13 replies to this topic

#1 Gator Bob

Gator Bob

Grand Champion Poster

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,391 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 07:18 PM

The top 100 most expensive cars of all time as of Nov. 2014.

Will this bring out the author of 'the book' we are waiting for? :laugh2:

• garyvmachines likes this
Posted Image
                            Bob Israelite

#2 kuni123456

kuni123456

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 07:55 PM

I do not think that talking about real cars on a slot car blog is not realistic. I restore sport cars for a hobby and my sport car friends and slot car racers have very little in common. There are a few people who have interests in both, but they are a small minority. I once asked a friend who has a large collection of expensive cars if he also collected model cars. He looked at me and said that he had no interest in toys. I have friends who own cars that are on the 100 most expensive list and none of them race slot cars.

John K. Wakamatsu

#3 Gator Bob

Gator Bob

Grand Champion Poster

• Banned
  • 13,391 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 08:31 PM

John, are you writing a book, too?

Please, tell us more about your friends in LA that own some of these cars. 

Posted Image
                            Bob Israelite

#4 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 25,614 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 08:36 PM

I do not think that talking about real cars on a slot car blog is not realistic.

I'm not 100% sure what you mean with the double negatives in the above sentence, but we talk about 1/1 cars here, all the time.

Hence, the 1/1 Forum.

• Half Fast and Samiam like this

Mike Swiss

Inventor of the Low CG guide flag 4/20/18
IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990), eight G7 main appearances
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder

17B West Ogden Ave., Westmont, IL 60559, (708) 203-8003, mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address)

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 692 Citadel Drive, Westmont, Illinois 60559

#5 kuni123456

kuni123456

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 09:47 PM

I like slot cars and also like sports cars. I have asked sport car and classic car owners if they like model cars or slot cars and most of them only have interest in cars they can drive. I like to ask questions and get opinions from friends about their hobbies and many car owners have motorcycles, boats, and airplane as well as cars. I guess that if you can buy expensive cars you also have expensive hobbies.

I live near a Ferrari restoration shop and enjoy seeing many very expensive cars. I recently saw a 250 GTO Ferrari, 1958 250 Testa Rossa Ferrari, 750 Monza Ferrari, 250 SWB Ferrari, 250 Lusso Ferrari, 1958 250 GT Ferrari,  several Daytona Ferraris, serveral 246 Dino Ferraris, 275 GTS Ferrari, many newer Ferraris, 1953 Alfa Romeo 6C 3000 CM, 400 GT Lamborghini, Pegaso GT at this shop and other car undergoing complete restoration. I probably saw about thirty expensive sports cars and many of them cost more than one million dollars. The 250 GTO Ferrari is one of the most expensive cars even sold at auction and one crashed car was sold for $38 million at Pebble Beach last year.

I have a younger brother who lives in Palos Verdes and a number of his friends have great car collections. He sent me photos his friend's 300SL Mercedes Benz Gullwing, 507 BMW, 427 Competition Cobra, Daytona Ferrari convertible, and a 904 Porsche. He also had a friend who passed away last year that had a very nice Ferrari collection.

I know of several private car museums in the LA area that contain many sports cars and classic cars. I met a person who has many famous race cars from the 1960-1990. I wonder if I could post some photos of these cars on slot blog.

John K. Wakamatsu

#6 kuni123456

kuni123456

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 09:49 PM

I see many nice cars at the Palos Verdes Seniors Car and Coffee.

John K. Wakamatsu

#7 Buffalo 66

Buffalo 66

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 10:47 PM

I like almost all cars from 1/1 down to 1/32 scale. OK, not Yugos and HO and such. The cars of my you't (as Cousin Vinnie would say) in the '60s of course are the very best. I can only afford to run "Charity" or "Parade" laps at VIR a couple times a year. The photo on the left was taken on a parade lap between heats at a Tudor race last year.

But I can practice with slot cars a couple times a week and race every month. Racing anything is expensive. Not to worry though, I'll still race slot cars after I win the big lottery, that is when I'm not racing the real vintage racer of my pipe dreams.

Paul Rogers

The Bog wants a Porsche!

#8 garyvmachines

garyvmachines

Race Leader

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 01:59 AM

Hey, Pablo, they missed one... The 1981 Mercury Cougar...  I pumped more money into that pig...

Gary Vogeler
12/9/60-8/29/20
Requiescat in Pace

#9 Bob Chaney

Bob Chaney

Slot Car Hobbyist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 01:53 PM

Car and Driver recently did a page on the "most valuable" movie vehicles. Number One is Steve McQueen's Porsche 917 (#20) used in "Le Mans"

Currently owned by Jerry Seinfeld, the actual value is .. unknown.  Far and away the most valuable car in existence, I think.

(this entry has been edited by the author due to Swiss' well founded skepticism ..sorry about that)

Ô¿Ô bob chaney :: slot car hobbyist

.. how's it going? too early to tell, too late to do anything about it :: Q>
.. it will always be easier to create penalties for violation, than reason for conscience

.. one thing's for certain, nothing's for sure .. everything is possible, nothing is likely
.. (early advice from HT) .. don't just write there, say something!
.. if it wasn't this, it would just be something else .. no good deed goes unpunished
.. we are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us .. damn bukowski

#10 DPmax

DPmax

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 05:47 PM

I have a car worth 313,000... oh wait, that's 313,000 miles on it, never mind.

Max Bowers

#11 Gator Bob

Gator Bob

Grand Champion Poster

• Banned
  • 13,391 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 05:59 PM

What ever I'm driving at the moment is my most valuable.

Posted Image
                            Bob Israelite

#12 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 25,614 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 07:52 PM

Car and Driver recently did a page on the "most valuable" movie vehicles. Number One is Steve McQueen's Porsche 917 (#20) used in "Le Mans"

Currently owned by Jerry Seinfeld, the estimated value is in the triple digit millions ..well into the triple digit millions.  Far and away the most valuable car in existence, I would think.

Well over $100,000,000?

I'm a bit skeptical.

This certainly doesn't indicate that much.
http://m.caranddrive...at-car-movie#18

Mike Swiss

17B West Ogden Ave., Westmont, IL 60559, (708) 203-8003, mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address)

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 692 Citadel Drive, Westmont, Illinois 60559

#13 Bob Chaney

Bob Chaney

Slot Car Hobbyist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 08:03 PM

Well over $100,000,000?

I'm a bit skeptical.

This certainly doesn't indicate that much.
http://m.caranddrive...at-car-movie#18

Once again, my memory and current evidence do not go hand in hand.  I remembered a pretty specific figure from the magazine article but found the same information online as you did.  Now checking the magazine, I find the evidence has been altered.  I did not make this up, nor do I have evidence of the time travelers who have plagued my life since my teens ..I will withdraw my statement based on the changes made, shake my head, and continue to wonder regarding their actions.

Sorry Mike ..and everybody else.  

It is still the coolest car around :0)

Ô¿Ô bob chaney :: slot car hobbyist

.. how's it going? too early to tell, too late to do anything about it :: Q>
.. it will always be easier to create penalties for violation, than reason for conscience

.. one thing's for certain, nothing's for sure .. everything is possible, nothing is likely
.. (early advice from HT) .. don't just write there, say something!
.. if it wasn't this, it would just be something else .. no good deed goes unpunished
.. we are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us .. damn bukowski

#14 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 25,614 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 08:38 PM

NBD on the quote.

It just seemed a bit high, comparing it to the prices quoted on the Ferrari's in this article.

No question, cool car and super valuable.

Shows you the power of syndication.

I'm glad faces like Jay Leno and Seinfeld are car nuts and collectors.

Mike Swiss

Electric Dreams Online Shop