• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Iamnowhere

Iamnowhere

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 07:47 AM

I am looking at building a 1/24 scale track at my house. I am looking for some details to add to it. I have found lots of Train Scenery that will be a nice addition. I am looking for some scale guard rails? I have found some pics on line of peoples home tracks with lots of detail. Any help would be appreciated.

Zach Davis

#2 Horsepower

Horsepower

**Numb Thumbs**

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 07:59 PM

HI Zack! It is quite possible to make your own guard rails from square rods of hobby wood and wire or string. You need patience but it's not hard. Also, there was a multi part article in Car Model magazine (in the 60's) that detailed building an entire track. It is a bit dated now (duh) but lots of the scenery and building techniques are still applicable. This series is available on cds, The name of the track escapes me but maybe another geezer will remember. Model train scenery books are great but sometimes for car racing you need to improvise. :)

Gary Stelter

My life fades, the vison dims. All that remains are memories... from The Road Warrior

#3 Horsepower

Horsepower

**Numb Thumbs**

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 08:39 PM

You can get a lot of good ideas here.

oldslotracer.com

Yes, I know this is an OLD posting. :o

Gary Stelter

My life fades, the vison dims. All that remains are memories... from The Road Warrior

#4 Samiam

Samiam

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 12:41 AM

There is a guy on ebay selling sections of guardrail.

Sam Levitch

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters, and if you do not have integrity, nothing else matters."
    Robert Mueller, special counsel (2013)

"... because people have got to know whether or not their president is a crook."
    Richard M .Nixon, Nov 17, 1973

"Fool me once, same on... shame on you. Fool me... you can't get fooled again."
    George W. Bush

#5 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,272 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 05:19 PM

You can get a lot of good ideas here.

oldslotracer.com

Yes, I know this is an OLD posting. :o

Gary, this may be an old thread, but oldslotracer.com (Luf, a Canadian fellow) is still a good source for anyone interested in building a routed wooden track. He sells a "how-to" video, a routing kit, & a few other tools. His website has photos of slot car tracks from all over the world that were built using his procedures. No, I don't have his video, but if I ever get the space for a home track, it will be one of my first purchases. Didn't you build a home track a few years ago?

Bill Fernald

I intend to live forever!  So far, so good.  :laugh2:  :laugh2: 

#6 Samiam

Samiam

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 05:54 PM

Found this

http://www.ebay.com/...KIAAOSw~1FUW8cU

Sam Levitch

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters, and if you do not have integrity, nothing else matters."
    Robert Mueller, special counsel (2013)

"... because people have got to know whether or not their president is a crook."
    Richard M .Nixon, Nov 17, 1973

"Fool me once, same on... shame on you. Fool me... you can't get fooled again."
    George W. Bush

#7 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 14,272 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 07:04 PM

At $5.50 per foot, plus S&H, it'd be pretty expensive to even do a small layout with this ARMCO. Then you'd have to form-fit it when doing curves & going around corners.

Bill Fernald

#8 Horsepower

Horsepower

**Numb Thumbs**

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 12:39 AM

Yeah, Bill. That was 14 years ago. I had the track complete with power, copper tape, and a couple of great runs on each lane and only the scenery missing. It was about 80 feet of track length. Then my father died, my son began to have heart problems and I started getting arthritic. Both my Dad and my son are now gone and I kind of lost ambition after that. The track is still sitting in my basement like a relic from better days, and I often go down to look at it and think maybe I can still finish it before I turn up my toes. Just need a brief period of health!

• LolaGT likes this
Gary Stelter

#9 Horsepower

Horsepower

**Numb Thumbs**

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 12:45 AM

Sam- Whoever came up with those guard rails is quite a craftsman!

Gary Stelter

#10 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 14,272 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 10:16 AM

The track is still sitting in my basement like a relic from better days, and I often go down to look at it and think maybe I can still finish it before I turn up my toes. Just need a brief period of health!

Gary, it's tough getting old(er). I know what you mean when you speak of arthritis. I've seen some decreased mobility myself. You ought to finish that track, however you want to visualize it as being finished. If it's still runable, you ought to take a few laps every few months too. Like riding a bike, once you learn how, you never forget. If I had the space, I'd have a home track, but I don't. There's always tomorrow. :)

Bill Fernald

Electric Dreams Online Shop