used my old original AZGR inline Scaly (pictured) to get the Bronze.

Dave Deuble

AZGR One

I'd rather be racing!

#5 Dayble

Dayble

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 04:06 PM

Race 9 was the old tried and true BRM 962s

We have been racing these for years and they are always fun. I finally had to resurface mine with new Tamiya BFGoodrich 67 decals but not before this race which is why the car in the photo has no decoration.

9%20BRM%20962_zpsyegkehfk.jpg

Rick led Slammin Steve and Super Teacher Stan Ferris to the podium while the rest of us tried to stay below 190 laps.

Race 10 (and 11)

We have been running 1/24th ScaleAuto cars for years and love them. This may be the most forgiving chassis there is on foam tires. Some of us have been building a higher level car using the Scaleauto black motor and sillicoating (There's my word again.) the foam tires and mounting the otherwise useless (@12v.) Carrera LMP bodies. I even went a little crazy (ier) and put a set of Fola's

Slotfabrik CNC wheels on mine. We have never raced them and since we had only six racers left now that it's getting dark, we decided to combine the LMP and GT races just like they do in real endurance racing.

So...

Rick and Steve and I had LMPs

Roger, Stan and James Armstrong had GTs...

In practice Steve's R8 was faster than my stretched out R10 by a few hundredths. Untill the sillicoating ( :} ) started peeling off!!!

This sucked because he had cleaned the tires before coating. Not sure what happened there but it left me fastest as Rick's Panoz Esperante (GT "Heavy" ? ) did not have the revs.

I was looking for a class win!

10%20%20ScaleAuto%20LMPGT_zpsv5yb8x3p.jp

HOWEVER...

Remember that slower class? Just like in real car racing I was on the outside of a slower car for two heats and couldn't get by and Rick drove home with this one too! 

That's racin'!

I got 2nd and Steve third in LMP

Roger led Stan and James in GT.

Dave Deuble

AZGR One

I'd rather be racing!

#6 Dayble

Dayble

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 04:23 PM

So here we are, pretty tired from 12 + hours of racing and discussing the day's events including the cool new metal box plates that Steve Hill and I had made (see below) when in comes my wife and say's she was just in a dust storm and light rain while shopping in Gilbert. And she says she thinks it's coming this way.

If you have ever lived in a desert you know that little thunderstorm cells can pop up out of nowhere. Or Gilbert. Which is about as close to nowhere as it gets. (Bwahaha!)

Sure enough the tarp starts blowing and it's emergency mode! I asked the guys to please at least help me get the track inside and the tarp off of the frame. I can do the rest by myself.

Well we got the track inside in time. Glad it was only the three sections and then we worked in blowing dust and some pelting rain to pull in the mainsail with no ripping of the fine Chinese fabric.

Things lightend up (not lightning!) and we took down the frame.

They loaded up and headed home and I took my time putting my 5,000 lbs. of stuff back in my 1 lbs. of space, working and enjoying a couple of cold ones until about 11:30.

We were missing Bob, Chris and the Brians but it was another good day of racing with the boys of AZGR.

AZGR%20Box%20Plate%2020152016%20copy_zps

Dave Deuble

AZGR One

I'd rather be racing!

Electric Dreams Online Shop