No replies to this topic

#1 rvec

rvec

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 08:59 AM

Although the Electron Raceway forum/sub forums are dedicated to, you guessed it, Electron Raceway, there is also another private track in Roseburg, Oregon dubbed Spare Time Raceway (STR). Since both tracks attract many of the same participants and I race at STR regularly. This sub forum, entitled STR Reports, will be used to summarize race results at STR. This particular thread will serve as an introduction to STR and include descriptions of the track and the race program.

The track was built during the mid-1990s by fellow slot head, Mike McKinney and was used as part of his commercial enterprise in Cottage Grove, Oregon. The shop achieved a modicum of success attracting 20+ racers on a regular basis. Unfortunately, poor economics associated with a typical commercial slot car enterprise took its toll. The last straw was the prospect of a significant increase in rent. The facility was closed and the track went into storage. In 2000, Mike sold the track to Roseburg enthusiast, Bob Hanna. The track was set up in Bobs detached garage and operated as a private club ever since.

Originally, the four lane track had lane lengths of about 71 feet. Bob modified the track in 2006 adding about 4 feet to both the main and pit straights. A hump was added in the pit straight. The track utilizes 4.5 inch lane spacing and is characterized by tight inner turns (most only eight inches in radius). The banked turn at the end of the main straight and the bridge add interest to the course. For ease of marshalling, drivers stations are positioned at each of the four corners of the track. It takes some time to get comfortable with the different perspectives afforded by the position of each drivers station. The track is one of the most challenging I have ever raced. Images of the old and new track configuration are shown below.

STR_Old.jpg

STR_New.jpg

STR_Hump.jpg

There are currently fourteen classes of cars. Two classes are run each week in a predefined rotation. All classes feature 1/24 or 1/25 plastic or resin models. I wont get into the specifics for chassis and motor combinations used in each class. Suffice it to say the most classes feature scratch build, inline chassis and sealed Deathstar or ProSlot 16D motors. Many classes feature .790 rear tires are O-ring fronts. I dont care for the look of these small wheeled classes, however, these have been raced in Oregon for as long as I have been a resident. When in Rome You know the rest. Over the past several years some scale wheeled classes have been added including True Scale GT1 (also raced at Electron). Examples of cars in each class are shown in the images below.

ONASCAR.jpg

OEcono.jpg

OVNascar.jpg

OProTrackNASCAR.jpg

OSportsCar.jpg

OTransAm.jpg

OCanAm.jpg

TSGT1.jpg

OJalopy.jpg

ONASTruck.jpg

ODirt.jpg

OVintageProTrack.jpg